Dundee United 2014/15 Season

On Jim Spences twitter feed and spotted on another as well. Turns out he doesnt fancy League 1 football as he would be spending most of his time on the team bus due to all the travelling over 46 games

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's disappointing then. His agent must have told him it wasn't looking like he was going to get much better than Sheffield and League 1 so he's gone for Celtic. It'll be interesting to see if the good form he's shown in January so far will last much longer then.

If you genuinely are livid then you should probably take a look at your priorities in life.

Hows that? One of our better players signs a precontract with a club we are trying to challenge despite repeatedly claiming he wants to go down south to play, so why do you think its not acceptable to be a bit pissed off at that?

If you genuinely are livid then you should probably take a look at your priorities in life.

Think you're being a bit unreasonable there.

Not the thread, maybe not even the forum for this, but I've said previously that pre-contracts are a ridiculous idea for clubs playing inthe same league. Can't imagine another 'industry' where you could signal your intention to go to work for a competitor six months in advance.

I for one think it's highly unlikely we could beat Celtic to the title. However we do have two crucial league games to play against them that could have a bearing on where we finish. We are also still in both the cup competitions where we could still play them.

If he helps us win a cup then he can leave with my best wishes, sign for Celtic and we can all live happily ever after.

(However, if we finish 5th, get pumped by Aberdeen then humiliated by Stranraer i'll boo the diving wee fucker until the day he retires :angry:)

Edit - Fair play to GMS. He seems like a fine lad and although i'd rather he went down south i'll still wish him all the best. He's got some amount of talent and hopefully he'll get a few more caps for Scotland after his move.

Twinkle, do you genuinely believe that United are 'challenging' Celtic?

Id say that we are still in the hunt on the same 3 fronts as them and have never been as close to them in the league at this stage of a season for god knows how long. Im not suggesting that from now on it will be a two horse race between us two but its the worst Celtic team in donkeys and you hope they regress enough that someone can 'challenge' them to a point. One of our best players goes to them, strengthening them and weakening us. Its happened regularly when either of the old firm felt under a bit of pressure from a provincial club, lets sign one of their better players or leak it to the press suggesting we are interested in a player in an attempt at unsettling guys

Hows that? One of our better players signs a precontract with a club we are trying to challenge despite repeatedly claiming he wants to go down south to play, so why do you think its not acceptable to be a bit pissed off at that?

Twinkle, you seem quite close to the edge. Would that be fair to say?

To be fair to GMS, by 'down south' he was probably imagining a good Championship team. A Johan Russellesque transfer.

The major plus side of a pre-contract rather than an immediate transfer is that we've got him as a considerable asset for the rest of the season, no reason to believe he won't now be really buzzing to push on from here in. Unless of course he gets cunted from the stands.

Winning goal in the SCF against Celtic would do nicely.

Twinkle, you seem quite close to the edge. Would that be fair to say?

Not really. To be honest, i think you might be reading in to it a bit too much. Your concern is admirable though champ

Think you're being a bit unreasonable there. Not the thread, maybe not even the forum for this, but I've said previously that pre-contracts are a ridiculous idea for clubs playing in the same league.

Pre contracts are a compromise which fall short of allowing genuine free movement of players. The alternative is that players can just f**k off halfway through their contract to sign for other teams.

Can't imagine another 'industry' where you could signal your intention to go to work for a competitor six months in advance.

Then your imagination is rather limited. In virtually all other industries you can f**k off at any time to work for a competitor (subject to giving appropriate notice etc.).

Not really. To be honest, i think you might be reading in to it a bit too much. Your concern is admirable though champ

My concern most certainly is not admirable. You claimed to be livid about a stranger changing jobs. I simply suggested that you need to re-evaluate your priorities you mental b*****d.

Pre contracts are a compromise which fall short of allowing genuine free movement of players. The alternative is that players can just f**k off halfway through their contract to sign for other teams.

Then your imagination is rather limited. In virtually all other industries you can f**k off at any time to work for a competitor (subject to giving appropriate notice etc.).

Are you PMSing today?

We are talking about players under contract they cannot f**k off at any time, neither were they able to prior to the introduction of pre season contracts.

Are you PMSing today? We are talking about players under contract they cannot f**k off at any time, neither were they able to prior to the introduction of pre season contracts.

I'm surprised that's not used more often, tbf.

Are you genuinely interested in the reasoning behind the introduction of so-called pre-contract agreements? I can explain it if you want or you could just google it.

I'm surprised that's not used more often, tbf.

Are you genuinely interested in the reasoning behind the introduction of so-called pre-contract agreements? I can explain it if you want or you could just google it.

Be my guest.

Be my guest.

Lazy bugger. It's four minutes to five so here's the concise (and lumpy) version:

Rules preventing the free transfer of football player registrations contravene Article 39 (as was) of the EC Treaty because they impede the free movement of workers. That's what Bosman was about. The European Court went further and suggested that even transfers during the term of a contract could contravene Article 39. UEFA took fright and agreed a compromise with the EC which included pre-contract agreements. The alternative was the likely abolition of the transfer system entirely.

Google the 'sporting exception' and you should be able to find a more comprehensive (and comprehensible) explanation.

If G can break into the first team I think it'll be a fantastic move for him. Disappointing that he's not got enough confidence to go down south and try and make a real career, however and IMO I've said if for while I think United is G's level, he isn't even our best player, on his day he is unplayable at this level but he doesn't turn up any where near often enough to go much further than United. He's away to earn about £10k and have an easy career is probably a no brainer.

Lazy bugger. It's four minutes to five so here's the concise (and lumpy) version: Rules preventing the free transfer of football player registrations contravene Article 39 (as was) of the EC Treaty because they impede the free movement of workers. That's what Bosman was about. The European Court went further and suggested that even transfers during the term of a contract could contravene Article 39. UEFA took fright and agreed a compromise with the EC which included pre-contract agreements. The alternative was the likely abolition of the transfer system entirely. Google the 'sporting exception' and you should be able to find a more comprehensive (and comprehensible) explanation.
That explains the legal situation, it doesn't justify it. As you say a compromise, a bad one IMO. However I can understand why it was made. Of course just because it's the law it doesn't make it 'right' and it doesn't mean that I can't criticise it.
If G can break into the first team I think it'll be a fantastic move for him. Disappointing that he's not got enough confidence to go down south and try and make a real career, however and IMO I've said if for while I think United is G's level, he isn't even our best player, on his day he is unplayable at this level but he doesn't turn up any where near often enough to go much further than United. He's away to earn about £10k and have an easy career is probably a no brainer.
'G' really. Either Gary or GMS please peeeeel!I agree that it could be a good move for him, better wages and far more opportunity to play in European competitions than if he had gone down South. Also a stick on for future Scotland squads.However I reckon he'll come under immense scrutiny over the next few months and rightly so. Christ he's only been playing well for the last three games, prior to that he had been anonymous. If he goes back into his shell he will get pelters.

This is the situation we are stuck with in Scottish football. We've been able to leave GMS out of the team because we have had players outperforming him, but, we can't compete with the wages of English Championship or even many League One sides.

GMS is good enough to play Championship football, or even Premiership football if he plays at his best consistently, but given he hasn't done it for 12 months, there ain't that many sides interested in him. Celtic will happily take him off our hands, treble his wages and stick him on the bench - thats life.

Granny says he is a stick on for future Scotland squads at Celtic, but I doubt it - he'll end up like Leigh Griffiths - kicking his heels on the bench.

Archived