Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Don't mean to intrude on a thread for Dundee Utd fans but I was excited about the rumours of Armstrong coming to Celtic and had a look on here. Have to say I think those who are saying he wouldn't be interested in a move to Celtic are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. Armstrong looks a cracking player and I'd be delighted if we signed him because I think he is capable of following in the footsteps of McCarthy and Fletcher, but if Celtic thought he was holding out for a move to the Premiership I don't think we would be interested.

Without even considering the financial implications of a move, he would be moving to a massive club (albeit with a half empty stadium), winning trophies, playing in Europe and from next season onwards playing in Old Firm games (probably...well, maybe).

Does this set some sort of world record for sheer density of bollocks in one short post?

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

United: "We want £2.5 million for him". Celtic: "Here take £2.7 million". Yeah I'm sure that happened.

This.

They won't be offering £2.7m as a starter!

As for Jason Holt? Yes yes yes. I've been very impressed every time I've seen him, and my Hearts supporting mate loves him.

Incidentally, he's only being kept out of the team by two players, named Gomis and Buaben. :rolleyes:

Moving to United must be a very attractive proposition looking for a chance of first team football at a decent level with the opportunity to move on to higher things.

They'll look at players who have come in, not through the youth system like Gauld, but from far lower leagues (Robertson), slower but more natural progression (Armstrong), or having dropped down the league's to rebuild (GMS) and realise that if they have what it takes then they will get opportunities.

Hmmmm, wonder what Sir Thommo sees that the current Jets owner doesn't. Also wonder if any tie-in with United will be allowed or if it's a completely separate business venture for The Baldy One down under, sister Justine taking the reins at Tannadice.

If Armstrong has been paying attention to Gauld's progress in Portugal then he has to be looking higher/further than Celtic. Would be a really lazy move unless he's no other decent suitors as with GMS. Assuming United are willing to sell now at the price offered.

Holt - he looks incredibly lightweight for a DM (is he a DM?), is he any good? Why isn't he getting a game ahead of Prince and Gomis?

EDIT: Footy Manager has Holt as a MC/AMC. Farewell, Stretch.

Hmmmm, wonder what Sir Thommo sees that the current Jets owner doesn't. Also wonder if any tie-in with United will be allowed or if it's a completely separate business venture for The Baldy One down under, sister Justine taking the reins at Tannadice.

If Armstrong has been paying attention to Gauld's progress in Portugal then he has to be looking higher/further than Celtic. Would be a really lazy move unless he's no other decent suitors as with GMS. Assuming United are willing to sell now at the price offered.

Holt - he looks incredibly lightweight for a DM (is he a DM?), is he any good? Why isn't he getting a game ahead of Prince and Gomis?

EDIT: Footy Manager has Holt as a MC/AMC. Farewell, Stretch.

Because they're pretty fcuking good?! As for Holt, I'd say he was more forward thinking, but still a centre mid.

As for the Newcastle Jets thang, I have a theory. Probably utter bollocks, but still...

ST has made it clear before he doesn't want to be chairman forever. Perhaps it is a project for him, to semi-emmigrate to Australia, and leave his sister to take up the reigns at Tannadice.

Because they're pretty fcuking good?! As for Holt, I'd say he was more forward thinking, but still a centre mid.

Quite a simplistic answer. I've done a bit of digging and apparently Hearts use a straight-forward 4-4-2, with Neilson prefering a stable middle two rather than flair or great attacking intent. Hence, Holt hasn't been getting a look in. Hearts fans seem to think that he'd be a great fit in United's system.

Current owner needs money to pay the taxman. That's why he's selling.

Ah, simple as that? Fair enough, cheers!

I see you're down under. Do you pay attention to the A-League? To the Jets? Anything to share about the club?

The more I think about this the more I think that Armstrong leaving has been in the works / expected for a wee while.

Murray and then Anier signed, sniffing around Holt. Gives us the option of Ciftci dropping into midfield and/or Holt as a direct replacement for Armstrong, or at least in direct competition with Telfer and Erskine for that position.

/hatwithtinfoilbobble #holttodonsstretchrunsdowncontract

This.

They won't be offering £2.7m as a starter!

