Who's the better prospect?

With all the young talent in the SPFL just now I think things look quite positive for the future of the national team.

But who do you think will do the most in the game ?

For me I can't see past Stuart Armstrong of Dundee United. He's been progressing more and more each season and he's also added goals to his game, which along side his dynamic style of play makes me think he could play at the top level for club and country for years to come.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

254C1D57E9624FF4DD19B2C1BCCB63.jpg

I agree that this lad could do big things if given the chance. But I worry that he might be the type of player who goes down South and just sits on a championship bench because he's made the move too soon.

I agree that this lad could do big things if given the chance. But I worry that he might be the type of player who goes down South and just sits on a championship bench because he's made the move too soon.

Hopefully he stays with us for another season. :)

Very impressed by Armstrong and has to be the main guy out of the Utd youths for me. I also think our own McGinn and McLean have a strong future and dearly hope they make it. Stevie May is obviously excellent as well.

All in all, the future is bright. :)

Robertson for me. I honestly can't believe how good he is! Considering his age and where he was before he joined United it's absolutely bonkers.

Armstrong is a class act. I think he's a bit different from a lot of the midfielders Scotland often produce. He orchestrated United pumping us on more than one occasion last year.

It's very early days for Jack Leitch seeing as he's only played a handful of games for us, but he looked far from out of place in the centre of our midfield. He added a bit of skill and bossed our post-split game against Celtic, MotM in fact.

There's countless others that have impressed or will. Every club has a couple of exciting prospects that are getting serious game time week in week out. I'm quietly optimistic that in 5/10 years time Scotland will have a reasonably stronger squad than we do now.

There are a couple of young guys at ibrox that are expected to make a splash this season.

Chris Boyd and Kenneth Miller I think their names are. Not familiar with them but given the opportunities that the club has had to spend the last couple of years blooding youngsters I assume that they must be 19 or 20.

Is Stuart Armstrong had been English he would have gone to the world cup. There I have said it.

Stevie may has all the attributes to go to the top and seems to have the best one in that he doesn't seem to be a dick. Andy Robertson is also class.

Also think Kenny McLean and calum Paterson will be Scotland regulars in years to come.

Is Stuart Armstrong had been English he would have gone to the world cup. There I have said it.

He hasn't even been capped by Scotland yet, so struggle to see the logic there.

Reminds me a lot of Thomas Muller (which is no bad thing) in that it's hard to define his exact position. He's not a winger, not a striker, not a central midfielder, not a real No.10 type - he just seems to do a great job wherever you put him.

Ryan Gauld however remains the best prospect for me by far. He dropped off badly after being used too much last season, but he has the talent to go all the way in the game.

Can only speak as I find, but against us Armstrong caused us more problems than Gauld.

Agreed, Gauld has been fairly anonymous against us, only time I've been impressed was in the 1-1 draw at McDiarmid in the 2012/2013 season when he scored. Armstrong usually troubles us but was poor the last few times, in fact Ryan Dow has been the biggest problem recently. GMS seems like half the player he used to be, while Souttar was always good for handing us a goal due to a mistake and looks utterly terrified of May.

Robertson and Armstrong are the only two players I really think live up to the hype out of the team, but I admittedly don't see the others outwith matches against us

Agreed, Gauld has been fairly anonymous against us, only time I've been impressed was in the 1-1 draw at McDiarmid in the 2012/2013 season when he scored. Armstrong usually troubles us but was poor the last few times, in fact Ryan Dow has been the biggest problem recently. GMS seems like half the player he used to be, while Souttar was always good for handing us a goal due to a mistake and looks utterly terrified of May.

Robertson and Armstrong are the only two players I really think live up to the hype out of the team, but I admittedly don't see the others outwith matches against us

Stevie May on the other hand was still three years away from the St Johnstone first team when he was John Souttar's age.

Some of these comparisons are just ludicrous.

Archived