Most Montrose fans already believe we will finish tenth. I don't think it's defeatism, just realism.

The only other candidates for last sport- Clyde, Shire, and Elgin- have all had impressive recent surges and, with games in hand, it will take an almighty collapse from one of them now if we are to have a chance of finishing above tenth.

If you are being *extremely* optimistic, we will take 13 points from those last 9 games. That will see us finish on 36 points.

Shire have 28 points, with 11 games left; they need nine points from their last eleven games. The others are already on 30 points or over. The one crumb of comfort is that Berwick seem to be in a tailspin and are distracted by the Scottish cup.

I suppose believing in miracles is part of being a football fan, frankly it's all we Montrose supporters have left to cling to.

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most Montrose fans already believe we will finish tenth. I don't think it's defeatism, just realism.

The only other candidates for last sport- Clyde, Shire, and Elgin- have all had impressive recent surges and, with games in hand, it will take an almighty collapse from one of them now if we are to have a chance of finishing above tenth.

If you are being *extremely* optimistic, we will take 13 points from those last 9 games. That will see us finish on 36 points.

Shire have 28 points, with 11 games left; they need nine points from their last eleven games. The others are already on 30 points or over. The one crumb of comfort is that Berwick seem to be in a tailspin and are distracted by the Scottish cup.

I suppose believing in miracles is part of being a football fan, frankly it's all we Montrose supporters have left to cling to.

Playing 451 and not bothering to try and attack at any point certainly doesn't help.

To be honest Ivo, when you appointed an expert in failure as your manager, did it not concern you or your fellow supporters that not only will you definitely finish bottom with him in charge (not entirely his fault, but he wasn't doing much about it on Saturday), but you may be entrusting one of the biggest clowns and laughing stocks in coaching to possibly get you back up.....he's a complete moron. Straight from the Peter Houston/Kenny Black module of fuckwits. I honestly believe worrying about staying up should have been replaced with how your club intends to reinvent itself, with relegation fully in mind. There's never been a better time for you to start.

Hm I think Hegarty needs to be given time.

Obviously you don't rate him, personally I am not willing to write him off after two games, and on the basis of one sticky spell as Forfar boss twenty five years ago. He set his stall out on Saturday and it didn't work thanks to the fact that our main striker was playing centre half and our gk's confidence is totally shot. Bear in mind that they have only been in the job a few days.

Besides there is no automatic relegation...we still have the chance to stay up in the play off match and that isn't the foregone conclusion some seem to think it is. Otherwise, I'm not sure we need many lectures from a fan of an equally moribund club, with no ground to call its own either. I don't think Clyde can exactly be cited as a model of a successfully run lower league side, really.

As for "re-inventing the club after relegation", many of us feel that relegation will mean the end of the club, maybe not immediately, but in the medium term, certainly. If you're offering to put in big money then to stave that off, then welcome on board.

Nah, nah. No need for any of that. I only hope we're the ones who send you plumetting towards oblivion on the 25th April. By the way....just out of interest....neither of you are the Where's Wally lookalike with the Adidas manbag who kept banging into people in the farm were you?? And bounced towards the stand like Zebedee??

Montrose will fit into the Lowland league nicely I think, they've got that Non-League look about them.. Won't be missed to be honest.

Should they be relegated they won't be playing in the Lowland League

Putting the arrogance of certain contributors to one side, the reason for Montrose's defensive display on Saturday would have been an effort to shore up a defence that had been leaking goals. Holt and Hegarty can hardly be blamed for that...

precisely.

I hope it is a tactic not repeated though; we have to try and win as many of our remaining games as possible. At the very least, we need to stop the losing habit / build up a bit of form before the play off, even if we don't amass enough points to avoid it.

In our current position single points from draws aren't much use. But the new management has to be given time to work things out and our best starting line up and formation. I doubt we'll be seeing 4-5-1 again, or Garry Wood at centre half.

Hm I think Hegarty needs to be given time.

Obviously you don't rate him, personally I am not willing to write him off after two games, and on the basis of one sticky spell as Forfar boss twenty five years ago. He set his stall out on Saturday and it didn't work thanks to the fact that our main striker was playing centre half and our gk's confidence is totally shot. Bear in mind that they have only been in the job a few days.

Besides there is no automatic relegation...we still have the chance to stay up in the play off match and that isn't the foregone conclusion some seem to think it is. Otherwise, I'm not sure we need many lectures from a fan of an equally moribund club, with no ground to call its own either. I don't think Clyde can exactly be cited as a model of a successfully run lower league side, really.

As for "re-inventing the club after relegation", many of us feel that relegation will mean the end of the club, maybe not immediately, but in the medium term, certainly. If you're offering to put in big money then to stave that off, then welcome on board.

What are your thoughts on Montrose (if they drop out of the SPFL) joining the juniors - assuming that a juniors version of the Lowland League gets up and running?

Am I right in thinking that your club would be within the current East Super League region, and so could potentially qualify for a junior LL? There'd be some big clubs in there and the travelling wouldn't be any worse than playing in the senior HL. Or would they see the current East Super League as a viable alternative?

I only ask because you seem sure your club will die in the medium-term, and accepting a former-SPFL club could boost a junior LL's credibility & standing in a pyramid/play-off context.

A junior LL is not realistically going to happen, and I highly doubt Montrose want to end any short term hope of a spfl return. Also the way the juniors are they'd probably demand Montrose start at the bottom, and pay re-instalment fees for all their players.

So basically no, it would be bonkers for Montrose to consider the juniors.

Theres already a half decent junior club in the town so there would be no need for a second.
I don't quite see it so bleak if we go down. We have been playing in the basement of Scottish football for longer than I care to remember playing the same teams 4 times a year. The only way we rustle up a half decent away following is in the cup going somewhere different nowadays.

The Highland league will initally be different and other than Fort William/Wick/Brora (who might replace us) the travelling is not as bad as is made out. If we get stuck there long term things may get hard, but if Wick can survive with their away trips every second week, I'm sure we can.

We may even manage a season with a positive goal difference for a change.

I know theres more to it than that (the ownership of the ground being one) but hopefully we won't find out as we aren't down yet.

*Edit for spelling

Theres already a half decent junior club in the town so there would be no need for a second.

I don't quite see it so bleak if we go down. We have been playing in the basement of Scottish football for longer than I care to remember playing the same teams 4 times a year. The only way we rustle up a half decent away following is in the cup going somewhere different nowadays.

The Highland league will initally be different and other than Fort William/Wick/Brora (who might replace us) the travelling is not as bad as is made out. If we get stuck there long term things may get hard, but if Wick can survive with their away trips every second week, I'm sure we can.

We may even manage a season with a positive goal difference for a change.

I know theres more to it than that (the ownership of the ground being one) but hopefully we won't find out as we aren't down yet.

*Edit for spelling

Yeah, I was a bit surprised that folk think it'll mean the death of your club when there could be some decent new fixtures (IF relegated) and you're likely to win a lot more, which would surely keep fans coming along?

The feeble pyramid play-off system and its lack of opportunity to be promoted back to the SPFL is maybe the reason why some are so glum about possible relegation, although I don't know about the issues with your ground.

A junior LL is not realistically going to happen, and I highly doubt Montrose want to end any short term hope of a spfl return. Also the way the juniors are they'd probably demand Montrose start at the bottom, and pay re-instalment fees for all their players.

So basically no, it would be bonkers for Montrose to consider the juniors.

Agree, just seeing if there was an alternative to the club-death scenario that folk are talking about!

Archived