Motherwell vs St Mirren - 09/08/14

What was the story with Gannon? Did he refuse to sign a longer contract or something?

He was on a month to month contract, from memory, but was insistent he wasn't leaving.

As Swello said, he just fucked off absolutely everyone. When it came to the crunch I wouldn't imagine a single person would've stuck up for him.

His 'juggling soot' comment about our defending was my favourite, as Brown came in and sent us on a 7/8 game streak without conceding...

I still don't know what to think of Gannon's time - on the upside, he chucked plenty of young players in, got us through a couple of rounds in Europe and initially had us playing some nice football. On the downside, he was a total sociopath who would have got us relegated whilst turning up for work in a skin suit made from Stephen Craigan and Keith Lasley - so it's a toughie :)

My take on it was that it was fun, but completely unsustainable. Hateley, Coke, Jennings and Humphrey were by any measure, good for us. Ruddy and Jutkiewicz as well.

By the same token, our most consistent players over this period have been Lasley, Hammell and Craigan.

You'll note Steven Meechan was not included in that list, anywhere. Mental.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always remember Marc Corcoran turning up against Motherwell every time. He always seemed to have a great game via Motherwell.

What was this all about btw. I remember a cup game at Love Street (oh how I miss that place) and a 1st Division St Mirren skudded us 3 nil (I think) with Marc Corcoran absolutely running the show. He was like a man possessed! I'm sure Charlie Adam might have been playing that day as well.

That must've been the best part of 10 years ago. I'm getting bloody old

What was this all about btw. I remember a cup game at Love Street (oh how I miss that place) and a 1st Division St Mirren skudded us 3 nil (I think) with Marc Corcoran absolutely running the show. He was like a man possessed! I'm sure Charlie Adam might have been playing that day as well.

I think Charlie Adam actually scored 2 IIRC

Jim Gannon was a cockend, Got a bit lucky I thought, was a fucking loony though. Heard a few horror stories of him trying to bully players like Craigan and such

Jim Gannon clearly had some tactical nous the difference between the 1st and 2nd legs in all of our European games that season was incredible. He could also spot a player and I liked his post match interviews etc

But his man management/people skills were atrocious he alienated anyone over the age of 25 it seemed

January 2006? I missed the game and was sitting in Ayr watching the results come in.

There is two other games I remember Corcoran in, the one at Love Street not long after O'Donnell passed away where the scored, and one at Fir Park where Mehmet hit the bar from point blank range after Corcoran ran the length of the pitch to cross. No idea why he turned up against Motherwell every time!

Always remember Marc Corcoran turning up against Motherwell every time. He always seemed to have a great game via Motherwell.

Marc "fucking" Corcoran as he is known in my house. He must have really hated Motherwell. Played out his skin everytime. Did he end up playing somewhere mental like Thailand?

As for Gannon, the guy could certainly spot a footballer. Would be a top notch scout.

As a manager, a fruitcake. His back and forth letters to Hugh Dallas that would go missing were a highlight of his time for me.

January 2006? I missed the game and was sitting in Ayr watching the results come in.

There is two other games I remember Corcoran in, the one at Love Street not long after O'Donnell passed away where the scored, and one at Fir Park where Mehmet hit the bar from point blank range after Corcoran ran the length of the pitch to cross. No idea why he turned up against Motherwell every time!

Was that the cup game?

Remember cuffing them 3-0 at LS when we were in the 1st and Corky was unplayable that day. Think Charlie Adam scored as well.

How can this be? Thought he was signing for Dundee.

Crazy, I was 100% convinced Dundee was his destination aswell...Now landing at little Sheffield....

Great move for the big lad, hopefully run riot down there.

It all ended in total acrimony - but basically he was one of the very few Motherwell managers to be sacked..They used some excuse about him not signing a contract but it was because he had lost the entire club, never mind the dressing room.

He was looking for other jobs during his time as Motherwell manager and the reason he didn't sign a contract was because he had no real intention of staying at Motherwell.

He was supposedly a wizard at bring on youth players yet he gave debuts to the following Motherwell youngsters - Ross Forbes, Johnny Page, Steven Meechan, Bob McHugh, Jordan Halsman, Paul Slane and Jamie Pollock. Not one of them was good enough for a variety of reasons.

Compare with youngsters given debuts by the previous manager - Jamie Murphy, Shaun Hutchinson and Steven Saunders.

And then there was his amazing ability to spot players (with a budget no Motherwell manager has had since due to player sales and McGhee compensation).

Yassin Moutaoukil (absolutely shite), Giles Coke (quite average, dropped out of the first team after departure of Gannon), Chris Humphreys (couldn't get a game while the superior Jim O'Brien was still at the club), Tom Hateley (another quite average player).

To give him his dues he did sign Steve Jennings, a good player who did a good job for us but overrated by some, and Chris Humphrey did eventually come on to a game about three seasons after Gannon had departed. I don't think it took any special ability to pick up Jutkiewicz and Ruddy, the two best players Gannon signed, from Everton.

Even so that's 3 (and a half if you count Humphrey) out of 7. Hardly an amazing record if you actually examine it. Both Craig Brown and Stuart McCall signed better players than any of them afterwards (Randolph, Blackman, Law, Higdon, Ojamaa etc.)

Was that the cup game?

Remember cuffing them 3-0 at LS when we were in the 1st and Corky was unplayable that day. Think Charlie Adam scored as well.

Probably the greatest individual performance I've seen from a Saints player. Can't think of any others off hand anyway.

Corcoran was so frustrating. Games like that showed he clearly had skilled but you only saw it a handful of games a season. Too often he was posted missing. If someone booted him in the first five minutes the next time you'd see him was when he was being subbed an hour later. Suppose if he'd been producing it every week he'd have been nowhere near us.

Not sure where he is now - dropped down the leagues instead of going abroad. Last I knew he was at Stenny.

Archived