Stirlingshire Cup 2014-15

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumbarton a big team :lol: :lol:

Won the top flight twice (once jointly with rangers), scottish cup once and been runner up in the scottish cup final 5 times. They are also the 4th oldest club in Scotland, I'd say for their history alone they're a big club in Scottish football terms.

Won the top flight twice (once jointly with rangers), scottish cup once and been runner up in the scottish cup final 5 times. They are also the 4th oldest club in Scotland, I'd say for their history alone they're a big club in Scottish football terms.

Done all that in the victorian times, Dumbarton are as small as us now

Done all that in the victorian times, Dumbarton are as small as us now

I'd say it still holds weighting though. Would you say queens Park are a small club? The club that basically changed football as it was knew back in the day and have played in TWO english fa cup finals. The team that are also known to have created a passing game that we all know today.

I'd say it still holds weighting though. Would you say queens Park are a small club? The club that basically changed football as it was knew back in the day and have played in TWO english fa cup finals. The team that are also known to have created a passing game that we all know today.

Queens Park are a tiny club nowadays

Are there any clubs in the SPFL smaller than the young whippersnappers of Stirling?

I think I know what the answer to this one may be...

Queens Park are a tiny club nowadays

Nowadays I'd probably the key word in your sentence there. I'm pretty sure pele couldn't come on a park and run rings around even the lowest level of players. Does that mean pele is nothing more than a diddy player? Of course not he's still one of the biggest players in the world. Similarly, queens Park ,at not compare to other teams that play at a higher level than them these days (mostly due to them taking tradition over dominance) but it doesn't make them any smaller a club.

Nowadays I'd probably the key word in your sentence there. I'm pretty sure pele couldn't come on a park and run rings around even the lowest level of players. Does that mean pele is nothing more than a diddy player? Of course not he's still one of the biggest players in the world. Similarly, queens Park ,at not compare to other teams that play at a higher level than them these days (mostly due to them taking tradition over dominance) but it doesn't make them any smaller a club.

Of course queens park are a tiny club if they had won anything recently i wouldnt think this but they havent won anything in 100+ years

Dumbarton a big team :lol: :lol:

I've never even heard of Stirling Albion tbqh

Glad to see that Stirlingshire's Premier clubs will fight out this prestigious cup final.

Absolutely buzzing for it.

In the early days of football the Dunbartonshire Cup was thriving - with big clubs like Dumbarton, Renton, Vale of Leven and so on. Even later on there were a number of smaller SFL clubs from the county including Helensburgh, Dumbarton Harp and the original Clydebank.

However, by 1931 all of them had folded/left the senior grade. From then to 1937 the cup was a single contest between Dumbarton and Vale OCOBA, an amateur club with SFA membership. It then became defunct.

Quite a number of clubs play in adjacent competitions for similar sorts of reasons. Think of St Johnstone (Perthshire) in Forfarshire Cup. Originally the Fifeshire clubs were under East of Scotland FA auspices, as did the Linlithgowshire clubs. Clackmannanshire clubs like Alloa Athletic or Clackmannan never had their own Clackmannanshire Cup and fell first under Fife, then under Stirlingshire. Ever since 1930s the Banffshire clubs have settled under Aberdeenshire FA control.

• 5 weeks later...

There is a statement on our OS saying that the Stirlingshire Cup will not be played next season

Seems to be due to the new league cup format. Stirlingshire FA are to enter into talks with the SFA over the future of the tournament 

Well, that's been coming.

Hopefully they manage to work out a sensible method of getting the whole thing done and dusted quickly rather than binning it for good.

Archived