Sportsound Watch

16 hours ago, Forfinn said:

Re Chick Young, making a guess from some stuff he said on Off The Ball the other week, it sounds like he's actually retired as a permanent BBC employee (and is presumably drawing a pension accordingly), and is now freelancing for them.  I'm pretty sure some of the other big names like Richard Gordon are freelancers rather than permanent employees too.  That sound about right to anyone?

Re Sportsound itself, I was disappointed there wasn't any sort of show on Tuesday night to cover the Irn Bru Cup first round.  I know it's a diddy competition, but the introduction of the U20s is a novelty that could have done with the exposure.  I might have been the only one, but I would have loved to listen in to some Open All Mics coverage.  Obviously, it would have been a shambles, with pundits who can barely remember the names of non-Old Firm Premiership players, never mind Highland League and youth players, but it could've been fun.

Then last night, the BBC didn't have the rights to stream the commentary of the Celtic game.  Anyone know why this was?  I always listen to the radio through my phone, as I imagine an increasingly large number of people do.  I can't remember the last time I actually turned the radio on in my flat.  I hope it's not a sign of further cutbacks.

Yeah that's probably the case - although I'd be surprised if it's only a recent development. Seem to recall either reading in a book or being told during a uni lecture that this started years ago when BBC journalists (proper political reporters, not Scottish football ones) started writing opinion columns in papers. To stop possible accusations of bias and issues over impartiality, the staff became freelancers and so technically weren't BBC employees writing the articles. To use an extreme example, that'll be why Gary Lineker can present MOTD as well as work for BT and flog crisps.

Some good news for Sportsound listeners - I think BBC Scotland's resident Brains from Thunderbirds look-a-like Chris McLaughlin has been dispatched to Rio to cover the Olympics so we'll be free from him for a few weeks.

No you normally can

Not on the radio apps I use anyway.

It's always Richard Gordon saying 'for rights reason we are unable to bring you this broadcast please head to www.bbc.co.uk....'

On every single one on my iPhone. It's annoyed me hunners of times.

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Not on the radio apps I use anyway.

It's always Richard Gordon saying 'for rights reason we are unable to bring you this broadcast please head to www.bbc.co.uk....'

On every single one on my iPhone. It's annoyed me hunners of times.

I always just use the bbc sport app

2 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I've just downloaded this cheers. Never heard of it, maybe that's where the original poster went wrong. The game was definitely on the radio anyway.

I couldn't get it on the bbc sport app the other night either to be fair

24 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

I've just downloaded this cheers. Never heard of it, maybe that's where the original poster went wrong. The game was definitely on the radio anyway.

Nope, I've think I've got this covered.  Whilst they had it on the actual radio, the BBC don't appear to have had the rights to stream this domestically, never mind internationally.  The message you hear from Richard Gordon usually only applies on apps that can be used internationally.

The BBC iPlayer Radio app only provides the FM version of Radio Scotland, so you can't actually stream midweek Sportsound through that at all, which seems like a nonsense to me.  I'd be interested to hear the listening figures for Sportsound vs Get it On with Bryan Burnett.

So for midweek Sportsound I listen to the MW stream through the TuneIn Radio app.  It's grand until the game kicks-off, when you start to get the automated "for rights reasons we are unable to bring you this game on a worldwide stream" message from Richard Gordon.  By which point, the BBC Sport app will have its live updates page up and running and you just click on the "Live Coverage" tab there to get the commentary.

It's all very convoluted.  The BBC's digital technology is very good - the iPlayer, radio app etc are all excellent, but Radio Scotland should be making it easier to listen to what must be one of their most popular shows through the official radio app.

As to why the BBC didn't have the rights to stream the commentary domestically, I really have no idea.  I'm pretty sure they had the games against Red Imps, and they had the Aberdeen game last night.  It appears to be a bit of an anomaly.

2 hours ago, Forfinn said:

the automated "for rights reasons we are unable to bring you this game on a worldwide stream" message from Richard Gordon.

When I know I'll struggle to get out of bed the next morning I set that as my alarm tone and leave it on the other side of the room. It's annoying as f**k.

Alan Archibald having a dig at Pat Bonner http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14663649.Thistle_boss_Archibald_fires_back_at_Bonner_after_relegation_prediction/

Can't imagine any other outlet giving air time to someone that blatantly makes no effort to follow the game he is paid to talk about. 

10 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Alan Archibald having a dig at Pat Bonner http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/14663649.Thistle_boss_Archibald_fires_back_at_Bonner_after_relegation_prediction/

Can't imagine any other outlet giving air time to someone that blatantly makes no effort to follow the game he is paid to talk about. 

He doesn't know where Partick is, Pat doesn't know where he is himself half the time.

On 8/5/2016 at 00:22, Gaz FFC said:

Pissing off Scotland for kicks you mean?

Aye , your right BUT , at least he.s got some sort of personality/ character/banter about him..I fear listening to radio Scotland with non funny types who trot out cliches and speak monotone..Spencey was a big loss , and i hate to say this but i think Sportsound would miss the clownishness of Mr Dung..

11 hours ago, gastropod said:

Aye , your right BUT , at least he.s got some sort of personality/ character/banter about him..I fear listening to radio Scotland with non funny types who trot out cliches and speak monotone..Spencey was a big loss , and i hate to say this but i think Sportsound would miss the clownishness of Mr Dung..

Chick Young is clearly rather a dick.  

However, I see where you're coming from here.  He's far from the worst person that Sportsound give a platform to.

However, I see where you're coming from here.  He's far from the worst person that Sportsound give a platform to.

He needs a platform all right....as long as it has a length of rope and a gallows.....

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A big improvement on Jum Spence who was edging chick out.

Still a dick tho.