As for Jason Holt? Yes yes yes. I've been very impressed every time I've seen him, and my Hearts supporting mate loves him.

Incidentally, he's only being kept out of the team by two players, named Gomis and Buaben. :rolleyes:

Your love for ex Utd players shows no end. It is Neilsons system that is keeping Holt out of the team more than anything, it would be like asking Erskine or Connelly to play in Patons position.

Don't mean to intrude on a thread for Dundee Utd fans but I was excited about the rumours of Armstrong coming to Celtic and had a look on here. Have to say I think those who are saying he wouldn't be interested in a move to Celtic are indulging in a bit of wishful thinking. Armstrong looks a cracking player and I'd be delighted if we signed him because I think he is capable of following in the footsteps of McCarthy and Fletcher, but if Celtic thought he was holding out for a move to the Premiership I don't think we would be interested.

Without even considering the financial implications of a move, he would be moving to a massive club (albeit with a half empty stadium), winning trophies, playing in Europe and from next season onwards playing in Old Firm games (probably...well, maybe).

Are you suggesting that Celtic, or any club, wouldn't try to sell themselves to a player who has ambitions of going even higher? That would seem to be a terribly complacent attitude to adopt.

Anyway, I'm sure if Celtic make an acceptable bid that Armstrong would consider it. He's still only 22 and it would do him no harm to play a couple of seasons at Celtic on massive wages, win a couple of trophies, play in the Europa League and then move on to a proper big club when he's 24. I wouldn't be surprised if the signing of GMS was made partly with a view to attracting Armstrong.

Obviously my preference would be for Armstrong to stay until the summer and then move straight to England but I can see why a move to Celtic would be good news for the player and for Celtic.

The more I think about this the more I think that Armstrong leaving has been in the works / expected for a wee while.

Murray and then Anier signed, sniffing around Holt. Gives us the option of Ciftci dropping into midfield and/or Holt as a direct replacement for Armstrong, or at least in direct competition with Telfer and Erskine for that position.

/hatwithtinfoilbobble #holttodonsstretchrunsdowncontract

Nadir will surely be away in the summer as well, I would have thought.

Robbo, Gauld, GMS, Armstrong and Nadir in the space of a year.

:(

Aye, but the club should be millions in the black by that point and still able to field a strong team:

A Keeper

Dillon - Morris - Fojut - Townsend

Butcher - Telfer

Erskine - Spittal - Connolly

Anier

Obviously that relies on us keeping Townsend, Dillon and Butcher but I expect all three would be happy to stay if given the opportunity. I think that team would still be good enough to challenge for a European place and you would expect there to be further signings to improve the squad.

Edit: Sorry Ryan. Obviously Dow would be in there at someone's expense most weeks.

Your love for ex Utd players shows no end. It is Neilsons system that is keeping Holt out of the team more than anything, it would be like asking Erskine or Connelly to play in Patons position.

Love of ex-United players? Well, in so much as I think that Buaben and Gomis are better than Paton and Rankin, yes. I think Hearts fan's adoration for them and their phenomenal season thus far kind of backs that case up.

However it would be nothing like you claim. Erskine and Connolly are VERY different players to Holt, who is a central midfielder - more forward thinking than Buaben/Gomis, but no more so than the likes of Telfer.

Anyway, I say sign him. He'd be a cracking signing for us.

Love of ex-United players? Well, in so much as I think that Buaben and Gomis are better than Paton and Rankin, yes. I think Hearts fan's adoration for them and their phenomenal season thus far kind of backs that case up.

They're playing in the Championship. In the big league last season, Gomis couldn't get a game for us and Bauben had a fairly uninspired spell with a mediocre Partick team.

I'm not entirely sure if the warm diarhoea you smear over this thread is you trolling, or not.

They're playing in the Championship. In the big league last season, Gomis couldn't get a game for us and Bauben had a fairly uninspired spell with a mediocre Partick team.

I'm not entirely sure if the warm diarhoea you smear over this thread is you trolling, or not.

Warm diarhoea? lol

Interesting how people dismiss Hearts achievements by the way. Remember how much we struggled after we were relegated, and we spent a shit load of money.

Archived