Dundee United 2014/15 Season

Andy Robertson's impressive performance for Scotland tonight might make him more of a target for one of the English clubs unfortunately. Only positive would be a sale and loan deal.

Think the bank are on a fair wedge of any transfer fee we receive this summer, unfortunately.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Union's bouncers aren't usually Dundonian. Given that I'd say the majority of Dundee University's Scottish students (At least in my experience) tend to be bigger Rugby fans than football, I'd wager that most haven't heard of Gauld or any of the club's players. The video of Gauld in the Union 'enjoying' United fans singing songs towards him in the toilets would back this up considering the Union is known for quaking itself at even the slightest bit of local enjoyment.

You wonder what actually went on when they were "forced" into taking a holiday halfway through the season, seemed an utterly stupid tactic from McNamara at the time, and the poor form afterwards probably backs that up

You wonder what actually went on when they were "forced" into taking a holiday halfway through the season, seemed an utterly stupid tactic from McNamara at the time, and the poor form afterwards probably backs that up

At the time I thought they were smart kids who would have seen the advantage in getting the chance to go away and take it easy for a few days, unfortunately now I wouldn't be surprised if the only times they took it easy were when they were hungover from the night before.

In retrospect, the best course action was probably give them a more prolonged rest on the sidelines in the second half of the season and had them a play a few more under 20s games and a couple less starts in the first team in order to rest them and build up their confidence again, particularly in Souttar's case. The decision to send them away doesn't seemed to have affected their match day performances in any long lasting positive way and they both seemed to have been burnt out by the end of the season.

We are getting him from under the noses of The Fun but seemingly according to the Queen's Park forum on here he recently signed a new deal so would be due compo of some sort.

Queen's Park are an amateur club so no compensation should be payable in law. However I believe there is an unofficial convention in place to pay Queens a modest sum in such circumstances. I hope whoever lands the lad does the decent thing by Queens Park.

We are getting him from under the noses of The Fun but seemingly according to the Queen's Park forum on here he recently signed a new deal so would be due compo of some sort.

Who said we wanted him ??

Queen's Park are an amateur club so no compensation should be payable in law. However I believe there is an unofficial convention in place to pay Queens a modest sum in such circumstances. I hope whoever lands the lad does the decent thing by Queens Park.

That "convention" (i.e. a moral obligation) was ignored by McNamara when he signed Andrew Robertson and Aidan Connolly. They did not pay compensation for Barry Douglas in 2010 either. Aberdeen, on the other hand, did cough up for Lawrence Shankland.

Thistle had to take legal action to get compensation for McNamara and Donnelly and may have settled for a lower figure. No wonder why Thistle fans hate Ratnamara!

That "convention" (i.e. a moral obligation) was ignored by McNamara when he signed Andrew Robertson and Aidan Connolly. They did not pay compensation for Barry Douglas in 2010 either. Aberdeen, on the other hand, did cough up for Lawrence Shankland.

Thistle had to take legal action to get compensation for McNamara and Donnelly and may have settled for a lower figure. No wonder why Thistle fans hate Ratnamara!

Those are not issues for the manager, they are issues for the chairman/board of directors. Thistle fans hatred is maybe a bit misdirected?

On the Queens Park issue, I agree that clubs should follow the convention; pretty grubby if they don't. However it would be far better if the rules were changed so amateur clubs had to receive payment by right reather than at the whim of the club who wants the player(s).

Those are not issues for the manager, they are issues for the chairman/board of directors. Thistle fans hatred is maybe a bit misdirected?

On the Queens Park issue, I agree that clubs should follow the convention; pretty grubby if they don't. However it would be far better if the rules were changed so amateur clubs had to receive payment by right reather than at the whim of the club who wants the player(s).

I agree with those points with one exception. Thistle fans were very upset by the way in which McNamara conducted himself, especially his comments in the media after he left.

The compensation that was due to be paid to Thistle was from Macnamara himself, not the club.

The club, however, behaved very shoddily regarding the signings of Douglas, Connolly and Robertson.

I totally agree that these payments should be compulsory though.

The compensation that was due to be paid to Thistle was from Macnamara himself, not the club.

The club, however, behaved very shoddily regarding the signings of Douglas, Connolly and Robertson.

I totally agree that these payments should be compulsory though.

To be fair they shouldn't need to be compulsory. We should be offering QP a reasonable fee especially bearing in mind it looks like we will be getting a decent wedge for Robertson in the near future. I'd argue that we should also offer a percentage of any sell on fee though thats easy for me to say not being asked to run the finances of the club.

Moral obligations shouldn't always be over-run by purely legal obligations.

Queens Park should get f**k all IMO. They are one of the richest clubs in the country and choose to stay as an amateur club.

They never got a development fee for Douglas because he left on a free, if/when Robertson leaves they will get a development fee and same goes for Connolly.

To be fair they shouldn't need to be compulsory. We should be offering QP a reasonable fee especially bearing in mind it looks like we will be getting a decent wedge for Robertson in the near future. I'd argue that we should also offer a percentage of any sell on fee though thats easy for me to say not being asked to run the finances of the club.

Moral obligations shouldn't always be over-run by purely legal obligations.

I don't disagree with that. However, it's evident that some clubs (including our own) don't always see their moral obligations in the same way as we do. Discretionary payments basically allow bigger clubs to take the p*ss if they're of a mind to. Different story when the boots on the other foot though. We have been on the receiving end of shoddy treatment too, but that still doesn't make it ok to shaft smaller clubs

Archived