• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another 3 weeks gone by.

In the Lowland League it's still the Edinburgh City show.

1 Edin City P17 47pts

------------------------

2 Gretna P20 39pts

3 East Kilb P18 33pts

4 Spartans P19 32pts

In the Highland League, Brora and Turriff keep winning.

1 Turriff P24 61pts

----------------------

2 Brora P22 58pts

3 Wick P24 53pts

4 Cove P25 50pts

In SPFL2 things have tightened again and on paper any of 7 clubs could yet end-up starting relegation in the face.

However, it looks like Montrose and East Stirlingshire are in the worst position.

4 Annan P24 33pts

5 Berwick P23 30pts

6 East Fife P22 28pts

7 Clyde P23 26pts

8 Elgin P21 24pts

9 Montrose P25 23pts

------------------------

10 East Stir P22 22pts

No way in a million years will Annan or Berwick be overtaken by 6 or 5 clubs, so you should take them off the list straightaway.

A couple of weeks ago it looked certain to be Elgin, but their unexpected upturn under Weir has thrown a big spanner in the Shire's and Montrose's works. Pretty much will come down to those 2 I suspect.

No way in a million years will Annan or Berwick be overtaken by 6 or 5 clubs, so you should take them off the list straightaway.

Looks like 38 or 39 points is likely to be enough for safety barring late surges by the teams at the bottom if their opponents in the last few games are left with nothing much to play for.

Been interested in this battle to avoid non-league and I think it all comes down to who Montrose replace Shields with. Another uninspiring appointment and I think they'll be involved in that play-off tie. If they actually get someone in who can rally the team then I think it will end up being the Shire.

Really glad there is a bit of excitement at the bottom of the Scottish leagues now though. Pyramid should go further than it is even now and hopefully we end up with automatic relegation for bottom spot in League 2.

Looks like 38 or 39 points is likely to be enough for safety barring late surges by the teams at the bottom if their opponents in the last few games are left with nothing much to play for.

Splitting the league in two, the calculations i make are thus; for the bottom seven clubs, collectively, from 160 games they have 186 points. An average of 1.1625 per game. After 252 games, this figure should be 293, giving an attainable target of 42 points for every club to ensure safety asap. I'd expect three to fall below this, by law of maths; unless the top three continue folding like Ukrainian deckchairs in the run in.

I think a playoff is perfectly reasonable and not an automatic relegation place yet. We at least need to see the quality gap between the levels before introducing this. Dropping a team into a league with the likes of Selkirk then expecting them to only play 20 or so league games a season isn't great. Hopefully when the level bellow have been allowed to develop for a bit automatic promotion and relegation can be brought in.

• 2 weeks later...

Edinburgh City won again today, at EK, and the teams below them all drew/lost, meaning their commanding LL lead edges towards unassailable.

Edin City P18 50pts

---------------------------

Gretna P21 39pts

East Kilb P20 36pts, +28

Spartans P21 36pts, +12

U Stirling P20 34pts

Whitehill P17 30pts

Brora also won in HL while Turriff were on League Cup duty. It now really does look like Turriff will have to match Brora all the way to the finish to give them a chance of lifting HL, and they'd need to beat Brora at home and hope they lost another game somewhere.

Brora P25 67pts

Turriff P25 62pts

Wick P25 56pts

Cove P26 53pts

Fraserburgh P27 51pts, +37

Inverurie P26 51pts, +36

Formartine P24 50pts

SPFL2 remains the most interesting in terms of the number of teams who could conceivably be drawn-in... but Montrose really do look in trouble due to the combination of points gap and teams above them all having games in hand. Worst still, their next 5 games are against Arbroath, Albion Rovers, Berwick, East Fife and Queen's Park before they get a chance to face the more lowly placed East Stirlingshire, Elgin and Clyde in April...

Elgin P24 31pts

Berwick P26 30pts, +4

Clyde P25 30pts, -9

East Stir P25 28pts

--------------------------

Montrose P27 23pts

Edinburgh City won again today, at EK, and the teams below them all drew/lost, meaning their commanding LL lead edges towards unassailable.

