Thanks HJ. So we know that Clyde are better than Turriff but not as good as Spartans, ergo not as good as Gretna and thereby Edinbugh City so that must mean that City will tank Brora/Turriff and be in SFL 2 next year and Clyde, or Cumbernauld Angst as they will be known by then, will play in Lowland. Unless of course Rangers go bust again and get relegated to the Lowland and then buy Angst, after another share option raises five grand, to automatically play in the SFL2.

Just might happen!

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-quote-1.jpg

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst first and foremost I'm hoping we avoid the bottom spot/play-off, it would be an absolute nightmare if another mob from some inbred backwater like Brora or Wick got into the league at any point in the future. Going to Elgin/Peterhead is bad enough, but these places should have their own time zone they're that far outside of civilization.

• 3 weeks later...

Bump.

Another few weeks have passed and it's getting to that time when potential promotion or relegation candidates are beginning to become apparent... Here are the latest tables. Edinburgh City in particular are looking strong. Turriff were leading Forres 1-0 today but it was abandoned after 30mins.

SPFL2

6 East Fife P19 21pts - 3

7 Clyde P20 19pts -14

8 Montrose P20 19pts -19

9 East Stir P19 19pts -21

-------------------------------

10 Elgin P17 17pts -11

Highland League

1 Turriff P23 58pts +35 *

2 Brora P21 55pts +79

3 Wick P23 50pts +34

4 Inverurie P23 48pts +38

5 Formartine P22 46pts +23

*Turriff deducted 3pts for fielding an ineligible player

Lowland League

1 Edin City P15 41pts +34

2 Gretna P18 36pts +33

3 East Kilb P17 30pts +24

4 Spartans P16 28pts +13

5 Whitehill P15 27pts +14

I'd have Montrose as favourites to go down now. I've seen them play Shire and Elgin in the last few weeks, lose both and look way off the pace against both sides. We're the worst of the bunch by a fair margin now. I'd say Clyde are already safe unless Spongebaz Squarebaw has some kind of meltdown and takes the club down with him.

If we can get the pitch sorted in time, Elgin vs Clyde is a huge game next week. Win it and we'll be a point above them with 3 games in hand.

I think that post nearly guarantees an away win, unfortunately.

I'd have Montrose as favourites to go down now. I've seen them play Shire and Elgin in the last few weeks, lose both and look way off the pace against both sides. We're the worst of the bunch by a fair margin now. I'd say Clyde are already safe unless Spongebaz Squarebaw has some kind of meltdown and takes the club down with him.

He's already in a complete meltdown.

Elgin seems to be improving lately. Must be stressful for the teams above. My bet is on East Stirling to get relegated whatever non league team they face in the final.

Improving or reaping the rewards of only playing once a fortnight? And with a run of midweek home games where other part-time teams are expected to cross the arctic circle to play them. Convenient!

Bump.

Only one (mid-table) league game has actually been completed in HL since last time but BBC obviously can't handle the concept of a points deduction so the last table was wrong.

Spartans have lost 3 and drawn 1 of their last 4 completed league games (all of which were at home), so Edinburgh City remains in a strong position in LL, with Gretna holding onto their coat-tails but having played 3 more.

Margins are increasingly paper thin afoot SPFL2.

SPFL2

6 East Fife P19 21pts -3

7 Clyde P21 20pts -14

8 Montrose P22 20pts -20

9 East Stir P20 19pts -23

10 Elgin P18 18pts -11

Highland League

1 Brora P21 55pts +79

2 Turriff P22 55pts +34 *

3 Wick P23 50pts +34

4 Inverurie P23 48pts +38

5 Cove Rang P23 47pts +40

6 Formartine P22 46pts +23

*Turriff deducted 3pts for fielding an ineligible player

Lowland League

1 Edin City P15 41pts +34

2 Gretna P19 39pts +35

3 East Kilb P18 33pts +28

4 Spartans P18 29pts +10

5 Dalbeattie P18 28pts +7

6 Whitehill P15 27pts +14

7 Stirling U P17 25pts +2

HL have decided to play all their competitions to a conclusion before the play-offs. This includes the Highland League Cup (which started today with Brora losing at home to Cove in a preliminary tie), and the local cups (of which only the Aberdeenshire Shield remains incomplete - it's played wholly midweek).

According to the original calendar on HL website, the remainder of the season is organised like this:

Jan 31st ... League MD30

Feb 7th... Highland League Cup R1 - involving everyone except preliminary losers (Brora + Nairn/Fort William)

Feb 14th... League MD31

Feb 21st... League MD32

Feb 28th... Highland League Cup R2

Mar 7th... Reserve MD #1

Mar 14th... League MD33

Mar 21st... Highland League Cup SFs

Mar 28th... Reserve MD #2

Apr 4th... Reserve MD #3

Apr 11th... Highland League Cup Final

Apr 18th... League MD34

Brora has had their game next weekend postponed so that Nairn can play Fort William in the other League Cup preliminary tie, which got frozen off today. They now have 8 matches without dates. Turriff have 6 matches without dates. (Increase each figure by 1 for each further match postponed - in League or League Cup). By fluke, Brora probably won't play the next 2 Saturdays*.

So the potential title decider could be played on any of the 3 reserve dates I've highlighted above; or on midweek; or on a later round of the League Cup, if Turriff are eliminated.

*Fort were due to play Forres next weekend but Brora have already played Forres home-n-away. Following weekend is League Cup R1 when only the 2 preliminary losers aren't involved... if Nairn have beaten Fort, that's no use as Brora have already played Fort home-n-away, or if the game is postponed again that's no use as the R1 opponent is Inverurie who again Brora have already played home-n-away

Improving or reaping the rewards of only playing once a fortnight? And with a run of midweek home games where other part-time teams are expected to cross the arctic circle to play them. Convenient!

I'd probably be making my excuses at this stage too if I were you.

Archived