Ornithology - Does PnB have a resident expert?

At the risk of inciting humorous jibes, I really want help to identify the bird which wakes me up with its charming song each dawn. I live in a village amongst farms in SW Scotland. I hear this creature's throaty baritone during the day too. It's a repetitive crowing: Too Roo. Too TAH Ti Ti Tee. Who can help?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At the risk of inciting humorous jibes, I really want help to identify the bird which wakes me up with its charming song each dawn. I live in a village amongst farms in SW Scotland. I hear this creature's throaty baritone during the day too. It's a repetitive crowing: Too Roo. Too TAH Ti Ti Tee. Who can help?

Sounds like a Blackie.

Sounds like a Blackie.

We certainly have blackies nesting in the garden - cheeky wee chaps and chappesses they are. I thought this song was too deep - like a day time owl - throaty and hooty. Still a blacky, would you say?

Kerry Katona?

I'm no expert BR but could it be a thrush if you don't think it's a blackie?

If you go onto the RSPB site there is information and an audio clip for every bird you'll find in UK.

Yeah might help though I'm fairly certain Blackies can change their call regularly so won't always be 100% accurate.

As has been said could be a blackie.

Some are very good mimics and pick up bits of song from other birds/things.

We had one in the garden a few years ago we called " the telephone bird " for obvious reasons!

Without hijacking the thread, our house is surrounded by a wood and every night from dusk onwards there is two birds that talk to one another in a kind of croaking call from the trees.

I was outside having a cig before heading to bed a week or so ago and they were both sitting on the old TV aerial on the chimney but it was too dark to see what they where.

Both are really big and I did see one very briefly as it flew out a tree. I thought they might some kind of birds of prey at first but my father in law doesn't reckon they'd be active at night. My wife recorded them talking to one another but I don't know how I'd upload it here.

Owls maybe? Anyone have any thoughts?

Without hijacking the thread, our house is surrounded by a wood and every night from dusk onwards there is two birds that talk to one another in a kind of croaking call from the trees.

I was outside having a cig before heading to bed a week or so ago and they were both sitting on the old TV aerial on the chimney but it was too dark to see what they where.

Both are really big and I did see one very briefly as it flew out a tree. I thought they might some kind of birds of prey at first but my father in law doesn't reckon they'd be active at night. My wife recorded them talking to one another but I don't know how I'd upload it here.

Owls maybe? Anyone have any thoughts?

Buzzards.

Archived