Scottish Teams in Europe - Post Mortem

Mastermind

Heard that it was at Strachan's request that the season extended to 30 May this season - 2 weeks later than the previous year. Something to do with Scotland players having less of a gap between the season end and qualifying matches.

There's 2 unnecessary weeks of matches to help the national team, but put our Europa league qualifying round qualifiers at a disadvantage.

Can't stand internationals myself. Waste of time.

What the f**k are you havering on about?

Last season started later because 'Next season will start a week later, giving players returning from the World Cup extra recuperation time.'

Also how does that put anyone at a disadvantage? Afaik St Johnstone and Aberdeen started their pre seasons the same time they did last year. If anything you'd think they'd be fitter this time round after having less of a break.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season started later because 'Next season will start a week later, giving players returning from the World Cup extra recuperation time.'

Also how does that put anyone at a disadvantage? Afaik St Johnstone and Aberdeen started their pre seasons the same time they did last year. If anything you'd think they'd be fitter this time round after having less of a break.

We've already got seven starters out injured, most are muscle injuries. Its highly unlikely getting a three week break from a gruelling season before another couple of weeks training led to a competitive match didnt cause this. Three of the injuries we know for certain happened during the matches. Starting so early could ruin our entire season.

I'm not saying its a disadvantage, but we had to competitively play in 40 degree heat just two weeks into our pre-season, thats a massive ask for anyone.

We've already got seven starters out injured, most are muscle injuries. Its highly unlikely getting a three week break from a gruelling season before another couple of weeks training led to a competitive match didnt cause this. Three of the injuries we know for certain happened during the matches. Starting so early could ruin our entire season.

I'm not saying its a disadvantage, but we had to competitively play in 40 degree heat just two weeks into our pre-season, thats a massive ask for anyone.

How many muscle injuries have Aberdeen picked up?

Shitey excuses.

Tommy Wright should take the blame for that terrible approach away from home with Sutton and McLean uptop in a 4-4-2, daft, and the players should take the blame for the home leg. Never seen the home leg but I heard it was comfortable until you lost a 'Sunday league public park goal', well according to Cosgrove and Cowan.

Nothing to do with the season finishing 2 weekends later

Eta: another thing that's annoyed me about Wright is the fact he hasn't seemed to sign any creative players whatsoever. 2 defenders, a replacement for Graham and an unknown forward. It was clear from the first half of the season you were really struggling to score goals, surely he should've lined up a list of targets to go for come the end of the year. Fair enough you got Swanson in but now O Halloran literally looks like the only guy that can make things happen for St Johnstone. You relied on that defence a lot last season but now Wright and McKay are out you're going to struggle I think.

There are so many problems (and positives) in the game that a single fix like summer football won't sort it out. There has to wide ranging changes within a five or ten year plan which could include

Summer football/ winter break

Change of leadership within sfa/spfl

A change of rebranding of our national game and leagues (how I confess I don't know)

A possible league restructure I like 16-16-10 with pyramid system throughout

An emphasis on regional academies to help promote youth

A change in transfer policy of some kind where players i dunno have to honour the contracts been offered so the bigger clubs can't pinch them and bench them

A change of the way the wage bill is worked as some clubs spiral into debt with players or staff they can't afford

Scotland as a nation has to embrace some changes to move with the times or I think we will face our national team our european teams and all clubs being left behind and struggling I hope that in the years to come all levels of the game improve on and off the pitch

How many muscle injuries have Aberdeen picked up?

Shitey excuses.

Tommy Wright should take the blame for that terrible approach away from home with Sutton and McLean uptop in a 4-4-2, daft, and the players should take the blame for the home leg. Never seen the home leg but I heard it was comfortable until you lost a 'Sunday league public park goal', well according to Cosgrove and Cowan.

Nothing to do with the season finishing 2 weekends later

Aberdeen were resting players by the end of the season.

We played the only 11 players who looked like they could cope with the heat, by most accounts. There was no point chucking someone in to only play half an hour. It was more a 4-4-1-1 anyway, a formation we play more often than not. Not sure why playing a familiar formation to one thats seen us win away to Celtic is considered stupid away to a "pub team"?

And yeah, we lost a daft goal, it happens sometimes when we're bombing everyone forward looking for a goal. Again though, we'd had to change both centre halves by that point, and the only natural midfielders on the pitch were 20 and 21 and have about 40 games between them.

I'm passing on what I heard first hand from someone who ought to know.

That you may be ignorant of that fact does not excuse your rudeness :)

It's not even remotely "a very difficult situation" to know that you'll be playing European football in the first two weeks of July again, having experience of similar ties in recent years - and manage to be seeded against a Junior-size rabble from one of the bottom-ranked leagues in Europe.

Doesn't matter if they know about it or not, the problem of having a short break is still there.

The onus is on the participant clubs to find a means of getting their early start to a pre-season right, rather than shifting 30-odd clubs' preparations because one or two sometimes make an arse of their European tie.

And what should they have done differently?

