Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My own opinion is that it is a poor move. He IMO should be trying to challenge himself with something different, maybe even abroad. The choice of going to Celtic to play in the same league is a lazy one despite the promise of silverware and a bit of extra cash. The money is something he could have made somewhere else rather than Celtic. However I do understand if he wants to stay in Scotland without uprooting his life whilst being able to earn a bumper contract. Not convinced he will be that great for Celtic.

A bit harsh/revisionistic to suggest GMS has been a 3-game pony this season. He has 5 goals (joint 2nd; the most he's ever scored in a season is 7) and 4 assists (joint 1st) so far and was playing well (usually not superbly, but well enough to merit starts ahead of others) until his big dip in form/confidence a few months back, and has now hit excellent form. Granted, less showboaty stuff.

A bit harsh/revisionistic to suggest GMS has been a 3-game pony this season. He has 5 goals (joint 2nd; the most he's ever scored in a season is 7) and 4 assists (joint 1st) so far and was playing well (usually not superbly, but well enough to merit starts ahead of others) until his big dip in form/confidence a few months back, and has now hit excellent form. Granted, less showboaty stuff.

Well it's all a matter of opinion. If you read my past posts you'll see I'm being consistent. Yes he's scored 5 goals; 4 of them in the last three games. Mind you it wasn't his shortage of goals I was finding frustrating it was his general lack of contribution and apparent indifference.

If, indeed, the deal has been done I will be interested to see how he performs on Saturday.

OK, here's my amateur reading of the situation.

I assume when he said he wanted to go down south, it was either because he assumed Celtic would not come in for him, or if they did he assumed he would get a few better offers from England than have actually materialised. Or, maybe, he was lying all along, but based on the limited amount I know about him, I have no reason to think that. I take his previous comments in good faith.

It's easy for us to say that he should sit tight and wait for other offers, but who is to say these offers will come along? If it's a straight choice between Sheffield United and Celtic, as it appears to be right now, then Celtic are the better choice in my opinion. Sheffield United are a League One club, and there is no guarantee they will go up this season. For all that people are saying he should try his luck abroad, that's fine in theory, but that rather depends on foreign clubs actually being interested in signing him.

If Celtic have put him in the position of signing right now or the offer being withdrawn, it would be daft of him not to take it. Based on his level of consistency over the last year, who can guarantee he'll get a better offer? He might continue to play as well as he has done in the last few games, and a line of English Championship clubs might appear outside his house. But, he might get injured on Saturday, or his form might go down the shitter, and the game's a bogey.

Anyone who feels some kind of personal betrayal about this, I respectfully suggest they should get a life. He was always leaving at the end of the season, if not sooner, and has never once pretended otherwise. GMS owes us nothing. I wish him the best of luck wherever he ends up.

Think you're being a bit unreasonable there.Not the thread, maybe not even the forum for this, but I've said previously that pre-contracts are a ridiculous idea for clubs playing inthe same league. Can't imagine another 'industry' where you could signal your intention to go to work for a competitor six months in advance.

are Dundee united not doing that with attempting to get Stephen I donnell and billy McKay on pre contracts? Not having a go at united because they are fully entitled to do that but is it not kind of similar.

are Dundee united not doing that with attempting to get Stephen I donnell and billy McKay on pre contracts? Not having a go at united because they are fully entitled to do that but is it not kind of similar.

It's exactly the same. That's why I'm critical of the concept not of the clubs or the players.

That explains the legal situation, it doesn't justify it. As you say a compromise, a bad one IMO. However I can understand why it was made. Of course just because it's the law it doesn't make it 'right' and it doesn't mean that I can't criticise it.

It means that if you're going to criticise it you should at least be aware of the alternative, which would undoubtedly be worse for teams like United.

It means that if you're going to criticise it you should at least be aware of the alternative, which would undoubtedly be worse for teams like United.

Yeah because there's only two alternatives. I'm of the opinion that the position adopted by the European Court was wrong. I believe that certain types of employment contract should be exempt from the rules so long as the parties enter into these contracts willingly. I'm sure you will support my right to hold these opinions even if you disagree with them and even if the position adopted in the Bosman ruling is unlikely to change in the foreseeable future.

I for one wont abuse him but hes probably now just gone and lost some respect within the support for moving there instead of down south like he repeatedly stated he was doing.

Just hope he enjoys playing United and the easy games and not playing much in the bigger games :D but wish him the best nonetheless for what hes done for us.

I'm a wee bit sad about this but i'm certainly not going to hold it against GMS. He obviously didn't fancy League One (fair enough) but i'm quite surprised that no Championship clubs down south showed an interest which i'm sure would've been a much more interesting prospect for him.

I for one wont abuse him but hes probably now just gone and lost some respect within the support for stating his next career move is down south then he goes and signs for Celtic instead.

Just hope he enjoys playing United and the easy games and not playing much in the bigger games :D but wish him the best nonetheless for what hes done for us.

No doubt the dimwits will think less of him but that's just the nature of dimwits.

GMS indicated that his preference was for a move back to England but when push came to shove the best offer came from Celtic. Anybody wanting to hold his previous comments against him isn't worth bothering about. He's been an excellent player for United and doesn't owe us anything. I suspect if he manages to overcome his persistent injuries that he'll get a crack at a decent club in England again in the future. In the meantime he'll get a very generous wage and the chance to win trophies and play in the Europa League on a regular basis.

Archived