Aberdeen vs Dundee United - 10/08/14

A mistake a season?

He scored an own goal against Falkirk, out of one cup. Gave away a needless corner then failed to mark against raith, out another. Made over a dozen mistakes against part time forwards leading to goals in the league and another huge blunder in the playoffs.

He was dropped and young guys with little experience were preferred in the next game.

I'm basing my opinion on fact, yes 95% of the time he is excellent, SPL quality, but then boom game over.

Nothing personal just objective.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd take a 95% of the time good defender over Gavin Gunning. But I would take a 50% of the time good over Gavin Gunning. Morris and Fojut could become a fantastic partnership for us if yesterday was anything to go by.

Hopefully he just found it hard to concentrate as he thought that league one was beneath him? I just find his progress and transfer to a higher level interesting, not trying to put a dampner on anything and don't want to see anyone fail. Especially an ex pars player.

Disappointing, but it's only fair to let United win every now and then. At the end of the season when we sit in second place looking down on Dundee United trying, and failing, to get into Europe I hope this result gives United fans solace.

Hopefully he just found it hard to concentrate as he thought that league one was beneath him? I just find his progress and transfer to a higher level interesting, not trying to put a dampner on anything and don't want to see anyone fail. Especially an ex pars player.

My wife is from Pitcorthie and my in-laws are all Pars fans who thought really highly of Morris, like you they were a bit surprised that he got a move to United after a poor end of season but they all think he's going to be a very good player for us.

Hopefully he didn't think League One was beneath him but a lot of lower league players have thrived at United over the last five or so years and I think he's going to be the next.

Disappointing, but it's only fair to let United win every now and then. At the end of the season when we sit in second place looking down on Dundee United trying, and failing, to get into Europe I hope this result gives United fans solace.

^^^

Non Deluded Sheep.

Not that surprising, go back a year and he was in the 1st division team of the year, coming from a team that got relegated, he strolled the league that year.

My wife is from Pitcorthie and my in-laws are all Pars fans who thought really highly of Morris, like you they were a bit surprised that he got a move to United after a poor end of season but they all think he's going to be a very good player for us.

Hopefully he didn't think League One was beneath him but a lot of lower league players have thrived at United over the last five or so years and I think he's going to be the next.

Thought it was more a case that he started getting sounded out with regards to a move, he started the season his usual high standard, round the turn of the year though you could see his concentration levels were starting to go. When he joined us we were picked to be title challengers, when he signed a new contract we were top of the table and looking good for promotion. Fast forward a year and he's slumming it in the 3rd tier. When it became evident he was moving he was just wasn't there anymore. It wasn't like he wasn't putting a shift in, but he knew he'd be leaving in a couple of months.

His performances in the 1st division and against higher leagues in the cup lead me to beleive he'll cope fine in the SPL, as mentioned previously he was in the team of the year in a defence that got relegated, he was also in the team of the year last year, despite Rangers and their massive wages.

First time at Pittodrie yesterday and it was a really enjoyable atmosphere in our end. Thought GMS was excellent today until he went off. He was a real nuisance in the second half when Aberdeen were coming forward and we started catching them on the break. Armstrong wasn't at his best today but I did appreciate that he was trying to be creative and help things along with us. Ciftci was too greedy at times and missed a couple of opportunities to put others through but still, his ball through for GMS to score was excellent. Dow did well to keep sniffing around and then pounce on the chance for his goal.

Oh and I have to echo the adoration for Fojut (and Morris to a slightly lesser extent) coming from my fellow Arabs. It's still early days but he looks to be exactly what we needed for periods of last season. Although he had a tough act to follow, I was very happy with Townsend today and it was good not only to see Erskine come on play well and score, but to see hear our fans actually support him too.

All in all, a great day out. Hopefully whatever forced GMS off isn't too serious and we'll have him back for wednesday.

This... but i think i slightly prefer Morris so far 8)

That was a sore one.

Suspected we'd be flat and leg-weary after the efforts against La Real, but thought maybe a 1-1 or a goal either way.

A wee bit of a reversal from the midweek Tannadice fixture in May, when we pinched a comfortable looking win courtesy of backs to the wall defending coupled with counter-attacks and mistakes.

Our home form is a worry though - United and Celtic were the only teams who played open games at Pittodrie last season. United were much more organised and defensive this time, but that is exactly how to get a result against us as we tend to spend 90 minutes overplaying into brick walls in these sort of matches, and if a side has a bit of pace and guile on the break they will invariably catch us out.

McInnes needs to get a Plan B to get some cutting edge in these kind of fixtures.

Wednesday is a worry too unless the side is considerably freshened up, and with no game on Saturday, then a tough one at Perth, we may be playing a bit of catch-up if we're not careful.

That was a sore one.

Suspected we'd be flat and leg-weary after the efforts against La Real, but thought maybe a 1-1 or a goal either way.

A wee bit of a reversal from the midweek Tannadice fixture in May, when we pinched a comfortable looking win courtesy of backs to the wall defending coupled with counter-attacks and mistakes.

Our home form is a worry though - United and Celtic were the only teams who played open games at Pittodrie last season. United were much more organised and defensive this time, but that is exactly how to get a result against us as we tend to spend 90 minutes overplaying into brick walls in these sort of matches, and if a side has a bit of pace and guile on the break they will invariably catch us out.

McInnes needs to get a Plan B to get some cutting edge in these kind of fixtures.

Wednesday is a worry too unless the side is considerably freshened up, and with no game on Saturday, then a tough one at Perth, we may be playing a bit of catch-up if we're not careful.

I would imagine that taking into account they couldn't beat the fun, you should comfortably beat Killie tomorrow.

• 7 months later...

Remarkable, haha.

It's far too early to offer a reasoned view on this.

So I'm going 3-0 to United. Ciftci, GMS and the spirit of Ryan Gauld with an assist from the spirit of Andy Robertson.

BTW what's Aberdeen FC's debt standing at?

We're debt free, I put it down to our chairman embracing his baldiness and nor wearing a dodgy wig for years.

BTW my iPad tried to autocorrect baldiness as bawdiness! Some folk would suggest that is spookily accurate.

oh well at least you got the score right.

Archived