The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

52 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm sure you're an expert on how a sheep's mind works but lets get back to the football Shinnie and McLean are two perfect examples of Aberdeen's failure to sell a house that Milne built.

We got £400k for mclean and got him back until the end of his contract. In terms of maximising what we could get for an out of contract player that's fantastic. 

Don't really care what the two mini cheek yo yo clubs have got for players to be honest. I'd rather we didn't sell any good players. 

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

He likely thinks we should have been offering our best players to other clubs.

It’s not just him, I hear that point being made on podcasts over the years too but there’s no indication that decent bids came in for any of these players. We may have got bids for them but were they enough to sign a long term replacement capable of performing to the same level. As much as we’d all love to get good money for key players if they’re to leave sometimes getting another season out of them performing well before leaving at the end of the contract can be the better option.

Mclean being a case in point. We got 300k and another half season of him when he was probably in his best form for us and arguably was our best player. If we’d sold him at the start of the season or even the prior season I’m not convinced we would have got that much more for him and we definitely would have struggled to replace him.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The fact that 25 years ago your biggest asset was sold for £1.7 million and ewe lot haven't had one since is a major flaw in the set up at Aberdeen.

Outside of the old firm how many players have sold for more than that since? It’s not that common. 

3 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I'm sure you're an expert on how a sheep's mind works but lets get back to the football Shinnie and McLean are two perfect examples of Aberdeen's failure to sell a house that Milne built.

As Aberdeen fans we don't have the luxury of being insulated by a budget that allows us to pay high wages and afford high transfer fees. Our football budget is heavily balanced toward paying wages rather than toward paying transfer fees. With that trade off being the case, a player who is of higher monetary value is worth more on the pitch for the last year of his contract, as we cannot afford the transfer fee, plus wages, of a like for like replacement. Even with our football budget being weighed toward wages, we still can't offer the salary levels of the OF*, English Championship and English League One clubs. So expecting Aberdeen to follow a similar transfer policy to Celtic is a false equivalent* I'm afraid. 

*equivalence

Edited by Golden Gordon

4 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

Outside of the old firm how many players have sold for more than that since? It’s not that common. 

Aberdeen are one of the biggest teams in Scotland if st johnstone can sell callum Davidson or Dundee utd can sell goodwillie for a couple of million why isn't it happening at Aberdeen?

1 minute ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Aberdeen are one of the biggest teams in Scotland if st johnstone can sell callum Davidson or Dundee utd can sell goodwillie for a couple of million why isn't it happening at Aberdeen?

What players have we had that you think should have gone for fees like those?

Willy isn't actually entirely wrong on this one, tbf.

It is certainly a concern just how many of our top talents have walked away under freedom of contract over the years and I think we've made efforts to correct that.

We've been quick to get Cosgrove, Mckenna and Ferguson on new deals early on as their stock is rising to ensure they don't walk out on us.

Why Willy thinks we should be trying to exchange football knowledge for money is beyond me though.

It's not an annual occurrence or anything, but Hibs have sold O'Connor, Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Fletcher, and Mcginn for more than that. He's wrong about Hibs highest fee being the 4.4m for Brown fwiw, Fletcher Hibs got more for after sell on fees got added. Mcginn will likely be the same.

3 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
19 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

It's not an annual occurrence or anything, but Hibs have sold O'Connor, Whittaker, Thomson, Brown, Fletcher, and Mcginn for more than that. He's wrong about Hibs highest fee being the 4.4m for Brown fwiw, Fletcher Hibs got more for after sell on fees got added. Mcginn will likely be the same.

Yeah that generation that Hibs brought through must have done wonders for the club's finances but I don't think there are any players at Aberdeen that would have gotten close to some of those fees.

You can argue that is maybe down to a certain failure in Aberdeens youth scouting and training but there haven't been players demanding those kind of fees that Aberdeen have mismanaged as Aberdeen definitely would have sold them if there were.

2 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
18 minutes ago, Rodhull said:

So mcginn in the last decade-ish. 

We could have sold McKenna for more than any of them but chose not to. Because we're not diddies 

Is it a fault of ours that we haven't shipped off our biggest assets? Instead of selling them at the first sight of cash we kept them and they helped our team to our best period in decades.
Look at what happened to Dundee United when they flogged all they're players. Hibs sold all those players and yet haven't come near to the consistency at the top of the league that we have. We didn't sell them because we didn't need to.

Hopefully improving our performance on trading players is about to happen in the next 12 months.

We've made mistakes not actively marketing players and maybe when weve been forced in to doing it this summer to plug the gap it will make us think about future years

13 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What happened to Dundee United when Jackie McNamara sold all of their best players? I think there's a cautionary tale in there somewhere. 

1 minute ago, TheDon99 said:

Is it a fault of ours that we haven't shipped off our biggest assets? Instead of selling them at the first sight of cash we kept them and they helped our team to our best period in decades.
Look at what happened to Dundee United when they flogged all they're players. Hibs sold all those players and yet haven't come near to the consistency at the top of the league that we have. We didn't sell them because we didn't need to.

Beat me to it 99!

2 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Nice,Football knowledge is asking a player if he wants to move on or sign another contract at least a year before the one hes on runs out.

Yes Willy, I'm sure in all the examples being cited we haven't realise their contracts were running out until February/March of their final year.

17 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

I like them odds.
Since the Bosman ruling where the power changed to the players, the sheep haven't protected their club with transfers.

6 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Nice,Football knowledge is asking a player if he wants to move on or sign another contract at least a year before the one hes on runs out.

You've already answered your own question, to be fair.