The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

If we're bringing anyone else in this window I hope it's a full back in the Max Lowe mould (on either side, maybe preferably RB).

If we could add that extra dimension to our attack, sacrifice one of our midfield 3 for say Kennedy playing no 10 we might have a bit more joy opening teams up.

Genuine question or couple of questions.

Do you believe in the long run Aberdeen would finish as regularly in the positions they have without McInnes? Even discounting for the fact the Rangers weren't as strong and saying they were the equivalent of 3rd place finishes. Historical evidence suggests not

If the answer is no then does that even matter? Would you like a change just because it's something different from the norm? I am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that just curious as to whether some of the fans think that deep down we likely wouldn't be as stable and as regularly finishing where we are which there's no denying has been pretty good. They are just so fed up of the norm. Or do some people actually think a different manager could realistically compete for the league? surely not?

9 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Do you believe in the long run Aberdeen would finish as regularly in the positions they have without McInnes? Even discounting for the fact the Rangers weren't as strong and saying they were the equivalent of 3rd place finishes. Historical evidence suggests not

If the answer is no then does that even matter? Would you like a change just because it's something different from the norm? I am not suggesting there's anything wrong with that just curious as to whether some of the fans think that deep down we likely wouldn't be as stable and as regularly finishing where we are which there's no denying has been pretty good. They are just so fed up of the norm. Or do some people actually think a different manager could realistically compete for the league? surely not?

I suspect people hope that a new manager would have us playing in a more exciting manner and also see us perform better in the higher profile games. Mcinnes' success has generally been built on consistently beating who we should be beating (albeit less so of late) in a pretty functional manner.  An achievement in itself but not particularly exciting.

I think ultimately what you say is right, it's just about a fresh face to make things exciting again for some people.

Guest Bob Mahelp

Football fans are fickle lot. I'm not happy with the way we're playing just now but then I think back over the last 28 years or so and you know, I think McInnes deserves a bit of slack to build a new team. 

I was lucky enough to be around in the good old days, and when I think back even the great Aberdeen sides played some turgid shite against the likes of Airdrie, Partick Thistle, Kilmarnock et al.

I sat shivering through 0-0 draws at Pittodrie against the likes of Dumbarton with 6000 others, where you could hear Fergie talk to Archie Knox in the dugout it was so quiet. I was at Kilbowie in 1985 when one of the best Dons' sides ever lost 2-1 to a Clydebank team that could hardly string a pass together and ended up relegated . 

The handful of Dandies there booed the team off and shouted abuse at Fergie before he headed up the tunnel. 

The point is that even great sides have bad periods. McInnes has put some good sides together over the last 6 years, but he just hasn't been able to get the team over the line and winning things on a regular basis.......some of that has been bad luck, some of it pitiful performances, a lot of it has been coming up against very good Celtic sides at Hampden.

There were signs yesterday that with Kennedy and McGeough playing together, we're getting closer to playing better football. I'd like to see this team develop, and I'm sure that McInnes will get the chance to get it right.

I think he's deserved that chance. Just my humble opinion. 

Edited by Bob Mahelp

16 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

As bad as it sounds, his time is coming to a whimper of an end. I haven't seen the last three games live sadly but judging from the dirge before New Year, it seems things have continued that way.

Ultimately, McInnes should have taken the Rangers job offer or when he chose to stay, shaken up his staff and scouting departments to bring in fresh ideas and new challenges. When a manager intends to stay long term, he needs to shake up his staff, players and scouting every 5-6 years to bring in new blood, fresh thinking and different tactical insights.

That McInnes hasn't overly changed any of them is probably his downfall.

This, absolutely this. I don't hate Derek. I want him to be able to turn it around but I just think he has too big an ego and is too stubborn to make the changes needed to turn it around. At one point yesterday the camera panned to him and Sheerin on the bench. Sheerin just looked like he was in agreement with everything McInnes said and then we waited another ten minutes or so for any change. 

2 hours ago, ScottishZizou said:

Yeahhh…I think the way the club was run and the circumstances has a lot to do with things before suggesting history supports McInnes.

