Scottish Teams in Europe - Post Mortem

Mastermind

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes. But the Armenian side never had seven key players carrying knocks then had to play in tempratures three times higher than what their used to. Again we should be beating them, circumstances helped them though.

Of course the flip side to this is that they had to play in temperatures three times lower than what they are used to.

Either way, its a poor excuse

Of course the flip side to this is that they had to play in temperatures three times lower than what they are used to.

The average temperature in January in Armenia is -5c, so I don't think they had to acclimatise too much to the weather in Perth.

I was only replying to the post that said it was Gordon Strachans fault the league started later than usual because we had Ireland to play.

Replying in a rude manner.

You claim to state facts but failed to accept that I had said it was told to me first hand by a football source. Not that I care what you think, as your repeated rudeness says enough. Shame there can't be a reasonable discussion without resorting to insulting language.

Replying in a rude manner.

You claim to state facts but failed to accept that I had said it was told to me first hand by a football source. Not that I care what you think, as your repeated rudeness says enough. Shame there can't be a reasonable discussion without resorting to insulting language.

:lol:

Get a grip

Doesn't matter if they know about it or not, the problem of having a short break is still there.

And what should they have done differently?

Well no, the short break being a "problem" is an assertion only, not something that is "still there" at all. It evidently wasn't a problem for them last season when Saint Johnstone and many of the same players overperformed.

Reviewing the training and friendly preparations that has, at least from circumstantial evidence, led to an injury pileup that Saint Johnstone fans have cited as their piss-poor excuse for failure would be a plausible start.

Getting knocked out early by an unseeded team is not a unique occurrence that has only ever happened to St Johnstone.

Not looked at any statistics, but would guess in the past few years Scottish clubs winning against unseeded teams is probably as common as the defeats. That would suggest there's a wider problem all clubs suffer from rather than poor preparation by St Johnstone.

A problem that doesn't actually surface on an annual basis, but rather when individual clubs make a c**t of it. Saint Johnstone had no need for complaints about a short break last season when they were being congratulated for good performances, now they've made an arse of it. Part of that is a simple reversion towards a mean, another part something that may have gone wrong in their preparation. That's something for the club to have a look at, rather than the entirety of Scottish football.

:lol:

Get a grip

A grip of you round the throat perhaps. Not likely though. I'm about to be wiped out by Essex Saint before you catch me severely weakened.

I'm not saying the extra two weeks excuses our performance. I'm far more annoyed about it than you or the fans of any other club could be. We were poor in both legs for whatever reason. Our performances fell far short of what we have achieved previously. No amount of poking fun or serious criticism can ever eclipse our own frustration.

A grip of you round the throat perhaps. Not likely though. I'm about to be wiped out by Essex Saint before you catch me severely weakened.

I'm not saying the extra two weeks excuses our performance. I'm far more annoyed about it than you or the fans of any other club could be. We were poor in both legs for whatever reason. Our performances fell far short of what we have achieved previously. No amount of poking fun or serious criticism can ever eclipse our own frustration.

I think as a club you're punching well above your weight and doing extremely well. It was a disappointing result but that's it. I wouldn't get to bothered by it if I was a saints fan.

I just don't think the breaks any sort of excuse to be making, also just don't think that GS had anything to do with the season starting later. It was because of the WC.

I think as a club you're punching well above your weight and doing extremely well. It was a disappointing result but that's it. I wouldn't get to bothered by it if I was a saints fan.

I just don't think the breaks any sort of excuse to be making, also just don't think that GS had anything to do with the season starting later. It was because of the WC.

Unless you have an official who outranks the official I spoke with then I'm sticking to what I said, but there aren't many of those ;)

Gordon Strachan sets the FIFA International Calendar and UEFA club competitions schedule... :huh:?

Apparently there's been a system in place for some time.

League season always finishes with the Scottish Cup Final, which is always the week before the CL Final (when UEFA now permit no other games). [Few seasons ago they played Scottish Cup Final on the Sunday to avoid this - but that's a week later not earlier, and wasn't very popular anyway].

CL Final is always the last game before the June international break or World Cup/Euros release period.

In practice that means CL Final is always 2 weeks later in odd-numbered years than in WC years, and 1 week later than in Euro years.

When we start our league season is less restricted, but last season it had to wait on the Commonwealth Games finishing, IIRC.

SPFL rulebook also says it can't be earlier than July 31st.

