Orkney Join Mainland Football

HibeeJibee

Sure I read an article in The Times on Saturday, stating that Orkney's egg-chasing club have entered the national leagues for the first time. If it's feasible for a diddy sport that nobody watches, it's clearly viable for an Orkney football team.

Get them in.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The SFA have subsidised the Old Firm for long enough so they should easily be able to subsidise Orkney. It would be of greater benefit to the game of football in Scotland.

Who runs the ferry service up there? Get them to sponsor them and the sponsorship would include the travel on the boat for home/away teams?

I'd imagine Orkney might get a decent sized crowd if they entered the pyramid. What else is there really? Don't think they'd get far as non-island players would probably not want to join so would be relying on the local population.

Sure I read an article in The Times on Saturday, stating that Orkney's egg-chasing club have entered the national leagues for the first time. If it's feasible for a diddy sport that nobody watches, it's clearly viable for an Orkney football team.

Get them in.

Seeing as the "regional" league they played in was Caledonia north that extends down to Stirling its not that much of a difference.

Played league matches against them a couple of times in my rugby days. I'm not surprised they are doing well, few teams they play step on the field sober.

Orkney & Halkirk are the invitees for the 2015-16 North of Scotland Cup, otherwise contested by HL clubs & ICT.

Drew each other in R1, at Orkney.

Away v ICT in R2 if successful.

First Round

West

Brora Rangers v Wick Academy
Orkney v Halkirk United

East

Rothes v Fort William
Lossiemouth v Forres Mechanics

Second Round

West

Inverness Caledonian Thistle v Orkney / Halkirk United
Clachnacuddin v Brora Rangers / Wick Academy

East

Lossiemouth / Forres Mechanics v Rothes / Fort William
Strathspey Thistle v Nairn County

Semi-Finals

West

Inverness Caledonian Thistle / Orkney / Halkirk United v Clachnacuddin / Brora Rangers / Wick Academy

East

Lossiemouth / Forres Mechanics / Rothes / Fort William v Strathspey Thistle / Nairn County

Shetland and Orkney rugby teams both play in mainland leagues. Shetland sometimes struggle to get a full 15 off the island and often have to rely on players from other teams who don't have a game or University students from the isles to make up the numbers. I think the SRU are a bit more lenient with player registrations than the SFA would be in this aspect. Rugby is a lot more popular in Orkney and I think they even have an internal league there, so I'm not sure if they suffer from the same problems.

Why no Ross County?

Don't know.

Admittedly ICT generally play their U20s but Ross County could do the same.

Shetland and Orkney rugby teams both play in mainland leagues.

Albeit Shetland play in Caledonia 2 (North) Division.

It contained (2014-15):

Aberdeenshire 2nds; RAF Lossiemouth; Moray; Garioch; Ross Sutherland; Aberdeen Wanderers; Lochaber; Stornoway; Shetland

Archived