The Famous Aberdeen - Season 2022/23

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

:lol:

This is fucking brilliant. Did he really say that?! 

It was something to that effect.

He indicated that none of it was a coincidence, don't you know who Lewis' Dad and brother are..wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

6 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Where?

Mcinnes mentioned him and a couple of others not been training this week, and that due to the break they've seen a few more niggly injuries.

He also said that Devlin is the only one who they expect to miss the start of the season.

12 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

https://www.afc.co.uk/2020/07/14/the-manager-update-on-redtv/

Not good news on Mikey. It does read like they're expecting Cosgrove to go but I'm a cynical c**t.

Edit: I don't think Devlin has once come back within the expected recovery time either.

Agreed.  You get the feeling that if Guingamp's bid is matched & it's an English side that matches it, Cosgrove will be away. 

3 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

I'm not expecting him to start the season with us.

Wouldn't surprise me.  That's potentially Cosgrove & McKenna away pretty soon then.  Hopefully get more than £1.75 million for both of them, to save Willy's embarassment for us!  Only concern I have is that any transfer fees received will be used to cover the coronavirus shortfall, so it's anyone's guess what the quality of their replacements will be. 

18 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

Wouldn't surprise me.  That's potentially Cosgrove & McKenna away pretty soon then.  Hopefully get more than £1.75 million for both of them, to save Willy's embarassment for us!  Only concern I have is that any transfer fees received will be used to cover the coronavirus shortfall, so it's anyone's guess what the quality of their replacements will be. 

I'd hope we don't sell both but if needs must then fair enough. Cosgrove will be easier to replace than McKenna IMO. It sounds a bit mental as he's had a consistent scoring rate the past 18 months but McKenna gets far too harshly criticised.

16 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If we're replacing him, I won't be devastated at losing Sam to be honest, particularly for a significant fee.

Clearly we're very short up front if he goes though.

If Sam goes and McInnes resists the urge to get in a like for like (Stewart at Ross County) then we could finally see a change to the style of play.

Just now, Merkland Red said:

I'd hope we don't sell both but if needs must then fair enough. Cosgrove will be easier to replace than McKenna IMO. It sounds a bit mental as he's had a consistent scoring rate the past 18 months but McKenna gets far too harshly criticised.

If Sam goes and McInnes resists the urge to get in a like for like (Stewart at Ross County) then we could finally see a change to the style of play.

Agreed. I'm not a great lover of the big target man striker anyway (just personal preference) but I do think he has a negative impact on the way we play. Too many hopeful crosses and long balls forward, particularly when we're low on confidence/running out of ideas.

Rooney for example was a lot more intelligent off the ball and gives defenders more to think about, creating space for the 3 behind to get involved and create.

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

If we're replacing him, I won't be devastated at losing Sam to be honest, particularly for a significant fee.

Clearly we're very short up front if he goes though.

I feel the same to be fair.  Although he's scored a fair few goals for us now, I can't really get past my initial view of him as Stockley mark II.

4 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

That's always my hope, that McInnes drops the target man approach & we try to keep the ball on the ground.  We've still got Curtis on the books, mind you...

5 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Agreed. I'm not a great lover of the big target man striker anyway (just personal preference) but I do think he has a negative impact on the way we play. Too many hopeful crosses and long balls forward, particularly when we're low on confidence/running out of ideas.

Rooney for example was a lot more intelligent off the ball and gives defenders more to think about, creating space for the 3 behind to get involved and create.

Yeah. Rooney's time was up and we were right to basically force him out the door but he was very intelligent. His legs just couldn't do what his mind wanted anymore.

Cosgrove is far too easy an outball for our defence. He's brilliant at winning fouls so it makes a lot of sense but it's not a great watch.

1 minute ago, Golden Gordon said:

I feel the same to be fair.  Although he's scored a fair few goals for us now, I can't really get past my initial view of him as Stockley mark II.

That's always my hope, that McInnes drops the target man approach & we try to keep the ball on the ground.  We've still got Curtis on the books, mind you...

He's threatened it a couple of times. Fingers crossed!

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I think it's possible to argue that Walter Smith has a lot to answer for, in terms of McInnes' tactical approach at times.  Especially with the CB's in midfield against 'feared' sides. 

10 minutes ago, Golden Gordon said:

I think it's possible to argue that Walter Smith has a lot to answer for, in terms of McInnes' tactical approach at times.  Especially with the CB's in midfield against 'feared' sides. 

Christ min, you want to be careful what you put on here.

You seriously don't want WastedWilly going off on another of his masonic conspiracy theories.

1 hour ago, Golden Gordon said:

Agreed.  You get the feeling that if Guingamp's bid is matched & it's an English side that matches it, Cosgrove will be away. 

France will have another transfer window at some point in August/September, wouldn't be surprised if Guingamp keep working on Cosgrove if they were willing to spend €3M.