f**k you Marko Ayr are staying up

Would we get any money if Crawford went to Sheff Utd? I know if he went to a Scottish club we would but what's the deal with cross border? I thought you would be due nothing but then why did Falkirk get money from Bradford for Mark Stewart?

Also on Jon Paul McGovern, he must be about 30 odds now if it's the same player i'm thinking of. Right winger ex Sheff Wed? Used to be quite good anyway....

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ordinarily you do get money for cross-border transfers but 'apparently' Ayr were too late to offer Shankland and Crawford the necessary contracts to enable us to receive a fee from an English club. No idea if that is actually true or not, however.

Ordinarily you do get money for cross-border transfers but 'apparently' Ayr were too late to offer Shankland and Crawford the necessary contracts to enable us to receive a fee from an English club. No idea if that is actually true or not, however.

Apparently there is a deadline for offering a contract for Europe and a separate one for Scotland

Apparently there is a deadline for offering a contract for Europe and a separate one for Scotland

I think it's 2 months outwith Scotland but only 2 weeks in. Clearly we left it very late if what is being said is true. I'm sure it was all mentioned earlier in the thread.

Sounds like the sort of incompetent mess we are capable of.

Although that said, i think Shankland and Crawford would be jumping the gun a bit. Another season at Ayr in the first team would probably benefit them more than a season in Sheff Utd's reserve squad.

Sounds like the sort of incompetent mess we are capable of.

Although that said, i think Shankland and Crawford would be jumping the gun a bit. Another season at Ayr in the first team would probably benefit them more than a season in Sheff Utd's reserve squad.

Without tanning their confidence, neither of those boys are anywhere near ready for a club that size yet.

If true, it's an absolute disgrace. I don't know who's job within the club it is to keep up to date with contracts but to just leave it until it's too late without noticing is a total joke. The club just keep making it harder and harder for folk to justify paying their money when it's clear it's going straight to a bunch of incompetent simpletons.

I made a similar thread last year and got a negative reaction - and yet you get a positive one.

Any ideas why?

I'm kind of a big deal...

Not sure on the reliability of my source, but was speaking to someone within the club last night and we're close to signing 5 players, one is an ex Celtic player called John Paul Mcgovern or something similar.

Also apparently Robbie Crawford has a trial with Sheffield United.

Jon-Paul McGovern confirmed.

Has a decent pedegree but a) is 34 in October and b) has been dicking about at Celtic Nation and Derry City for the past 12 months.

Was good enough to hold down a regular spot (right-midfield) in League 1 down south with Carlisle during season 2012/13 so lets hope he hasn't lost too much of what ever he has that allowed him to do that.

Could be a good signing - he certainly has the experience we need. I suspect he'll be on the right-hand side of midfield.

I wouldn't read too much into his recent career as he's only been in Ireland a couple of months, and I don't think he was at Celtic Nation all that long either. Pretty sure they were giving people stupid money so maybe he just took that opportunity but felt he still had more to offer on the pitch.

Im hoping McGoverns a good signing and having spend most of his career at a decent level in England should be a good player (although had expected Forrest to get a decent chance at right mid), but the last 12 months he hasn't done much at Celtic Nation or Derry, and Roberts has a track record of signing older experienced pro's who on paper look good signings, but end up being dreadful.

Any news on who the other 4 / 5 are?

Is McGowan definitely away then?

Last time I heard, he was trying to get a move back to the Republic of Ireland (Dundalk) as his wife is from there or something like that.

I'm not sure, if he's made any progress on that yet, what I do know is that they are currently half-way through the season there and top of the League of Ireland. So whether or not they are interested in signing anyone is a different matter.

Could imagine it though, he does sign for Dundalk, they do actually win the League and McGowan ends up playing in the Champions League next season (fair enough it would only be the second qualifying round).

ETA: Dundalk won't be able to get much business done at the moment. They are currently ten minutes in to their Europa League tie with Jeunesse Esch in Luxembourg.

Might be wrong but thought I read somewhere that a knee injury had called time on McGoverns playing at a decent level. Hopefully he is still a very good player as one thing is certain that our manager isn't the man to resurrect anyone's playing career.

Archived