Scottish Teams in Europe - Post Mortem

Mastermind

Thanks hellbhoy ;) and, its a disgrace that the reason of the fall of the league its the money... In fact, SKY obviously prefer more popular leagues to expend their money.... Its shameful that TRUE and POPULAR big clubs in the world like Celtic and Rangers, or clubs revelation in last seasons like Saint Johnstone or ICT dont have the respect that they deserve....

respectfully, in my country and in many neighbour countrys, the scottish football league dont have followers (only maybe USA) at least compared with other areas (like New Zealand, Australia, Republic or Ireland) and this is a problem when a Televisión Network offers a partnership to obtain the televisión rights....

This situation seems that not change in a short time... what can the sctottish clubs chairmans do about this? The scottish league isnt an atractive in marketing in another countries (no offense) Do you consider a merger with FA?

Thanks

A merger with the FA ? :eek:

We are waiting for the EPL bubble to burst. :)

As shameful as it is our associations have led us to this point with ineptness at all levels and their uncanny ability to talk our game down instead of putting forward the positives if SKY ploughed more money into the game. More so when they penned a deal that was reliant upon 4 Old Firm games a season instead of the league as a whole no matter who was playing in it.

Lastly England can go and fcuk themselves silly because I for one won't be sad when they go bust. :)

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A merger with the FA ? :eek:

We are waiting for the EPL bubble to burst. :)

As shameful as it is our associations have led us to this point with ineptness at all levels and their uncanny ability to talk our game down instead of putting forward the positives if SKY ploughed more money into the game. More so when they penned a deal that was reliant upon 4 Old Firm games a season instead of the league as a whole no matter who was playing in it.

Lastly England can go and fcuk themselves silly because I for one won't be sad when they go bust. :)

=/ Sorry... Maybe isnt corret to talk about a merger with FA... I know a little about the situation of Scotland-England, so, im apologise.... But at least, I belive that a British Football League (England, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales) should be stronger...

Yeah, I agree about the problem of Old Firm games (Maybe a Edinburgh derby or the New firm deserve similar respect and media coverage).... In my country the most popular teams are America, Guadalajara, Cruz Azul, and UNAM, and the situation of this teams its a little similar like Old Firm, its a problem to other clubs get new followers (the attendance to games between 2 little clubs are too poor),so i can understand that (Ronaldinho come to play with Querétaro FC, it was a hard kick to the Big Four XD XD)

Things must be bad in Mexico if your taking an interest in Scottish fitba.

Actually the mexican football league its the most powerful league in north america and the 3rd more important in the continent only after brazilian and argentinian leagues... But i have interest in scottish football for its amazing history (also Northern Ireland have an amazing history and also likes me ) and have very great clubs (Celtic, Aberdeen , Hearts, Hibs, Rangers); the league are good (not exelent) in my country, at least the level its fine (The attendance to the stadiums, thats the bad point on the situation).... Its just I like British Soccer(Not only english)....

Finally, your league, and of course, the fans deserve a better place in UEFA, I belive that

Respect to you, scottish people

• 3 months later...

A draw tonight or in either of the last 32 games will ensure the Scottish cup winners next season enter at the 2nd qualifying round in season 2016-17 rather than the first as at worst we would finish the season ranked 23rd in Europe. This is the case next season with this seasons cup winners coming in at round 2 and the two other teams in round 1 for the 2015-16 competition.

Despite everyone bar Celtic going out in the qualifiers its already our second best season in the last 5 years in terms of coefficient points and going into the next two years there are a number of nations who will fall down the table due to very good seasons in the past falling off their scores. (Denmark and Cyprus fall below us and the Dutch are set to fall to around 15th or 16th in the next few years)

A draw tonight or in either of the last 32 games will ensure the Scottish cup winners next season enter at the 2nd qualifying round in season 2016-17 rather than the first as at worst we would finish the season ranked 23rd in Europe. This is the case next season with this seasons cup winners coming in at round 2 and the two other teams in round 1 for the 2015-16 competition.

Despite everyone bar Celtic going out in the qualifiers its already our second best season in the last 5 years in terms of coefficient points and going into the next two years there are a number of nations who will fall down the table due to very good seasons in the past falling off their scores. (Denmark and Cyprus fall below us and the Dutch are set to fall to around 15th or 16th in the next few years)

I was encouraged by Deila saying he'd not play a weakened XI tonight for coefficient reasons.

Albeit we'll await what XI he actually fields.

I've just seen this thread for the first time. I didn't think it was possible for Mastermind to be a bigger c**t than he already is. How wrong I was.

The kids just a talentless troll.

Give him a break.

The scottish league isnt an atractive in marketing in another countries (no offense) Do you consider a merger with FA?

Thanks

Having people in charge of Scottish professional football that can grasp simple concepts would help.