Edin City P18 50pts

Gretna P21 39pts

East Kilb P20 36pts, +28

Spartans P21 36pts, +12

U Stirling P20 34pts

Whitehill P17 30pts

Brora also won in HL while Turriff were on League Cup duty. It now really does look like Turriff will have to match Brora all the way to the finish to give them a chance of lifting HL, and they'd need to beat Brora at home and hope they lost another game somewhere.

Brora P25 67pts

Turriff P25 62pts

Wick P25 56pts

Cove P26 53pts

Fraserburgh P27 51pts, +37

Inverurie P26 51pts, +36

Formartine P24 50pts

SPFL2 remains the most interesting in terms of the number of teams who could conceivably be drawn-in... but Montrose really do look in trouble due to the combination of points gap and teams above them all having games in hand. Worst still, their next 5 games are against Arbroath, Albion Rovers, Berwick, East Fife and Queen's Park before they get a chance to face the more lowly placed East Stirlingshire, Elgin and Clyde in April...

Elgin P24 31pts

Berwick P26 30pts, +4

Clyde P25 30pts, -9

East Stir P25 28pts

--------------------------

Montrose P27 23pts

Eh....Elgin are above you. Quite the errorsman, ain'tcha.....this time next week you might well be 9th. I say 'you', i mean Berwick.

Erm, yes, and :huh:?

Their next 8 fixtures are versus the clubs currently sitting in 3rd-1st-7th-5th-2nd... followed by 9th-6th-8th.

I think it's pretty clear what the point being made was, without a need for e.g. square brackets after Berwick & Elgin clarifying the latter is above the former.

Erm, yes, and :huh:?

Their next 8 fixtures are versus the clubs currently sitting in 3rd-1st-7th-5th-2nd... followed by 9th-6th-8th.

I think it's pretty clear what the point being made was, without a need for e.g. square brackets after Berwick & Elgin clarifying the latter is above the former.

More clarity required then. The term 'more lowly placed' suggests that Berwick are better than Elgin, which is clearly untrue judging by the table and the formbook. Indeed, with a point on Tuesday, we will also overtake Berwick. Should've posted that before 3pm, tbh.

Montrose really do look in trouble due to the combination of points gap and teams above them all having games in hand. Worst still, their next 5 games are against Arbroath, Albion Rovers, Berwick, East Fife and Queen's Park before they get a chance to face the more lowly placed East Stirlingshire, Elgin and Clyde in April...

Arbroath, queens park and berwick have all been on poor runs of form with albion not much better so your point about their next 5 games is abit irrelevant. East fife, elgin and clyde seem to be the inform sides which is surely more important.

After seeing Montrose today they will surely finish bottom - an absolutely dreadful and negative side.

Am o right in saying Montrose or Elgin would go into the highland league whereas shire and everyone else would be lowland league ? I ask as teams would possibly have an easier time getting out the lowland league than the highland league, Montrose would be fibbed I think

Am o right in saying Montrose or Elgin would go into the highland league whereas shire and everyone else would be lowland league ? I ask as teams would possibly have an easier time getting out the lowland league than the highland league, Montrose would be fibbed I think

If the bottom team lose the play-off, north of the Tay goes to the Highland League, south into the Lowland.

I don't know if teams would have an "easier" time getting out of the lowland league, depends how good a state they were in on relegation, I would imagine.

If the bottom team lose the play-off, north of the Tay goes to the Highland League, south into the Lowland.

I don't know if teams would have an "easier" time getting out of the lowland league, depends how good a state they were in on relegation, I would imagine.

People seem to be treating the Highland League as a far better standard than the Lowland League. Not sure why tbh. We played Formintine United. Won 15 and lost 4 this season in the league. They were totally shite and barely above park level.

Why Edinburgh?

Several reasons, however if we were to go down I'd rather go at the expense of a hard-working club with community/youth ideas like City rather than Brora's expensive collection of mercenaries who don't seem to want promotion anyway.

People seem to be treating the Highland League as a far better standard than the Lowland League. Not sure why tbh. We played Formintine United. Won 15 and lost 4 this season in the league. They were totally shite and barely above park level.

Add Turriff into that category as well. They were horrendous.

Very true! We have played brora and turriff recently and they were both very ordinary. Nairn did beat us a couple of seasons ago but we were awful.

The standard of the better teams in the lowland league seems at least on a par with the best of the highland league, perhaps even slightly better.

Archived