To what end, this is pretty much going to be through team that walked the league last season. We are not going to be able to make a big enough impact in Europe to justify spending big. I do think a couple of signing would be nice but its hardly desperate.

Because we need to at least qualify for the champions league. I don't mind bringing players through and selling them on for a profit but at the same time you need to retain a bit of quality. We have let far too many good players go without replacing them.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, we need to qualify for the CL and a couple of signings would help but i don't think we are desperately under strength and quite a lot of our support seem to have unrealistic expectations with regard to where we are in the transfer market and our desirability. We are not what we once were and the wages being paid now are going to leave us further and further behind.

Trying to sign a player from a team St Johnstone pumped last season :lol:

Hardly any wonder you rarely see Celtic fans on here anymore.

My god season not even started yet and here you are, trying desperately to troll Celtic threads. :lol:

Are players really going to be swayed by half a dozen Euro games as opposed to playing in a top league?

Yeah, as doing well in Europe for Celtic is a platform for these guys (and a money maker for us) to move to a bigger league

Look at Victor Wanyama for example, we signed him from Beerschot in Belgium. A relative small club. Does well for us, gets noticed, big money move to England.

Forster is another example, 3rd choice keeper at Newcastle, finished the season with Norwich in league 2, comes to Celtic, has big performances in Europe, went to a World Cup, and again could be potentially moving south for big money.

Opportunities I doubt either players would have had staying at Beerschot and Newcastle reserves respectively.

It's a good bargaining tool for us trying to sign anyone, look at some of the guys who have used the experience, performed at the highest level with the Champions League and moved to bigger clubs.

I think this will be the same for our manager, if Ronny does well he'll be snapped up as a young manager who has that experience.

I know what you are saying and in that respect you are correct. What i was getting at was in instances were a player has a choice between us or a club in one of the big leagues like England or Germany. In those cases i don't think us playing 6 CL games a season will be enough of a lure.

I know what you are saying and in that respect you are correct. What i was getting at was in instances were a player has a choice between us or a club in one of the big leagues like England or Germany. In those cases i don't think us playing 6 CL games a season will be enough of a lure.

Everything depends on the player, If you use Ryan Gauld as an example, a young upcoming player. if he went straight to the EPL from Dundee United, chances are he'd probably be sitting in the reserves not playing much football, but at Sporting, he'll gain more experience, can improve and in a few years will get his chance to move to england, germany, spain etc..

Same principle can be used for players coming to Celtic

If we are talking about a mid 20's international having the choice between Celtic and any EPL club, then yeah, we'll always come 2nd in that respect. especially with the money on offer. we simply can't compete and probably never will

We have a rumour....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2690985/Celtic-seek-loan-deal-Chelseas-young-Ghanian-winger-Christian-Atsu.html

Not sure what truth there really is in it though especially as it appears that the Champions league is being used as a carrot to lure him. We would probably need him during qualifiers. Seems like an up and coming decent player anyone know anything more about him?

Trying to sign a player from a team St Johnstone pumped last season :lol:

Hardly any wonder you rarely see Celtic fans on here anymore.

I know you're just trolling, but I'll bite.

The Rosenborg right-back in both games v St Johnstone, Cristian Gamboa, is just off the back of an excellent World Cup with Costa Rica. He was rightly praised for his performances against Uruguay, Italy, Greece and Holland. The latter where he kept Arjen Robben quiet.

How do you explain that?

Oh, and screw you Celtic.

Why couldn't you have hired an ex-player with limited tactical knowledge and a detestable personality? Instead, you go and hire a guy who wants football to be played properly and comes across really well.

:(

It was done just to piss you off QLP.

Objective achieved. :P

I don't know if there is a dedicated Celtic thread (and I don't want to venture into the Celtic/Rangers board) so I will put this in here -

Link

I started a blog about three weeks ago and I am beginning to preview this season by working my way through each team. I wrote a preview for Celtic (link above) and would appreciate it if people had a read and left any comments, feedback if you want. Thanks in advance!

I don't know if there is a dedicated Celtic thread (and I don't want to venture into the Celtic/Rangers board) so I will put this in here -

Link

I started a blog about three weeks ago and I am beginning to preview this season by working my way through each team. I wrote a preview for Celtic (link above) and would appreciate it if people had a read and left any comments, feedback if you want. Thanks in advance!

I'll tell you after tonight's game and see how good or shite we are ;)

A few whispers going around Zaluska is signing for Hibs

The handful of games i've seen him play at Celtic, which is mostly friendlies. he's been gash.

Sounds fit in nicely at Hibs

Archived