Exam results

Uni is shite, it's choc-full of wankers, it's expensive and it doesn't even guarantee you a job any more.

Don't go to uni. If I could turn back the clock 3 years I'd go get an apprenticeship or something.

Feck that. Could you imagine having to work full time when you were like 18?

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uni is shite, it's choc-full of wankers, it's expensive and it doesn't even guarantee you a job any more.

Don't go to uni. If I could turn back the clock 3 years I'd go get an apprenticeship or something.

You mad? Uni is braw. I spent 4 years of uni and 3.5 years of that i spent pished and shagging fat birds. I then went travelling round asia and australia. That sounds infinitely better than getting a job at 18 and earning shit money.

Edit: take the situation with this year's maths exam. Why should a quality pupil who would have easily scored an A last year be penalised by an exam that was too difficult this year and get a B

You appear to be basing your point across the board on a single anomalous exam which the SQA have admitted they f***ed up and for which they appear to have modified the grade cut offs accordingly. Saw one teacher on the news earlier saying that much of the problem was due to the new wording of the questions, which in some cases was more of a test of English than Maths.

Yes, it's rather upsetting and not fair for the students involved, especially those with conditional university offers, but that's not down to the current X% = Grade A system, and with this...

get a B, potentially closing certain doors that would have stayed open had they happened to have been born a few months earlier.

... , the same could easily apply under your proposed competition style system. You're pretty much arguing against your own case here.

Why not go further and ask "is it fair that HC screwed up his Advanced Chemistry because of the new NAB system, where if he'd been a month older he'd have been using the old setup which he would have been much better at?". We all sit different exams and deal with the aforementioned difference in my case. Even if you give folk exactly the same paper, there'll still be that unfairness between years. Ruling any out is basically impossible.

Feck that. Could you imagine having to work full time when you were like 18?

Imagine the horror of actually working, FULL TIME, at 18?! Jeeeeez.

^^ Will be killed at the hands of a Tory Government.

Facebook comments on BBC articles and the like are great reading today. Basically just hundreds of people totally out of touch with reality who last stepped into a school in the 1970s giving it "Aye but back in my day exams were real exams", or in response to the Maths paper "kids these days don't know how tough it was back then". I hate these people, I meet them at almost every parents evening, they try to relive their life through their kids and compare it to the "good old days".

Going into 4th year of Computer Science.

Are the job prospects not good with a degree like that? Just wondering why you wish you had done a trade instead. Definitely appreciate the expense thing. I am still paying off my student loan some ten years after I graduated. I was very lucky to have my parents pay for my rent while I was at uni. Absolutely indebted to them for that which made things a wee bit easier in terms of finance.

Facebook comments on BBC articles and the like are great reading today. Basically just hundreds of people totally out of touch with reality who last stepped into a school in the 1970s giving it "Aye but back in my day exams were real exams", or in response to the Maths paper "kids these days don't know how tough it was back then". I hate these people, I meet them at almost every parents evening, they try to relive their life through their kids and compare it to the "good old days".

I had a look at the Maths past paper and I've no idea what the hell it was talking about :lol: I also had a look at the biology past papers which is more in line with what I do now but I could barely answer any of the questions. I've forgotten pretty much everything from my school days!

You can work or you can go to uni and spend most of the year getting pished and shagging burds. I know what I'd choose

Or have enough cash to do it every weekend and go a couple of holidays a year with your mates... Working full time at 18 isn't unusual.

You can work or you can go to uni and spend most of the year shagging burds.

4th year of Computer Science.

Uni is shite

It's all coming together now.

Definitely appreciate the expense thing. I am still paying off my student loan some ten years after I graduated.

Same here, although I soften the pain by thinking a) that I'd probably be in some menial job without it and b ) by simply ignoring the top-right corner of the pay slip. Tear open, read bottom-right, place in the shredder.