Getting knocked out early by an unseeded team is not a unique occurrence that has only ever happened to St Johnstone.

Not looked at any statistics, but would guess in the past few years Scottish clubs winning against unseeded teams is probably as common as the defeats. That would suggest there's a wider problem all clubs suffer from rather than poor preparation by St Johnstone.

I'm passing on what I heard first hand from someone who ought to know.

That you may be ignorant of that fact does not excuse your rudeness :)

You're speaking shite. Scott Brown and Mulgrew were the only 2 near the team from Scotland and the Ireland game was still 3 weeks after the season finished. It made no difference.

Eta: to Scotland's preparations or St Johnstones failure

How not? Mackay, Anderson, Wright, Millar, Lappin and MacLean all had niggling injuries by the final week of the season, and five of those barely played ninety minutes over the two legs because of these injuries not clearing up in time. All them are starters. If we'd had an extra week or two then we'd have had all but Mackay available.

How not? Mackay, Anderson, Wright, Millar, Lappin and MacLean all had niggling injuries by the final week of the season, and five of those barely played ninety minutes over the two legs because of these injuries not clearing up in time. All them are starters. If we'd had an extra week or two then we'd have had all but Mackay available.

So Gordon Strachan is partly to blame for St Johnstone going out to the 4th best team in Armenia?

Did Lappin not play the full game in Armenia? Did McLean not play 90 at home and near enough the whole game away aswell? Did Wright not get a broken jaw or something?

So Gordon Strachan is partly to blame for St Johnstone going out to the 4th best team in Armenia?

No, the small gap between the end of the season and the start of the new one is, unless you's are arguing about something else

No, the small gap between the end of the season and the start of the new one is, unless you's are arguing about something else

Did Lappin not play the full game in Armenia? Did McLean not play 90 at home and near enough the whole game away aswell? Did Wright not get a broken jaw or something?

There was nearly 6 weeks between St Johnstones last game and their European game. 3 and a half weeks off. Basically it just so happened you had players that have gotten injured and you're partly blaming a short break for that and getting beat?

I personally don't agree with that at all. St Johnstone are punching well above their weight as a club at the moment and are minnows in European terms aswell but you can't blame your defeat to that mob on having too short a break.

Eta: did Armenias season not finish after ours anyway???

There was nearly 6 weeks between St Johnstones last game and their European game. 3 and a half weeks off. Basically it just so happened you had players that have gotten injured and you're partly blaming a short break for that and getting beat?

I personally don't agree with that at all. St Johnstone are punching well above their weight as a club at the moment and are minnows in European terms aswell but you can't blame your defeat to that mob on having too short a break.

Eta: did Armenias season not finish after ours anyway???

Im saying that the short break prevented us from getting key players fully recovered from injuries in time for the ties. The players had knocks and a few were playing through injections. Anderson went for an operation. They had about two weeks recovery time before being straight into training again, thats not a long time.

Im not using this as an excuse, we should still have beaten them, but when your vital players are either missing or still carrying knocks then you'll be weaker than you wouldve been, and a lack of recovery time prevented most of them getting near the level they should be.

Im saying that the short break prevented us from getting key players fully recovered from injuries in time for the ties. The players had knocks and a few were playing through injections. Anderson went for an operation. They had about two weeks recovery time before being straight into training again, thats not a long time.

Im not using this as an excuse, we should still have beaten them, but when your vital players are either missing or still carrying knocks then you'll be weaker than you wouldve been, and a lack of recovery time prevented most of them getting near the level they should be.

Aye so you had players injured? Fair enough. Alashkert had a shorter break after all so you can't moan about that.

It's just bad luck that you had players injured and they didn't.

Aye so you had players injured? Fair enough. Alashkert had a shorter break after all so you can't moan about that.

It's just bad luck that you had players injured and they didn't.

:lol: not sure why youre so riled up here, we started the first leg without three of our starting backline, then the second leg without three of our midfield. Its not a stretch to say we'd have either scored an extra one or conceded one less if we hadnt been hampered so much.

Again though, those out there should have done better, but it was the first that defence then midfield had ever played together.

:lol: not sure why youre so riled up here, we started the first leg without three of our starting backline, then the second leg without three of our midfield. Its not a stretch to say we'd have either scored an extra one or conceded one less if we hadnt been hampered so much.

Again though, those out there should have done better, but it was the first that defence then midfield had ever played together.

I was only replying to the post that said it was Gordon Strachans fault the league started later than usual because we had Ireland to play. When Infact it was because of the WC. The reason why the FA cup and Champions League etc was later than usual too I'm sure.

But the 'we never had a long enough break' excuse is getting on my nerves too, not just on here but in the media etc aswell with all the talk of a summer break. At the end of the day the Armenian team had a shorter break. So it's got nothing to do with how long St Johnstone had off.

Yes. But the Armenian side never had seven key players carrying knocks then had to play in tempratures three times higher than what their used to. Again we should be beating them, circumstances helped them though.

Archived