The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

2 hours ago, Green Day said:

Question for the Dons fans -

Shankland, banging them in for Utd, was seemingly gash for you guys and quickly disappeared to League 1 or 2

Why did no top div clubs go for him? Is he a zoomer, does he like the marching powder? 

Or is it just that he is good at that level???

He was shite and overweight for St Mirren when we had Alex Rae as manager. Then went to Morton and was also shite for them. Clubs weren't exactly desperate to sign him when he went to Ayr United, at the time most Championship clubs would have considered him at best an average signing. 

It’s always the bit about “Derek McInnes has taken us as far as he can” or “the eye-bleeding football we play now” that I can’t understand. If he has taken us as far as he can, where do our fans realistically think that someone else, whoever that is, can take us? Maybe he has taken us as far as he can, but also maybe he can keep us where he has taken us, instead of “someone else” coming in and taking us back to where we were before. The “eye-bleeding football” one particularly gets me. Given that last season, which only ended a few months ago, he took us to the League Cup Final, the Scottish Cup Semi Final and finished fourth to qualify for Europe playing “eye-bleeding football”, would our fans rather be following the green and white Brazil 1970 and getting absolutely nowhere? I doubt it very much.

What’s the point getting to Hampden though ?

We got to the League Cup Final and had one shot that hit the bar....sorry, the Celtic defender hit the ball against his own bar.

For the SF, I didn’t pay £35 to watch Celtic pass the ball about, like an exhibition game for 90 minutes.

His defensive, eye bleeding negative football is now reaching a point where the Fans will stop going.

3 hours ago, Green Day said:

Question for the Dons fans -

Shankland, banging them in for Utd, was seemingly gash for you guys and quickly disappeared to League 1 or 2

Why did no top div clubs go for him? Is he a zoomer, does he like the marching powder? 

Or is it just that he is good at that level???

There was an interview I read with him a month or two back where he said something along the lines of he probably wasn’t properly applying himself at clubs before, until McCall at Ayr convinced him it was his last opportunity/got him on the right tracks. 

Possibly a bit of the latter as well.

14 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

It's gone tits up since Scott Mckenna handed in a transfer request. Get him in the stocks on Castlegate, rotten fruit at the ready.

The director I mentioned earlier told me that the request was handed in by his agents, not McKenna. "He's joined a new agency who have more power than a lot of clubs" was also mentioned. The squad know the situation and his relationships with his teammates and management are as good as ever. 

33 minutes ago, G-MAN said:

His defensive, eye bleeding negative football is now reaching a point where the Fans will stop going.

Think we’re definitely at that point by now. Fans will put up with the style of play if we’re climbing the league and challenging, or really doing something. They won’t, quite rightly, when we’re miles off the pace and our only tactics seem to consist of playing long balls to Cosgrove with no-one within 20 yards of him.

1 hour ago, G-MAN said:

What’s the point getting to Hampden though ?

We got to the League Cup Final and had one shot that hit the bar....sorry, the Celtic defender hit the ball against his own bar.

For the SF, I didn’t pay £35 to watch Celtic pass the ball about, like an exhibition game for 90 minutes.

“Eye bleeding”! Great cliche.

9 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

There was an interview I read with him a month or two back where he said something along the lines of he probably wasn’t properly applying himself at clubs before, until McCall at Ayr convinced him it was his last opportunity/got him on the right tracks. 

Possibly a bit of the latter as well.

Sounds about as bright as Jason Cummings then...............

9 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

The director I mentioned earlier told me that the request was handed in by his agents, not McKenna. "He's joined a new agency who have more power than a lot of clubs" was also mentioned. The squad know the situation and his relationships with his teammates and management are as good as ever. 

I wasn't really being serious. I don't have any issue with Mckenna.

I don’t think the intended style of football is wildly different to say the 16/17 season when we had our best side under mcinnes.

The idea has always been to go direct to the front man and have the three behind the striker get on the ball high up the pitch on the 2nd ball and play from there, then get the fullbacks involved overlapping.

The problem is that the three are nowhere near Sam most of the time so the ball comes straight back at us. There’s very little tempo to our play so we become incredibly easy to defend against.

The sitting midfielders aren’t taking the ball off the centre halves enough so we’re not transitioning through the middle either. The eventual outcome is us becoming increasingly reliant on set pieces to score and it is frankly brutal to watch.

The question is how much of it is mcinnes and how much of it is our creative players not stepping up to the mark. I’d say it’s a bit of both.

I must say the lack of flexibility in this style doesn’t reflect brilliantly on derek.

I’ve no idea how true this is, but I’ve seen on Facebook that apparently “a group of fans” are going to be staging a protest outside the RDS on Saturday from 2.00pm, and handing out “McInnes Out” flyers. If this is happening it would be more embarrassing than our performance last Saturday at Ibrox.

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I’ve no idea how true this is, but I’ve seen on Facebook that apparently “a group of fans” are going to be staging a protest outside the RDS on Saturday from 2.00pm, and handing out “McInnes Out” flyers. If this is happening it would be more embarrassing than our performance last Saturday at Ibrox.

Correct, how’s that going to help things?