Anti homeless spikes

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know posting Daily Mash links is a bit old hat but this made me laugh.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/homeless-deterred-with-buzzards-2014060987346

The scheme will target a number of spots favoured by rough sleepers, with large, hungry buzzards stationed near the alcoves of residential buildings, on park benches, and in churches.

Wayne Hayes, 39, from Stockwell said: “The homeless have had things their own way for far too long. A bit of gouging from a buzzard or two and they’ll go and find proper homes straight away, I expect.”

Wasn't there a bit of a media uproar around 10years ago about "gated" communities?

Agree that social welfare system should be in place to help these people but attacking people/companies that don't want them occupying areas around their buildings isn't really addressing the root of the problem is it!

Wasn't there a bit of a media uproar around 10years ago about "gated" communities?

Agree that social welfare system should be in place to help these people but attacking people/companies that don't want them occupying areas around their buildings isn't really addressing the root of the problem is it!

Spot on. See if a homeless person was sleeping on my doorstep, I'd pour water on them through the letterbox.

If they want help they can ask for it. They choose to sleep rough and beg they can go sit on a spike

You're an absolute ghoul of a poster, tbh.

Meanwhile, Utah have almost eradicated homelessness entirely by...giving homeless people houses:

http://nationswell.com/one-state-track-become-first-end-homelessness-2015/

Which seems a novel approach to resolving issues.

Meanwhile, Utah have almost eradicated homelessness entirely by...giving homeless people houses:

I'd be far more comfortable with spiking the homeless. I mean, if there aren't any homeless, who are we to spike?

I see there's an online petition to get the spikes removed which has attracted 45000 signatures already.

I always find these petitions a bit one-sided tbh. What if there are 50000 people who want the spikes to stay? The figures don't look quite so impressive then, eh?

It'd make a lot more fucking sense if those 45,000 people petitioned for more available social housing and health & social care for the vulnerable then to moan about the spikes making it uncomfortable to sleep rough. Sleeping rough, by its very definition, isn't the easy option. The spikes are definitely morally wrong though, of that there is no question, but they're not the problem in themselves, they're just a sad side to a much larger and far sadder issue. They're not particularly new either, lots of buildings have some form of these things, a quick walk through Glasgow city centre at lunch time and you'll notice steel or concrete shapes implanted in the ground around all the posh glass and steel buildings in the financial district. Sad that we as a society look at the homeless as something to be kept out of sight from us, lest they depress us, but it's sadder still that these people have been allowed to become rough sleepers at all. As for those saying "they can get help if they want" etc, these are just the usual P&B trolls and fantasists who crop up with made up stories, fictional anecdotes and controversial opinions on nearly every General Nonsense thread.

That'll be those Utah Saints again.

It'd make a lot more fucking sense if those 45,000 people petitioned for more available social housing and health & social care for the vulnerable then to moan about the spikes making it uncomfortable to sleep rough. Sleeping rough, by its very definition, isn't the easy option. The spikes are definitely morally wrong though, of that there is no question, but they're not the problem in themselves, they're just a sad side to a much larger and far sadder issue. They're not particularly new either, lots of buildings have some form of these things, a quick walk through Glasgow city centre at lunch time and you'll notice steel or concrete shapes implanted in the ground around all the posh glass and steel buildings in the financial district. Sad that we as a society look at the homeless as something to be kept out of sight from us, lest they depress us, but it's sadder still that these people have been allowed to become rough sleepers at all. As for those saying "they can get help if they want" etc, these are just the usual P&B trolls and fantasists who crop up with made up stories, fictional anecdotes and controversial opinions on nearly every General Nonsense thread.

Nailed it. Presume some of the folk that want the spikes removed have used the phrase 'it won't solve the problem', and no, spikes won't solve the problem, but neither will removing them.

Anticipate there'll be someone along to berate what Utah are doing with something along the lines of 'WELL I PAID FOR MY HOUSE' in a minute as well.

I don't mind the homeless, but I wouldn't want one living next door.

The homeless can do what they like as long as its out of sight, it's the ones who are in your face with their homelessness I have a problem with, especially with children around. I mean I don't go around showing off that I have a roof over my head so why do they do it?

They even have places just for the homeless, but if it was the other way around it be bigotry or whatever,it's a disgrace. What's happened to great Britain?

Why?

Archived