FAO No Voters

loyal-blue

OK sorry. I assumed it was a thread where folk could say their piece and others could give a cogent and contrary view.

Clearly I got that wrong.

What you're talking about is bullshit, they take a job down in Westminster to work for the UK as a whole. To suggest they favour Scotland in any decisions because they happen to be born there is ludicrous.

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you're talking about is bullshit, they take a job down in Westminster to work for the UK as a whole. To suggest they favour Scotland in any decisions because they happen to be born there is ludicrous.

A groat to you if you can show me where I said, "they favour Scotland".

Keir Hardie and Ramsay MacDonald being dragged out of their long cold graves as relevant examples is about as funny as H_B's declaration of 1955 as 'recent'.

I know the difference between 'relevant; and 'recent'.

Unlike you I can state firmly that, "The 'Scots voice at Westminster' hasn't been the preserve of the 'posh boys'.. Arthur Henderson, Keir Hardie and Ramsay MacDonald would tell you otherwise."

This is factually true and relevant.

The fact that they are long dead makes them completely, 100% irrelevant to a discussion of Westminster representation in 2014, in the exact manner of H_B's 'the Tories won a majority of Scottish voted in 1955, you know' is irrelevant to their current prospects of doing so.

Thanks for playing anyway.

This passed me by first time...but have you always been of the opinion that Scotland would be better off with independence? That's an unusual view from someone who is so actively opposed to it.

Mr Bairn isn't actively opposed to it at all. He's a self-confessed troll on the independence threads - a terrible, terrible one at that. I don't think anyone bothers responding to him.

This passed me by first time...but have you always been of the opinion that Scotland would be better off with independence? That's an unusual view from someone who is so actively opposed to it.

Not always. It probably started to hit me late last year or early this year. I basically underwent the same transformation from "no" to "undecided" and finally "staunch yes" as anyone else, the only difference being I actually still plan I vote no.

My reasoning: Well, I basically accept that Scotland has a very high chance(90%+) of succeeding and being a fairer, prosperous nation that what we currently live in, however I don't care about my fellow Scotsman any more than my fellow UKer, or for that matter my fellow German, Italian, Dutchman or Portuguese. I'll draw the line at EU level. Thus, it becomes a rather monotonous process voting for what benefits "Scotland" when I care no more about the impact on other Scots than I do on the rUK that we are voting to leave. Thus, I end up voting for he who benefits me personally.

Tl;dr - Convince me that independence will put an extra £100 in my pocket and I'll vote for it.

Not always. It probably started to hit me late last year or early this year. I basically underwent the same transformation from "no" to "undecided" and finally "staunch yes" as anyone else, the only difference being I actually still plan I vote no.

My reasoning: Well, I basically accept that Scotland has a very high chance(90%+) of succeeding and being a fairer, prosperous nation that what we currently live in, however I don't care about my fellow Scotsman any more than my fellow UKer, or for that matter my fellow German, Italian, Dutchman or Portuguese. I'll draw the line at EU level. Thus, it becomes a rather monotonous process voting for what benefits "Scotland" when I care no more about the impact on other Scots than I do on the rUK that we are voting to leave. Thus, I end up voting for he who benefits me personally.

Tl;dr - Convince me that independence will put an extra £100 in my pocket and I'll vote for it.

How can it if your in London you twat?

Thank you for at least trying to address the topic at hand :)

But I'm having different figures thrown at me from different sources. Some say we are £1400 better off in the UK. How do I know who to trust?

Also, some businesses have threatened to pull out if we vote yes. Surely if this happened it would cause unemployment and total tax revenue would fall?

Of course the sons of the manse and the Fettes FPs are authentically Scots as anyone.

They are as authentically Scots as my current avator, Jenny Lee. She was elected MP in Lanarkshire in 1929 and my great uncle was drummed out of the Orange Order in Airdrie for supporting her. She then went on to become a cabinet minister.

The 'Scots voice at Westminster' hasn't been the preserve of the 'posh boys'.. Arthur Henderson, Keir Hardie and Ramsay MacDonald would tell you otherwise.

Of course they are as Scots as anyone. I never suggested otherwise.

They are of course entirely unrepresentative of most Scots. As indeed most parliamentarians are of the English and Welsh.

London is just a possibility. To be honest I would love to live abroad. But all possibilities must be accounted for.

O how I will chuckle if the ONLY place on earth you can get a job will be in an independent Scotland that you cant stand the thought of.

O how I will chuckle if the ONLY place on earth you can get a job will be in an independent Scotland that you cant stand the thought of.

What? I have no moral opposition to the Independent Scotland. If it was a yes vote then I'd want Scotland to do well. All my family and friends are here, for crying out loud.

What? I have no moral opposition to the Independent Scotland. If it was a yes vote then I'd want Scotland to do well. All my family and friends are here, for crying out loud.

Ok. So your a YES now. Well done,

you got there in the end.

Just dont go trolling the No side.

There's a difference between having a moral opposition to something and supporting the opposite.

I support the United Kingdom but it doesn't meant I'm going to hate Scotland if they vote yes.

Don't you mean "we"?

If not, can you bring yourself to admit that you identify with a different nation-state?

Archived