Before the slagging starts it's the obvious title.

I for one do not like listening to any of the pundits so usually just tune for kick off/anthems, but I keep hearing and reading about the reason folk north of the Border/Scots in general don't follow England in cups when Scotland fail to qualify, is mentions of 1966 and previous winners etc.

After having to endure all last nights coverage on ITV I starting thinking maybe its bullshit as I cant recall 66 mentioned once.

So here's the challenge if you hear 66 mentioned stick a reply on here and we shall see if it is justified to not follow England or if it's paranoia or just hatred of England full stop then we can just bury the 1966 bullshit once and for all.

63 games to go, 37 till we go out! - should easily hit 100 mentions, we shall see!

The Scots seem to mention 1966 as much as the English. If countries interacted like P&B posters England would be saying stuff like "^^^ obsessed."

We mention the fact that they mention it. If they stop mentioning it then we will stop mentioning the fact that they keep mentioning it.

If it annoys you so much - Why the feck are you watching the pre-game build up? TBF anyone who has the channel on more than a minute prior to kick off is clearly a moron.

Switch on at kick-off time and turn the volume down so you dont have to listen to the commentary.

Easy, no mentions of 1966.

(and of course would you rather they were continually mentioning the England WC win of 2014, no of course not - so count your blessings)

Before the slagging starts it's the obvious title.

I for one do not like listening to any of the pundits so usually just tune for kick off/anthems, but I keep hearing and reading about the reason folk north of the Border/Scots in general don't follow England in cups when Scotland fail to qualify, is mentions of 1966 and previous winners etc.

After having to endure all last nights coverage on ITV I starting thinking maybe its bullshit as I cant recall 66 mentioned once.

So here's the challenge if you hear 66 mentioned stick a reply on here and we shall see if it is justified to not follow England or if it's paranoia or just hatred of England full stop then we can just bury the 1966 bullshit once and for all.

63 games to go, 37 till we go out! - should easily hit 100 mentions, we shall see!

I couldn't give a toss about '66.

I don't follow England for the same reason that I don't follow fcking Ghana.

I did this during the last couple of tournaments, and it was barely mentioned.

It's just a default excuse for England-bashing and has no basis in fact because the last two tournaments it was hardly mentioned at all.... but Scots still say they hear it all the time. Lies. They hear it in their own heads, and you'll probably find the exact same result this year I would imagine.

Jonathan Pearce during his car crash commentary last night put in a 1966 reference when talking about goal line technology. They'll stop at nothing to squeeze one in. It wasn't really necessary in 1966, Jonathan. No goal when it hit the bar, no goal when it hit the line. Linesman should have gone to Specsavers though.

Daniel sturridge snuck in a reference about it in amongst a load of stuff about how honest all the English players were and they'd never dream of bending the rules to gain an advantage. Not that it particularly bothers me, I don't support England for the same reason that a Dutch person wouldn't support Germany or a Spanish guy wouldn't support Portugal.

Archived