Exam results

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see they've adjusted the grade boundaries for Higher Maths because the exam was more difficult than it should have been.

Surely, though, there must be some pupils who would have achieved an 'A' anyway, without adjustment? It strikes me that if you can get an unadjusted 'A' in an exam that was deemed too difficult to keep the normal boundaries, you deserve a bit of extra recognition.

I see they've adjusted the grade boundaries for Higher Maths because the exam was more difficult than it should have been.

Surely, though, there must be some pupils who would have achieved an 'A' anyway, without adjustment? It strikes me that if you can get an unadjusted 'A' in an exam that was deemed too difficult to keep the normal boundaries, you deserve a bit of extra recognition.

There won't have been many that will have got an A regularly. I didn't sit it but all my friends (some who have got As in everything) said it was torture. I only know one that's failed though.

All boundaries are always adjusted anyway in every sqa exam.

Basically, a certain percentage of pupils should get an A, and the boundary is worked out this way rather than an arbitrary score.

Those that have done particularly well will get a band 1, and that's their extra recognition

All boundaries are always adjusted anyway in every sqa exam.

Basically, a certain percentage of pupils should get an A, and the boundary is worked out this way rather than an arbitrary score.

Those that have done particularly well will get a band 1, and that's their extra recognition

So it's more like a competition than a test?

It's how they ensure that a year of a difficult (or easy) exam doesn't penalise or give an advantage to undeserving kids.

Those who perform the best in the exam should always get an A regardless of its toughness, and those who perform poorest should always fail

Spent this time last year patching my results while smoking fat gars and drinking shit beer on the beach in sunny kavos, the only way to bring in results day :)

Got 3 Ds (giggity) , 6th year was a waste of time for me but probably the best for fannying about with my mates

those who perform poorest should always fail

So it's acceptable for those who got the same score as those in a previous, similar exam to get a completely different grade?

The primary aim of school qualifications is to set them up for work or further study as adults. If employing somebody, I don't care so much whether or not they were the best in their class, I want to know if they have the necessary skills which allow them to do the job.

I was probably more nervous than the kids I teach. Went in on Thursday to see the results and they were broadly decent.

Just about every teacher I've spoken to in different schools says the pass rate for N5 Lifeskills Mathematics is abysmal. Hopefully the SQA do the decent thing and withdraw it as an option.

Wish they would withdraw N5 History :( - unhappy again with results for my class - Higher were OK and N5 and Higher Modern Studies were good :)

Come to think of it, I got an 1 in SG Latin. Mental stuff.

Good to know that a career at Currys* is always available then.

*Now 'Dixons Carphone', although rebranded as Currys.digital (or Currys PC World) for those who fail to understand company buyouts, most often those who failed to attain Standard Grade status, such as my class colleague Graeme McMann. Look who's laughing now.

Eta: Really needs read in a Partridge voice.

So it's acceptable for those who got the same score as those in a previous, similar exam to get a completely different grade?

The primary aim of school qualifications is to set them up for work or further study as adults. If employing somebody, I don't care so much whether or not they were the best in their class, I want to know if they have the necessary skills which allow them to do the job.

I'm not saying whether or not it's a acceptable, I'm saying how the system works. I can see both sides Tbh.

One point is though, it's not best in class, it's best in that age group nationally.

I'm not saying whether or not it's a acceptable, I'm saying how the system works. I can see both sides Tbh.

One point is though, it's not best in class, it's best in that age group nationally.

Class, school, nationally - same principle* still stands.

*'fundamental truth' as opposed to the school headteacher.

Skills required to do most jobs aren't really tested in exams anyway to be honest.

Edit: take the situation with this year's maths exam. Why should a A quality pupil who would have easily scored an A last year be penalised by an exam that was too difficult this year and get a B, potentially closing certain doors that would have stayed open had they happened to have been born a few months earlier.

Archived