Opening Ceremony

The Naitch

That's obviously the bit which I just saw on the quick BBC Breakfast 'highlights'. Cringe is exactly the word which came to mind. Not seen anything else though.

The rest of it was watchable, but that opening bit was just too much.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again that's no a bad link.

….The question of whether numbering for British monarchs is based on previous English or Scottish monarchs was raised in 1953 when Scottish nationalists challenged the Queen's use of "Elizabeth II", on the grounds that there had never been an "Elizabeth I" in Scotland. In MacCormick v. Lord Advocate, the Scottish Court of Session ruled against the plaintiffs, finding that the Queen's title was a matter of her own choice and prerogative….

….The Home Secretary told the House of Commons that monarchs since the Acts of Union had consistently used the higher of the English and Scottish ordinals, which in the applicable four cases has been the English ordinal….

What a coincidence that the four monarchs William IV, Edward VII, Edward VIII and Elizabeth II are all continuations of the English monarchy.

Do you suppose that anytime in the future we will have a King Alexander IV or Robert IV or David III.

The coincedence is probably telling. I doubt that earlier cases exercised the brains of the advisors that much. Although, it's worth pointing out that Edward VII and VIII are the eighth and ninth monarchs of that name in the English lineage. No Saxons need apply.

David is probably the most likely - it is used quite frequently in the slew of middle names passed about

It goes against logic and common sense to use english ordinals for any country except England.

There's never been an Edward VII, Eward VIII or Elizabeth II of Scotland, Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc.

Common sense and constitutional history are uneasy bedfellows. Nothing too wrong in the logic used - it provides an "equitable" future based on a arguably "less than equitable" precedent

The tunes they belted out as the athtletes walked out were tremendous. Mr Boombastic was inspired, as was KLF and The Shamen.

Also, when did Amy McDonald turn into a hottie? I don't recall that happening?

The tunes they belted out as the athtletes walked out were tremendous. Mr Boombastic was inspired, as was KLF and The Shamen.

Also, when did Amy McDonald turn into a hottie? I don't recall that happening?

Amy McDonald has always been a wid.

Ended up missing the opening ceremony, how did the council stadium look?

red,white, and blue skies over parkhead, the queen, the national anthem and a huge red hand of ulster taking up the length of the main stand at one point.

hilarious and bizzare to say the least :lol:

The coincedence is probably telling. I doubt that earlier cases exercised the brains of the advisors that much. Although, it's worth pointing out that Edward VII and VIII are the eighth and ninth monarchs of that name in the English lineage. No Saxons need apply.

That is my point but too many sheep just accept it.

The Old Northerner, on 24 Jul 2014 - 13:11, said:

Common sense and constitutional history are uneasy bedfellows. Nothing too wrong in the logic used - it provides an "equitable" future based on a arguably "less than equitable" precedent

So Zero + I = II is a ‘less than equitable’ precedent.

But in the ‘equitable’ future zero + II = III and so on.

Balls.

Let’s face it.

This monarchy is a direct continuation of the English monarchy which too many Scots sheep agree with.

The Old Northerner, on 24 Jul 2014 - 13:11, said:

David is probably the most likely - it is used quite frequently in the slew of middle names passed about

Do you really think this country will ever see a King David III ?

Dinnae haud yer breath

red,white, and blue skies over parkhead, the queen, the national anthem and a huge red hand of ulster taking up the length of the main stand at one point.

hilarious and bizzare to say the least :lol:

I know! It was like Remembrance Day at Ibrox, without John Barrowman of course.

Archived