Knocked out teams

Blootoon87

A thread to discuss all the teams that have been knocked out.

Vent your anger/mourn/laugh here.

Spain - I'm quite happy they're out, makes a fine change. I thought they would show a lot more urgency in the last ten mins against Chile, they were still just tapping the ball about. Odd.

A thread to discuss all the teams that have been knocked out.

Vent your anger/mourn/laugh here.

Spain - I'm quite happy they're out, makes a fine change. I thought they would show a lot more urgency in the last ten mins against Chile, they were still just tapping the ball about. Odd.

Likewise. Spain were rubbish in both games so far and didn't deserve to remain in the tournament. Both Chile and the Netherlands have been much better.

Feel a bit more sorry for Australia as they just weren't good enough but actually played pretty well. I don't think many expected anything more from them though.

Australia have done better than people generally expected but expectations were very low. It would have been more interesting if they were in a poorer group. They were never going to do anything in this one.

To say Australia made up the numbers is insulting to them, and letting shite like Cameroon sneak completely under the radar. They were by far the weakest team in the group, but they pushed Chile fairly close (although fell apart a bit towards the end) and pretty much did the same to the Netherlands. I wouldn't put it last them getting some kind of result against Spain - a draw would see them finish third I believe.

Cameroon are clearly the worst team in the tournament. If they'd been up against a side who had moved the ball quicker late on last night, it could have been 8 or 9.

Scratching my head at Spain going out so early. Admire Australia for having a go in their games - guess they need to learn some tactics from the maestros in the Iran team. Cameroon used to be worth watching but won't be missed this time.

Cameroon used to at least be entertaining but this year they are just plain awful. One of the least creative international sides I've seen in a while. I'm sure they would have played better if their win bonuses were more lucrative.

Feel sorry for Australia - as said, in another group it may have been interesting for them. I think it's very harsh to say they look out of place at the World Cup as there are several arguably worse sides there, one or two of which may even qualify for the next round (Russia, Ivory Coast, Greece etc)

I think Spain have just been found out. Like in the Confederations Cup final vs Brazil last year, they just couldn't deal with Chile's intensity and pressing. Most teams over the last few years have been happy to let them have all the possession but they have no answer when someone decides they're not going to let that happen.

Starting to think Australia are the new Scotland in the sense that they play with spirit ,have some magic moments and have a great and well loved following but generally go out to glorious defeats,can see them qualifying endlessly but just not happening for them.

Starting to think Australia are the new Scotland in the sense that they play with spirit ,have some magic moments and have a great and well loved following but generally go out to glorious defeats,can see them qualifying endlessly but just not happening for them.

That's wishful or nostalgic thinking as we have not qualified for anything this century.

Archived