Opening Ceremony

The Naitch

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's still incredibly poor if they were hoping for a global audience of nearly a billion (although that figure is probably nonsense)

I actually watched some of the ceremony again as my girlfriend has been away and hadn't seen it. To be honest if you took Rod Stewart and Subo out it would have been a really decent show, the cringey stuff at the start was somehow less cringey the second time round. The best bit about watching it again though was getting to hear Mylo's set introducing the nations, brilliant stuff.

The global audience thing is completely baws anyway.

The total population of the Commonwealth is about 2.4 billion, so you are working on the basis of half of them watching to meet your target. Or, effectively, all of India!

IIRC that article said they had about 600,000 people who donated, which is bloody good when you think that of their "global TV audience", there will have been a lot of families where one person donated on behalf of the family, etc. There will, of course, also have been subhuman scum who watched on free-to-air TV, probably without a licence, and didn't bother.

That last sentence was tongue in cheek, just in case anyone didn't donate and is offended!

I had a look at that the next day when all sorts of people were retweeting about his police visit.

Interesting that the "article" doesn't mention the tweets with the hashtag "f*ckoffstrathclydepolice" or the one that said "bomb Glasgow", which probably had a hand in the visit.

It was an overreaction from the police though. Guy seems to be a classic twitter comedian with his "hilarious" tweets.

I had a look at that the next day when all sorts of people were retweeting about his police visit.

Interesting that the "article" doesn't mention the tweets with the hashtag "f*ckoffstrathclydepolice" or the one that said "bomb Glasgow", which probably had a hand in the visit.

It was an overreaction from the police though. Guy seems to be a classic twitter comedian with his "hilarious" tweets.

I found the article's description of the Green Brigade interesting.

Oh for f**k sake

http://fw.to/8eaU6BP

My favourite quote:

'Some overseas Muslim groups have reportedly previously called for a jihad on dogs.'

And who'd have predicted it would be the far right of Malaysia that were mentalists?

'Dato Ibrahim Bin Ali, a far-Right politician, former MP...also called for an apology'

"Many Muslims refuse to have direct contact with dogs, which are considered by some to be "unclean" in Islamic culture. Some overseas Muslim groups have reportedly previously called for a jihad on dogs."

The key word here is "some". I lived in the Middle East for five years and saw first hand how many Muslims kept dogs. Sure, some considered them unclean, but only some. It is not disrespectful to Islam, only to very extreme adherents of it, in the same way some things are unacceptable to the extreme branches of Christianity.

To all extremists of all religions - how about you feck right off!

Archived