Combination of 2 week later finish (odd-numbered year) and 1 week earlier start (no Commonwealth Games) does mean a shorter gap in 2015, but given your Scottish Cup Final participation you only finished 7 days later than in 2014, and Alashkert actually finished later than you did.

Are you suggesting we finish in April/early May?

Maybe you could have a clause in players' contracts that extends their availability beyond the end of the season if there are European qualifiers coming up. It's happened a few times that Scottish teams have barely been able to find eleven players + subs without raiding the youth squad.

Well no, the short break being a "problem" is an assertion only, It evidently wasn't a problem for them last season when Saint Johnstone and many of the same players overperformed.

Reviewing the training and friendly preparations that has, at least from circumstantial evidence, led to an injury pileup that Saint Johnstone fans have cited as their piss-poor excuse for failure would be a plausible start.

Taking previous seasons into account is part of my point though. They knocked Rosenborg out then lost to Minsk. Last year it was a very decent Swiss team then a defeat to Trvana or something.

That was my point, that at this stage of the season no-one is at their best and random results happen. Giving ourselves a short break certainly doesn't help.

Stjarnan too beat Motherwell and everyone slaughtered 'Well for it, but then they beat Lech Poznan, who went on to be Polish champions. Were Stjarnan any good? Probably not, but they got these sides at the best time to play them.

Every year random results are thrown up in the qualifiers. It's not a problem unique to Scotland.

Gordon Strachan sets the FIFA International Calendar and UEFA club competitions schedule... :huh:?

Apparently there's been a system in place for some time.

League season always finishes with the Scottish Cup Final, which is always the week before the CL Final (when UEFA now permit no other games). [Few seasons ago they played Scottish Cup Final on the Sunday to avoid this - but that's a week later not earlier, and wasn't very popular anyway].

CL Final is always the last game before the June international break or World Cup/Euros release period.

In practice that means CL Final is always 2 weeks later in odd-numbered years than in WC years, and 1 week later than in Euro years.

When we start our league season is less restricted, but last season it had to wait on the Commonwealth Games finishing, IIRC.

SPFL rulebook also says it can't be earlier than July 31st.

Combination of 2 week later finish (odd-numbered year) and 1 week earlier start (no Commonwealth Games) does mean a shorter gap in 2015, but given your Scottish Cup Final participation you only finished 7 days later than in 2014, and Alashkert actually finished later than you did.

Are you suggesting we finish in April/early May?

I would. Mid-April finish, have pre-season for 6 weeks, back training in June, season starts July, then plenty of time for a winter break.

The "what if we've a World Cup on". Well, let's say Scotland make Euro 2016. Celtic could have Brown, Mulgrew, Forrest, Gordon, Griffiths and maybe even GMS and Armstong all in France. It won't stop UEFA making them play early qualifiers, possibly while the tournament is still going.

I don't see the sense in not playing during later April and May and not just due to June qualifiers or WC/Euro finals. Does anyone else finish so early? I can't recall any. It seems an odd solution to me.

I would rather we started up in later July and added a winter break for a couple of weekends in January. And maybe set a standard finish in mid-to-late May, instead of varying as much by 2 weeks depending on what point of the 4-year cycle it is (e.g. only finish 1 week later in odd-numbered years).

Maybe you could have a clause in players' contracts that extends their availability beyond the end of the season if there are European qualifiers coming up. It's happened a few times that Scottish teams have barely been able to find eleven players + subs without raiding the youth squad.

Has it? When?

Taking previous seasons into account is part of my point though. They knocked Rosenborg out then lost to Minsk. Last year it was a very decent Swiss team then a defeat to Trvana or something.

That was my point, that at this stage of the season no-one is at their best and random results happen. Giving ourselves a short break certainly doesn't help.

Stjarnan too beat Motherwell and everyone slaughtered 'Well for it, but then they beat Lech Poznan, who went on to be Polish champions. Were Stjarnan any good? Probably not, but they got these sides at the best time to play them.

Every year random results are thrown up in the qualifiers. It's not a problem unique to Scotland.

The reason why "random results" are thrown up in these ties is because it's a cup format. Which is why "random results" aren't limited to the early rounds of European ties, but all other competitions which operate on a cup tie basis. You are bound to have lots of upsets when the sides play against each other just twice, with limited scouting or tactical knowledge to hand as well.

Somewhere out there on the internet, there's a Croatian P&B where someone has started a thread just like this one.

Their season's already started though, so they can't moan about that one.

Archived