Let’s ignore the Ferguson era because it prevents The Rest making faces and screaming “aye Ferguson n at but”.

From 1970 (when Dick Donald became chairman & Chris Anderson vice-chairman) until 1998 when you-know-who became chairman there were 21 seasons sin Fergie and AFC finished outside the top 5 just five times (and only twice outside the top 6). In that time they won 5 cups or 1 every 4.2 years.

Since 1998 until McInnes arrived there were 16 seasons. AFC finished outside the top 5 eleven times with only Jimmy Mahogany and Ebbe providing relief. They won 1 cup or 1 every 16 years.

McInnes has bucked the trend by getting Aberdeen back to no more than where they should be in the league (and 1 cup in 6.5 years) almost despite the chairman but for most of his tenure he has been the first AFC manager in two decades working without a £10M-£15M restrictive debt hanging over him.

Don’t get me wrong, McInnes can only work with the tools he has and he’s done a competent job and in the early years a bang up job. I honestly think his problem is a lack of confidence in his own ability. The longer he’s been here, the more safety-first he’s become which, to me, suggests fear. Incidentally it's also exactly what the St. Johnstone fans predicted way, way back.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

I sat shivering through 0-0 draws at Pittodrie against the likes of Dumbarton with 6000 others, where you could hear Fergie talk to Archie Knox in the dugout it was so quiet. I was at Kilbowie in 1985 when one of the best Dons' sides ever lost 2-1 to a Clydebank team that could hardly string a pass together and ended up relegated . 

Point of order - Dumbarton spent one season in the Premier League in 84/85 and were defeated 1-0 and 4-0 at Pittodrie.  I spent my only ever game in the wing stand for the first one and McDougall scored after a minute.

Leatherdale offers this on the Kilbowie game of 10 Dec 1985 att: 2,095

Clydebank’s first win in 11 games produces this incredible result. The crowd at Kilbowie Park cannot believe their eyes. Larnach heads in after Hughes’ mighty free-kick crashed off the bar. Dickson then stabs in McCabe’s drilled cross. The Bankies resist Aberdeen’s furious riposte.

Feels quite a lot like the tail end of the Calderwood era where it seems like the players are being held back and could/should be playing better. Then we had McGhee...

I wonder how much the inherent drive of Shinnie and Hayes hid the limitations of McInnes' tactics/approach. The past 18 months I'm not sure you can identify what the team are trying to do.

We get possession just inside our half, pass it around a bit, attackers are just standing still next to their markers, ball ends up with Taylor/McKenna who pump it long, Cosgrove wins the header on the accurate ones, no-one is within 20 yards of him so the opposition pick up the ball, repeat for 90 minutes.

3 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Aye we did tell you about his limitations, he's still more than capable to achieve 3rd most years and a couple of cup finals, what more should Aberdeen expect?

They shouldn't expect anything more. He has AFC where it should be as their main contemporaries, Hearts & Hibs, are under performing badly. However, I've no doubt that the flat-line is the problem; the fear of celtic and rangers is there for all to see, the failure to learn any lessons in Europe, the dreadful, dreadful football on offer. 

6 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's the Aberdeen way.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's not the 80s anymore. Not many highlights since then, even the famous ASC are done.

This is what happens when St Johnstone win a football match. Not as bad as Hearts, mind.

4 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It's not the 80s anymore. Not many highlights since then, even the famous ASC are done.

Aye great punditry Kris Boyd.

Nobody's saying we should be winning the league but setting up against the old firm more negatively than teams on much smaller budgets  do, particularly at home just antagonises the fans. There's no need to play the horrendous style of football either. Plenty of players in that team capable of holding on to the ball.

Edited by Rodhull

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is what happens when St Johnstone win a football match. Not as bad as Hearts, mind.

M8 we've lost 1 in about 8 or 9, settle down.

1 minute ago, logie skid boys said:

40 th anniversary this year and some of us can still see our toes .  

:lol: fair play, there's a fair amount of ours dead, not too many fatties out who's left.