Exam results

There was a direct correlation between my SG and Higher marks where I got A's in my '1 @ SG subjects' and B's in my '2 subjects' but I managed the Higher perfectly fine with just a 2.

Upon reflection, I think my teachers fearmongered a bit by making out that Highers where much more difficult than they really were. I'm pretty sure that this put off some people who opted for an Int2 instead but would have been more than capable of passing the Higher.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my school all S4-S6 Course Choice interviews are now carried out by Senior Management rather than Guidance / Student Support staff as used to be the case . There has also been a big push in our place in recent years to get kids in S5/6 to pick up Personal Development and Leadership at Higher level to try to boost the school's 3+Higher results. I have heard numerous tales of kids wanting to do certain Highers but being "advised" to do these other newly introduced ones instead - whilst it might lead to improvement in Higher results figures the universities in most cases don't recognise them !!!!

I taught PD last year. It was valuable for the kids (who were willing to put effort into it) but for senior management it was a Higher harvesting scheme to improve the stats. A class of 12 motivated students pre-summer turned into 30 kids who'd basically been binned into my class. Been kicked out of a proper Higher? Do PD. Pretty soul destroying Tbh.

In terms of English at standard grade, most places I know of completely discounted the talk grade when considering entry to higher. At least a 2 and a 2 for reading and writing and even then the pupil would be advised it would be a struggle. Talk was too easy to fiddle because it was internally assessed. Not to mention the folio that could be re-written infinite times accounting for 30% of the final mark.

The new set up in English is a more trustworthy reflection of the pupil's own ability. Just wish it wasn't so easy.

I don't recall anyone being denied a chance of doing higher having gotten a 2. It would have been pointed out to them that with a 2 their chances of success would not be as great.

English (for example) is a skills based subject. You develop and improve these as you go through the course. A grade 3 does not preclude sitting higher as the skills will have been learned during S3-4.

Science based subjects are content based - a grade 3 obtained from having done the General course, but not Credit, cannot lead onto higher as a whole chunk of course will not have been taught. A Credit candidate having only obtained a 3 has not fully understood the course and would be likely to struggle in higher.

All this about advise the chances of success being lower etc whilst not specifically banning people is putting them off. That to me seems a very bad idea. It's a settle for int 2, I know it's not worth much more to you but it makes the school look better.

I agree grade 3 makes things difficult and should apply to a (very)small % of pupils where the school thinks a 3 isn't a fair reflection on the pupil who looked like a credit pupil but seemed to have a bad day on the exam.

A 2 tho? Nah the step up isn't that much and anything less than fully encouraging that pupil to opt for higher is pretty poor.

Also when you talk of drop off can you be specific here? What %s are we talking about?

Having a ton of no awards in a subject because you gave pupils the chance doesn't make the school look better.

I don't agree with that approach and think every kid should get the chance but that's not the way management look at things

All this about advise the chances of success being lower etc whilst not specifically banning people is putting them off. That to me seems a very bad idea. It's a settle for int 2, I know it's not worth much more to you but it makes the school look better.

I agree grade 3 makes things difficult and should apply to a (very)small % of pupils where the school thinks a 3 isn't a fair reflection on the pupil who looked like a credit pupil but seemed to have a bad day on the exam.

A 2 tho? Nah the step up isn't that much and anything less than fully encouraging that pupil to opt for higher is pretty poor.

Also when you talk of drop off can you be specific here? What %s are we talking about?

No one is put off - more that they are told they could find it harder if they don't put the effort in.

Any who do find it a struggle and are honest with themselves after the prelim usually defer until S6.

Figure - I don't have these to hand. I'd imagine they are on the SQA website, although I'm not sure if the SG data would still be there.

A grade 2 would have been given the following options from us -

1. Higher, with the option to defer if it did not go well in both prelims.

2. Higher over two years.

3. Something other subject if they didn't want or need our subject at higher.

Someone mentioned Int.2 - that was never an option for a grade 2 candidate, especially given the UCAS ranking order was - A,1,B,2,C.

The odd grade 3/4 pupil has sat through the Higher course in S5 with the aim to sitting Int.2 then Higher in S6.

My sister was at school the first year Int 2s were introduced, after getting a 2 in SG Maths she was advised to do Int 2 in 5th year before Higher in 6th year. Completely pointless given that Int 2 in maths is just half the SG Credit course.

My daughter got 4 A's and will be heading to Heriot-Watt, even just looking at her in a suggestive tone and you tax sponging, soap dodging, McDonalds wanna-be's, flip flops in the middle of winter kind of guys, will die.

She will definitely be getting pumped all over riccarton

There was a direct correlation between my SG and Higher marks where I got A's in my '1 @ SG subjects' and B's in my '2 subjects' but I managed the Higher perfectly fine with just a 2.

Upon reflection, I think my teachers fearmongered a bit by making out that Highers where much more difficult than they really were. I'm pretty sure that this put off some people who opted for an Int2 instead but would have been more than capable of passing the Higher.

Despite getting a 3 for SG English in 4th year, I got a B for Higher English in 5th year. I actually found Credit English harder than Higher English.

I agree with you that teachers over-exaggerate the difficulty of Highers. In my case, the difficulty of Higher English was very much overstated. I found it piss easy and despite doing very little revision for it, I managed a B.

• 11 months later...

Higher History- A

Higher Modern Studies- A

Higher Computing- A

Higher English- B

Into 2 Maths- A

No' too bad at all.

Bumpety bump

Anyone else getting results this year? I'm already into Uni so it wasn't as stressful as last year! Just had a skivey year and managed to pass all of them:

Advanced Computing - C (God knows how I pulled that off)

Higher Admin - A

HIgher Geography - A

Higher PE - B (Chuffed with that, my practical score was rank because I spent 3 months injured)

Hope everyone else got what they needed :)

Higher Admin. What does that entail?

Oh and well done, good grades considering it was a "skivey year"

Cheers.

I basically took Admin with a few of my mates for a skive. It's 70% practical work - Spreadsheets, formal letters on word processing, Databases, PowerPoint etc. Which is alright, although the time limits are pretty tight.

The other 30% is the easiest possible higher questions. 2 pages of questions on things like meetings, methods of communication and keeping files safe.

It was more dull than a skive to be honest, but it was a relatively routine A.

I was probably more nervous than the kids I teach. Went in on Thursday to see the results and they were broadly decent.

Just about every teacher I've spoken to in different schools says the pass rate for N5 Lifeskills Mathematics is abysmal. Hopefully the SQA do the decent thing and withdraw it as an option.

The day of my exam results I sat playing FIFA with my pals until the postman made his appearance. I ever so nearly Hibsed it.

Look at me now, potentially a week away from being an Officer on a cruise ship.

Just remember, its not the end of the world.

Slept in so just got them there.

Nat 5 History- A

Nat 5 English - A

Nat 5 Music - A

Nat 5 French - A

Nat 5 Modern Studies- B

Nat 5 Maths- C

I got an A in the Modern Studies prelim so f**k it I'm claiming an A there as well. Will have to repeat N5 Maths in 5th year though.

My wee brother Hibsed his highers cementing my state as the favourite child #pleasing

I still remember being genuinely ^^^ verge of tears getting my 6th year results.

Had extremely straightforward conditionals which I didn't achieve due to complacently fucking around all year and playing table tennis in the common room all day, every day. One of the worst feelings I've ever experienced.

Then I checked and my number 1 choice had let me in anyway #baller #worthit #PHDintabletennis #dece

Archived