Sportsound Watch

There's a difference between building up to a big derby and the disgraceful overkill they come out with before the bigotfest whilst further undermining the rest of Scottish football. The two clubs and this game are actually contrary to everything the BBC stands for yet it's all ignored, even when it's covered in England, and they actively promote it all. They should be held to account rather than it being accepted by diddy fans as the way it is.

I think on Monday someone e-mailed in suggesting it may be in Scotland's interests to write off a campaign while blooding younger players. Willie Miller and Graham Spiers both laughed at this idea, however I seem to remember that's effectively what Wales did. It might have taken them more than a campaign but ultimately it paid off. Instead it was "Ye cannae do that, the manager's job is to win games not develop players" from Miller.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think on Monday someone e-mailed in suggesting it may be in Scotland's interests to write off a campaign while blooding younger players. Willie Miller and Graham Spiers both laughed at this idea, however I seem to remember that's effectively what Wales did. It might have taken them more than a campaign but ultimately it paid off. Instead it was "Ye cannae do that, the manager's job is to win games not develop players" from Miller.

They do talk some pish, but in this case they're absolutely right.  That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.  It kind of helped Wales that the people coming through at that time were so good - what would we have to bring through?  The U21s?  The ones that got beat off Malta then pumped off of Ukraine?  Haud me back...

What does Wales have to do with anything? People always use these kind of examples as if they're proof of something, they're a different country and were under a completely different set of circumstances regarding quality of player in squad, quality of player coming through.

It would be absolutely ridiculous to just discard guys we have now to focus on the under 21s playing in the first team for a number of different reasons. I can't believe people are even attempting to make it into an argument/debate.

What always gets me in the build up to an OF game is not that they promote it. You know, fair enough it's a derby let's talk it up and sell Scottish football.

It's the way that in every other fixture in Scottish football were told it doesn't sell, we can't promote it, or even 'aw Hamilton vs st Johnstone sounds crap'

They have shown that a shite game (which in football terms the OF is) can be talked up to be some sort of world wide event but everything else is just dire.

They do talk some pish, but in this case they're absolutely right.  That would be an incredibly stupid thing to do.  It kind of helped Wales that the people coming through at that time were so good - what would we have to bring through?  The U21s?  The ones that got beat off Malta then pumped off of Ukraine?  Haud me back...

In fairness it wasn't so much that they deliberately wrote off campaigns...they just had toshak in charge who was bitter about the good results under Hughes and who alienated a large number of their senior players. They had noone left to play but the youngsters and prior to speed taking over it was becoming a total train wreck.

2 hours ago, forameus said:

The Wales situation is an extreme example but I felt it merited a bit more discussion than just dismissing it totally out of hand. Although if it sees a repeat of the Vogts era when half the country got a cap then maybe not.

5 hours ago, 7-2 said:

There's a difference between building up to a big derby and the disgraceful overkill they come out with before the bigotfest whilst further undermining the rest of Scottish football. 

I remember a few years ago that this derby was being played on the Sunday but it was the first thing discussed on Sportsound at 2pm on the Saturday. They went on for about 40 minutes at which point Richard Gordon read out a text from a listener who wanted to remind them the game was tomorrow and that there were 20 games being played today that deserved coverage. Said listener was roundly ridiculed - even from Gordon himself who is usually quite level-headed in these matters.

Wales arent anywhere near the same place we are. They weren't going to lose anything chucking in some youngster, and happened to get a once in a generation level of talent in the same time period.

2 hours ago, The Master said:

I remember a few years ago that this derby was being played on the Sunday but it was the first thing discussed on Sportsound at 2pm on the Saturday. They went on for about 40 minutes at which point Richard Gordon read out a text from a listener who wanted to remind them the game was tomorrow and that there were 20 games being played today that deserved coverage. Said listener was roundly ridiculed - even from Gordon himself who is usually quite level-headed in these matters.

A few years ago I was in a car going to a game with a friend and his mate who was up from England for the weekend. The mate was quite high up in 5Live at the time and he couldn't believe the Saturday pre-match coverage for a game being played on a Sunday. Reckoned he'd be out on his ear if he tried that for a high profile game down south. It's disgraceful it's just normal procedure for Scotland.

Just about every cliche ticked off on Sportsound tonight - Scottish football needs this, this is what we've been missing, Barton is box office and all the other shite. People trying to point out there were other games and not every fan cared about this game were mocked, aside from a half-hearted defence from Tom English.

Had it after tonight. Won't be listening to it anymore (unless it's for commentary) and unsubscribing from the podcast - which I noted was edited to take out reference to the US Open and Paralympics stuff on tonight's show. Can't have that nonsense getting in the way of the biggestestest game in world football.

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Just about every cliche ticked off on Sportsound tonight - Scottish football needs this, this is what we've been missing, Barton is box office and all the other shite. People trying to point out there were other games and not every fan cared about this game were mocked, aside from a half-hearted defence from Tom English.

Had it after tonight. Won't be listening to it anymore (unless it's for commentary) and unsubscribing from the podcast - which I noted was edited to take out reference to the US Open and Paralympics stuff on tonight's show. Can't have that nonsense getting in the way of the biggestestest game in world football.

I caught some of that in the car and wound up furious.

I actually thought English was doing his best, but in the face of the cretin that is Jackson alongside a dick of a host, he was fighting a losing battle.

This idea that it's somehow attractive for each club to get very slightly more money while two get way, way more, is so ingrained in the mindset of a Jackson, that he genuinely fails to recognise or understand a counter argument.  

He was banging on about the delight when clubs brought home a TV cheque that would perhaps be a bit smaller without the OF.  He declines to mention that it was rather nicer for teams like Kilmarnock, St Mirren, ICT, St Johnstone and Ross County to take home trophies - the actual point.

Bloody awful stuff tonight.

I caught some of that in the car and wound up furious.

I actually thought English was doing his best, but in the face of the cretin that is Jackson alongside a dick of a host, he was fighting a losing battle.

This idea that it's somehow attractive for each club to get very slightly more money while two get way, way more, is so ingrained in the mindset of a Jackson, that he genuinely fails to recognise or understand a counter argument.  

He was banging on about the delight when clubs brought home a TV cheque that would perhaps be a bit smaller without the OF.  He declines to mention that it was rather nicer for teams like Kilmarnock, St Mirren, ICT, St Johnstone and Ross County to take home trophies - the actual point.

Bloody awful stuff tonight.

In fairness, the blue bigots hadn't quite died when we won the League Cup, but it did fùck up their mates' apparently nailed-on treble, according to that wee ginger twat.

Which was nice.

1 minute ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

In fairness, the blue bigots hadn't quite died when we won the League Cup, but it did fùck up their mates' apparently nailed-on treble, according to that wee ginger twat.

Which was nice.

No, but they'd entered admin and were no longer the giant they'd been.  

The duopoly was in the process of being broken apart, to the benefit of everyone else, and to the horror of p***ks like Jackson.