Dundee United 2014/15 Season

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hes being linked with us in the press today Alert Mongoose and yeah Gomis has been linked with them for a few days now bud but he also has The Zombies and Dundee looking at him lol

Sauce

Paul Cairney, one of 11 players released by relegated Hibs, is wanted by Dundee United. (Daily Express)

tbf Zetterlund Jackie has worked with cairney before at Plastic Whistle so maybe he knows about his strengths and weaknesses and thinks he could do a job in Tangerine and Black?

Also weve written off certain signings off before and theyve turned round and surprised us all one example in our current squad John Rankin :D

tbf Zetterlund Jackie has worked with cairney before at Plastic Whistle so maybe he knows about his strengths and weaknesses and thinks he could do a job in Tangerine and Black?

Also weve written off certain signings off before and theyve turned round and surprised us all one example in our current squad John Rankin :D

No offence mate but while there is no doubt Rankine has improved with us, he was always a much better player than Cairney has ever been. I'm hoping that the link is nothing more than the fact that Jackie Mac worked with him at Thistle so some lazy journalist has put two and two together.

Going by their own thread the Thistle fans wouldn't take him back - Championship player at best. He actually made Eremenko look athletic last time I seen Cairney play at Tannadice just after the turn of the year.

Personally I'd rather have Erskine as an option but that area of the team isn't a priority for strengthening. I think until we have signed a proper defender or two any other transfer speculation is just going to make me nervous - can't journos make up some stories about centre halves?!

Hopefully its just a link due to previously being together and yeah that would help lets try and get them convinced that we want Rio Ferdinand lol :D

The word 'bargepole' comes immediately to mind when the rumours ofthese Hibs boys as potential targets springs up. Even Thompson was utterly horrendous when he came on the other day.

Rankin isn't comparable as AM says, he was always a decent player and Hibs fans didn't want to see him go.

Still eagerly awaiting news of a gigantic ogre of a centre back being signed.

I won't bother to comment on Gomis, but there's a widespread appreciation for Rankin and Paton as a midfield partnership which simply isn't merited. The Scottish Cup Final was a prime example of them being unable to get grip of a game and dominate the play, and it has happened time and time again this season against the top six teams - even Partick Thistle have dominated our midfield!

Rankin at the start of the season was great, I won't deny that; his performance for me in the 4-0 St Mirren game was about as complete a midfield performance as I have seen in a United shirt, but it simply hasn't been maintained. His performances since the turn of the year have tailed off, which seemed to coincide with him signing a new contract. I still like Rankin, but he is capable of more.

My views on Paton have been made clear.

Paul Paton is the ugly Iniesta.

Rankin isn't comparable as AM says, he was always a decent player and Hibs fans didn't want to see him go.

Yeah they did. Rankin was another example of a player doing well at other clubs then not being all that good at Hibs. They were laughing at us for weeks when we signed Rankin. Even a year after he moved to us there were still a couple of Hibs morons on here trying to write him off as pish despite the fact he'd been our player of the year and we'd finished 4th.

ETA: But I agree about the Rankin situation being non-comparable. Rankin had a good spell with ICT in the SPL which earned him his move to Hibs in the first place while Cairney came up from the first division and had a good two or three months back at the start of the 2012/13 season but has done nothing of note since. I'd keep Gardyne or even Erskine at a push rather than signing him.

Yeah they did. Rankin was another example of a player doing well at other clubs then not being all that good at Hibs. They were laughing at us for weeks when we signed Rankin. Even a year after he moved to us there were still a couple of Hibs morons on here trying to write him off as pish despite the fact he'd been our player of the year and we'd finished 4th.

Welcome to our world! We're constantly told our players are shite despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Hmmm, not my recollection. Most Hibs fans were annoyed that he wasn't getting a game and was transferred. Various Hibs (and Hearts) toleys on here tried to play the LOL reject / LOL ex-Hibee wind-up game for a year or so afterwards until it was clear that he was doing well at United. Karma has treated them well either way :thumsup2

News on Good not looking too good :( also Jackie is targeting defenders :)

Sauce

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/sport/dundee-united/dundee-united-have-to-wait-for-good-answer-1.388763

It's only bad news if you were daft enough to think that Newcastle or Good himself would commit to another loan deal before the divots have even been replaced from this season.

Hmmm, not my recollection. Most Hibs fans were annoyed that he wasn't getting a game and was transferred. Various Hibs (and Hearts) toleys on here tried to play the LOL reject / LOL ex-Hibee wind-up game for a year or so afterwards until it was clear that he was doing well at United. Karma has treated them well either way :thumsup2

I dug out the topic about Rankin signing for us back in 2011 and there were far less Hibs fans in there slagging him off there than I remembered actually. They must have done it in our match threads at the start of that season I guess as I'm sure quite a few of them spent a long time informing us that he was total pish. Funnily enough though there were plenty of other fans lining up to point and laugh at the signing. In particular Lex's opinion about Rankin is slightly amusing in retrospect.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/148115-john-rankin-signs-for-dundee-utd/?hl=%2Bjohn+%2Brankin

I dug out the topic about Rankin signing for us back in 2011 and there were far less Hibs fans in there slagging him off there than I remembered actually. They must have done it in our match threads at the start of that season I guess as I'm sure quite a few of them spent a long time informing us that he was total pish. Funnily enough though there were plenty of other fans lining up to point and laugh at the signing. In particular Lex's opinion about Rankin is slightly amusing in retrospect.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/148115-john-rankin-signs-for-dundee-utd/?hl=%2Bjohn+%2Brankin

:lol:

Some cracking quotes in there; some ridiculously wide of the mark and some spot on.

<Looks accusingly at Desert Nomad>

Tbf at the time I thought John Rankin was a terrible signing, glad he proved me wrong.

"David Robertson is a better player" :lol:

Archived