Going into a PhD this October though so unsure on whether to pay off the remaining £3k or so with savings (saving £400 or so in interest over the next three years) or keep it in there knowing that's a tiny interest rate, freeing up savings for other stuff.

Are the job prospects not good with a degree like that?

I've noticed that even up here with the redundancies etc, there seems to be a steady demand for software developers. Dunno if that's touched enough in a standard Computer Science degree of course. Ace job if you know your C++ (or whatever) and love that sort of stuff though.

You appear to be basing your point across the board on a single anomalous exam which the SQA have admitted they f***ed up and for which they appear to have modified the grade cut offs accordingly. Saw one teacher on the news earlier saying that much of the problem was due to the new wording of the questions, which in some cases was more of a test of English than Maths.

Yes, it's rather upsetting and not fair for the students involved, especially those with conditional university offers, but that's not down to the current X% = Grade A system, and with this...

... , the same could easily apply under your proposed competition style system. You're pretty much arguing against your own case here.

Why not go further and ask "is it fair that HC screwed up his Advanced Chemistry because of the new NAB system, where if he'd been a month older he'd have been using the old setup which he would have been much better at?". We all sit different exams and deal with the aforementioned difference in my case. Even if you give folk exactly the same paper, there'll still be that unfairness between years. Ruling any out is basically impossible.

Some exams at the same scqf level are more difficult in different years, and often this doesn't become apparent to the sqa until the exams have been marked, so to combat this they have a system whereby the grades are allocated based on the proportion of pupils who get above a certain boundary statistically rather than setting a arbitrary percentage above which they award a certain grade.

This is the system, I'm not really sure what we're arguing about.

It isn't uncommon for what happened with maths this year to happen, in fact something like this will happen in the diet in most years which is the whole point in allocating the grades the way they do

Edit: not to mention it being compounded with the staggered implementation of the new qualifications.

Or have enough cash to do it every weekend and go a couple of holidays a year with your mates... Working full time at 18 isn't unusual.

If I had to grind 40 hours a week in my late teens is have gotten depressed, and hung myself.

Aye that's pretty much bang on. My course was piss easy and I barely went to classes after some point around 2nd year. I still hit a grade which companies look for for grad schemes, but I didn't do an internship and I don't know any fancy people who can sort me out. If you're studying medicine or dentistry or something then aye, but I'll probably be stacking shelves til I'm about 38.

Bit if a bold statement there. Sure, there are hundreds of people who spend 4+ years studying just to come out the other end with a 30hr/w job at Morrisons, but on the other hand there are many others who come out with a fine degree and even a dream job.

100% on the 'full of wankers' statement though.

Pretty sure that all of the statistics show that graduates earn significantly more on average than non-graduates.

eta - obviously that means throwing medicine in with sports science and Oxbridge in with Caley, but still...

After. Every. Single. Exam. I got this patter from whichever adult I spoke to.

This year I brought back the papers for them to have a go...

Clamped

I think it differs from subject to subject. My dad was a Chemistry teacher and would show his Advanced Higher classes Higher past papers from the 80's and for the same topics they had studied at Higher (not ones where course content had changed) they didn't have a clue.

I'm almost certain that the likes of maths, chemistry and physics have been watered down over the last 30years

I dread to think what Physics waslike in the 80's , I flunked higher after strolling through credit classes a couple of years ago :lol:

During a 2nd year (Yes you read that right, 2nd year) Physics test I had absolutely no clue what anything meant. I took my 'finished' paper up to my teacher to mark and she just started laughing :lol:

She, struggled to regain her composure and said, "Is that really it?, I've watched you copy Jack* throughout this whole paper and you couldn't even copy what he was writing correctly".

I just smiled like a simpleton and asked if I could go now. Needless to say that was the last time I ever set foot in a physics classroom.

*Jack was a physics legend, who unsurprisingly got about full marks.

And look at me know, still no idea how to wire a space rocket to an orange. But on my way to Uni :smartass

Archived