Dundee United 2014/15 Season

That's a fantastic move for Cathro!

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/latest/back-page-chat-craig-gordon-tom-taiwo-rangers-1-3466244:

Scottish coach Ian Cathro is set to be appointed as the new assistant manager of Spanish cracks Valencia (Sun).

Football cliches thread for this pish.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent move for him. Read an interesting article yesterday on him from a couple of years back not long after he got the head of youth job at tannadice.

Funnily enough he comes accross as not particularly enjoying football, and sees it totally as a job / career. Whether he meant to come accross that way or not I don't know, was on the beeb after all!

I remember some moans and groans from parents about his arrogance, unwillingness to listen to their advice (lol) etc

Well a bit like of arrogance and bloody mindedness never held McLean, Ferguson or mourinho back.

Cathro as manager when we win euro 2020. Armstrong as captain with gauld player of the tournament following his 80m move to barca.

Is it same management team as rio ave or he going to be working under someone different? Speaks

Volumes if he has been recruited by a new manager

Same gaffer as Rio Ave, the old Porto keeper, only 1 year deal for both but great opportunity at a really big club with the same standing as Atletico.

No doubt talented at his job, he's the classic example of someone who has been fortunate to meet the right people at the right time.

He wouldn't be in Spain - with Portugal in between - had he not met his current boss on a course.

Talent is one thing, but you need a bit of luck along the way, and he's had it.

No doubt talented at his job, he's the classic example of someone who has been fortunate to meet the right people at the right time.

He wouldn't be in Spain - with Portugal in between - had he not met his current boss on a course.

Talent is one thing, but you need a bit of luck along the way, and he's had it.

Lucky? Really? Just luck? Or hard work and shrewd networking? From what I've read luck doesn't come into it.

Lucky? Really? Just luck? Or hard work and shrewd networking? From what I've read luck doesn't come into it.

I didn't say "Just luck". I said "A bit of luck".

And that's undoubtedly true.

Courier reporting that Hull have upped their bid to the £2m mark for Andy. I really hope he doesn't go there - it's irrational but it just doesn't like a step up. Of course they are a better team but they just sound shit. Don't leave Andy.

Courier reporting that Hull have upped their bid to the £2m mark for Andy. I really hope he doesn't go there - it's irrational but it just doesn't like a step up. Of course they are a better team but they just sound shit. Don't leave Andy.

What the hell is it with these clubs? I'm fairly sure they will have been given a strong indication of the sort of price that United are looking for, they'll also be aware that other clubs are interested. Yet they come in with these daft incremental offers.

What was interesting about the Gauld situation was (from all that has been reported) is that Sporting Lisbon decided they wanted the player and came in with an initial offer of the level that they believed United would accept. Maybe the EPL clubs could learn a lesson.

By the way AM, it is a step up. Not only are they in the English Premiership but they're currently 7th. :P

What the hell is it with these clubs? I'm fairly sure they will have been given a strong indication of the sort of price that United are looking for, they'll also be aware that other clubs are interested. Yet they come in with these daft incremental offers.

What was interesting about the Gauld situation was (from all that has been reported) is that Sporting Lisbon decided they wanted the player and came in with an initial offer of the level that they believed United would accept. Maybe the EPL clubs could learn a lesson.

By the way AM, it is a step up. Not only are they in the English Premiership but they're currently 7th. :P

If you were to uproot yourself from the Dobbies area would you consider moving to Hull?

West Ham have just signed a left back so of imagine they'll drop their interest in Robertson now. Thing with Hull is they play 3-5-2, so if he goes their and plays he's be playing as a left wing back. Which might not be a bad thing for him, it would help hide his slight weaknesses defensively compared to how well he attacks.

If you were to uproot yourself from the Dobbies area would you consider moving to Hull?

If Hull wanted me as their left back I would sign in a minute. I'd have to hope they have the Sevco doctor doing the medical though.

If Hull wanted me as their left back I would sign in a minute. I'd have to hope they have the Sevco doctor doing the medical though.

Taribo West could put you in touch with a guy who will provide you with a birth certificate.

I know what you mean about hull.

I was shaggin a bird from Hull in magaluf on a boys hol years ago, and one night she said, "hold me drink I'm off for a poo".

So on that basis alone, Andy can do far better.

Archived