What Regan and Doncaster should have said after Rangers death (or something along these lines, anyway);

"As disappointing as it is to see one of the clubs larger and more well supported sides going into severe financial difficulties, we are nonetheless very confident that our league is of sufficient quality to attract huge interest, both domestically and in foreign markets. Our attendances are very healthy for a nation of our size, and there is some fantastic football on offer at very reasonable prices, so we are very excited about the future of Scottish football. There are several offers from sponsors who are interested in discussing packages covering our top flight and also whatever division Rangers* are admitted to, and while our preference would be to see them readmitted at as high a level as possible for short-term stability, we are nonetheless confident that any difficulties brought about by Rangers liquidation can be overcome."

Even if its not all true; even if there aren't many sponsors queuing up; even if the football isn't fantastic; its your FUCKING JOB to sell the game, even if privately you're shitting your wee pants.

What they said was, from memory, something along these lines;

"Armaggedon! Social unrest! Our game is complete shit without Celtic and Rangers together, pretty please let them in the top flight!" and then when they weren't allowed in to the SPL after the clubs voted against it it was "Armaggedon! Social unrest! If you won't admit the phoenix club to the top flight, our game is still complete shit, please let them in the second tier!" and then when *THAT* didn't happen, shit shock horror after those tools talking the game down, we've still not got a sponsor. Fucking incredible.

To return to this: Celtic obviously lost tonight, and based on performances so far, may not get a draw in either of their Last 32 ties if drawn against calibre opposition.

Which brings me to my question - would we probably be OK anyway? Slots often drift-up slightly if, for example, 1/both titleholder slots are unused.

You could be correct, the new system does have a lot of cup winners and champions moving both up and down depending on the league placing of both the Champions league and Europa league winners.

In a way being 24th and having 3 teams hopefully pick up home and away wins in qualifying round 1 may be more beneficial in the long run as against the cup winner or league runner up (if the Scottish is won by the league champions) being unseeded in round 2.

• 2 months later...

Cheers. Realistically could a wee Celtic run do anything?

Bringing up an old thread here, but would we be better off with Celtic losing both legs to Inter, and therefore all our Europa League qualifiers entering as early as possible in 16/17?

They should all be seeded, and *should* (even by our usual standards) win home and away in QR1.

In order to pick up as many coefficient points as possible, starting early isn't a bad thing. Also gives everyone a wee head start ahead of QR2 - did Aberdeen the world of good against Groningen this season after the two games with Daugava Riga.

Disagree, the co efficient needs to be as good as possible. Disappointing Aberdeen got drawn Sociedad as I think they could've done ok in the groups if they got there. Desperate to see TWO teams competing in the group stages next year! I remember when we had both Rangers and Celtic in the UCL groups and that amazing year Aberdeen had in the UEFA. Good times.

Disagree, the co efficient needs to be as good as possible. Disappointing Aberdeen got drawn Sociedad as I think they could've done ok in the groups if they got there. .

Well Sociedad never got to the group stage themselves, let's remember. The mighty Kuban Krasnodor knocked them out in the final playoff, and Krasnodor themselves then went out at the group stage.

Given that, what makes you think Aberdeen would have done ok?

Disagree, the co efficient needs to be as good as possible. Disappointing Aberdeen got drawn Sociedad as I think they could've done ok in the groups if they got there. Desperate to see TWO teams competing in the group stages next year! I remember when we had both Rangers and Celtic in the UCL groups and that amazing year Aberdeen had in the UEFA. Good times.

Aye but to get the coefficient up we need to pick up as many points as possible, and all our clubs should win the QR1 ties which gives us more points, and the early start gives our clubs a wee head start on whoever they face in QR2 (like I say, did Aberdeen the world of good against a seeded Dutch team), which might help them all go a wee bit further.

Of course, if Celtic rack up a few wins and actually knock Inter out then that puts the points in the bag. But a draw and defeat and getting knocked out would maybe leave us worse off.

Well Sociedad never got to the group stage themselves, let's remember. The mighty Kuban Krasnodor knocked them out in the final playoff, and Krasnodor themselves then went out at the group stage.

Because I think they have a decent team. I don't care what Sociedad did afterwards. I thought it was unlucky they drew the 7th best team in Spain. Absolutely desperate to see a team other than Celtic or Rangers get a crack at the groups in a European competition. The co efficient being so poor makes it extremely difficult though.

Well I can't answer for him, but Aberdeen haven't been that far off the standard of Celtic this season who did okay in the groups, so who knows. Don't think they'd have been embarassed anyway,

Sociedad were pretty unlucky to be fair from memory, think two late goals knocked them out.

Celtic get their draw then, which means Scotland will remain in 23rd at least for the 2016/17 season.

Would need to win at least 4 games in this campaign to catch Denmark in 22nd place. They still have Aalborg in Europe but they lost 3-1 at home tonight to Club Brugge.

Archived