Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Will be slightly seething if we sell Armstrong to Celtic for £2.5m. I know it's a great offer and every other team in Scotland would take it, but it's not like we're desperate for money and should at least hold out for ridiculous sums.

Losing four of your best players in a year. ugh

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be slightly seething if we sell Armstrong to Celtic for £2.5m. I know it's a great offer and every other team in Scotland would take it, but it's not like we're desperate for money and should at least hold out for ridiculous sums.

Losing four of your best players in a year. ugh

£2.5M for a guy who has 18 months left on his contract is probably as good as we're going to get and avoids the unseemly scenario of actively touting him for sale in the summer. It'd also be nice for GMS if he got to play with his wee pal next season.

Edit: the arabazone interview with the pair is even better. Such nice boys.

£2.5M for a guy who has 18 months left on his contract is probably as good as we're going to get and avoids the unseemly scenario of actively touting him for sale in the summer.

I think you are wrong and want to fight you.

Guarantee there will be no shortage of offers for Armstrong in summer and we should be looking north of 3 million for imo the best player out of United since Billy McKinley.

I'm take £2.5 million for Armstrong and spend some of it on upgrading our undersoil heating. I reckon he would be a big loss but he's not irreplaceable.

If Hibs are not promoted next season (I hope they are along with Hearts) we should make a bid for Scott Allan.

I think you are wrong and want to fight you.

Guarantee there will be no shortage of offers for Armstrong in summer and we should be looking north of 3 million for imo the best player out of United since Billy McKinley.

Let's take this outside (don't forget your coat, it's freezing out there).

There's no way Allan's coming back to United. Far too much bad blood when he left and if he keeps up his form at Hibs he'll surely be looking to move back down South again. A move from Hibs to United would be at best a sideways move (in terms of money, profile etc., notwithstanding that we're a better team at the moment) and I think he's made it quite clear that he rates himself as better than that.

Got to laugh at celtic. They have more money than anyone in scotland. They have a huge training and development centre. Yet they still struggle to produce their own players and rely on buying the best from other clubs in scotland

Im sorry but this is absolute rubbish, in the past decade or so we have brought through the likes of Mcgeady, Maloney, Mulgrew, Marshall, Miller, Kennedy etc. One of which we made a record transfer fee out of.

We currently have Henderson, Mcgregor and Forrest still breaking through with a few more beind them.

We also have had players who have 'done a job' in Odea, Smith.

We have had players who have played a few games then sold or might have been poached off us but we still made money in Feruz and Wallace.

We had a club captain in Mcmanus who we then sold on for a couple of mil.

We then took young players from part time football to develop in McGinn and Watt who contributed to the team before moving on elsewhere.

Im sure there are some more blatant ones but this is just off the top of my head.

With the money we have made the facilities and the cost of running it has more than paid for itself.

The main problem for us before was that we couldnt afford to lose games so it was always going to be harder to get in to the Celtic than anywhere else in Scotland so other players who were with us had to go elsewhere, Snodgrass and Robertson being two that would walk in to our team now but they both had to drop pretty low before becoming premier league players.

Despite the quality of our players dropping year after in the era I have mentioned due to our budget being now the lowest since the turn of the millennium it still is quite hard to get in but Deila seems more than comfortable to give youth a chance so we may see even more coming through now.

Im sorry but this is absolute rubbish, in the past decade or so we have brought through the likes of Mcgeady, Maloney, Mulgrew, Marshall, Miller, Kennedy etc. One of which we made a record transfer fee out of.

We currently have Henderson, Mcgregor and Forrest still breaking through with a few more beind them.

We also have had players who have 'done a job' in Odea, Smith.

We have had players who have played a few games then sold or might have been poached off us but we still made money in Feruz and Wallace.

We had a club captain in Mcmanus who we then sold on for a couple of mil.

We then took young players from part time football to develop in McGinn and Watt who contributed to the team before moving on elsewhere.

Im sure there are some more blatant ones but this is just off the top of my head.

With the money we have made the facilities and the cost of running it has more than paid for itself.

The main problem for us before was that we couldnt afford to lose games so it was always going to be harder to get in to the Celtic than anywhere else in Scotland so other players who were with us had to go elsewhere, Snodgrass and Robertson being two that would walk in to our team now but they both had to drop pretty low before becoming premier league players.

Despite the quality of our players dropping year after in the era I have mentioned due to our budget being now the lowest since the turn of the millennium it still is quite hard to get in but Deila seems more than comfortable to give youth a chance so we may see even more coming through now.

Forrest has been 'breaking through' for 5 years now, and I'd expect the same for the others you've mentioned.

Your dead wrong about Robert Snodgrass btw he wasnt even at Celtic (if he was he wasn't old enough to actually count as a Celtic youth) he choose Livingston at youth level so he dont count ;)

According to Robert Snodgrass wiki page.

Born in Glasgow, Snodgrass grew up in the Gallowgate area, the youngest of three boys (Steven and Tony)[4] and two girls (Michelle and Tracey).[citation needed] His boyhood club, Celtic, offered him an apprenticeship, along with Clyde and Livingston. He felt that he had little chance of breaking through at Parkhead, so chose Livingston.

I realise that and I do hold the other chap equally culpable.

Anyway, it seems that there are United fans who want to discuss Celtic's youth set-up in the United thread so what do I know. I'm adding their names to the list.

No i was just correcting him about Snodgrass as i dont really want to discuss Celtic's youth rather talk about my own team tbh, discussing their youth is that not what Ceptic threads are for bud?

I realise that and I do hold the other chap equally culpable.

Anyway, it seems that there are United fans who want to discuss Celtic's youth set-up in the United thread so what do I know. I'm adding their names to the list.

No i was just correcting him about Snodgrass as i dont really want to discuss Celtic's youth rather talk about my own team tbh, discussing their youth is that not what Ceptic threads are for bud?

cosby-confused-face.png

Forrest has been 'breaking through' for 5 years now.

Agreed, but that is mainly down to injury as he cant seem to keep himself fit for more than half a dozen games, otherwise he would be in the team most weeks.

Your dead wrong about Robert Snodgrass btw he wasnt even at Celtic (if he was he wasn't old enough to actually count as a Celtic youth) he choose Livingston at youth level so he dont count ;)

According to Robert Snodgrass wiki page.

Fair enough, my point was really accepting that we let ones slip through at times. Him not being one now though.

Agreed, but that is mainly down to injury as he cant seem to keep himself fit for more than half a dozen games, otherwise he would be in the team most weeks.

Fair enough, my point was really accepting that we let ones slip through at times. Him not being one now though.

No offence but no one gives a flying f**k about Celtic or their youths here and if they do, they need their heads seen too.

Archived