Sportsound Watch

Yep. Seething.

Tom English getting shouted down was horrendous.

He must have said 'the fans' about 30 times with the only response being 'ah but the chairmen like the tv cheque'

Listen to what he's saying ffs.

Jack sons 'if I'm an Aberdeen fan I'm watching this game to see how rivals at the top of the league get on' well that makes it no different to hearts game on Saturday Keith.

Keith Jackson is an abortion of a journalist. 

I watched one of those Daily Record video clips with him and some other guy, you could hear his two brain cells clattering together trying to make it sound like he knew anything about anything other than The Rangers or Celtic. A brief couple of words on Andy Murray/The Open/The 40 other Scottish football league clubs....and back to the bigot brothers. 

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Just about every cliche ticked off on Sportsound tonight - Scottish football needs this, this is what we've been missing, Barton is box office and all the other shite. People trying to point out there were other games and not every fan cared about this game were mocked, aside from a half-hearted defence from Tom English.

Had it after tonight. Won't be listening to it anymore (unless it's for commentary) and unsubscribing from the podcast - which I noted was edited to take out reference to the US Open and Paralympics stuff on tonight's show. Can't have that nonsense getting in the way of the biggestestest game in world football.

This had me pretty raging. They actually asked the guys in the studio to name the other 5 games in the Premiership at the weekend and they couldn't. One of them (Jackson I think) even made a joke about not knowing what they were.

Edited by DA Baracus

There are a few weeks in Scottish Football where producing 5 solid hours of interesting, informative radio between Monday and Friday is possible.

And there's other weeks when it's not.

On those weeks they should just hand the MW frequency over to Brian Burnett at 7:00pm rather than trying to force a "discussion" about nothing

Focusing exclusively on the old firm game just exacerbates the situation further.

Sure it's a big game but no game is that big. Trying to make 5 hours worth of build up out of the world cup final worth listening too would be bad enough.

There's only so many ways of phrasing

"Celtic will probably win but they might not and there's another three to come anyway"

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

This had me pretty raging. They actually asked the guys in the studio to name the other 5 games in the Premiership at the weekend and they couldn't. One of them (Jackson I think) even made a joke about not knowing what they were.

Jackson claimed he did - so the obvious thing would have been to ask him to name them. Which, of course, didn't happen.

The nonsense about "It's the only thing people are talking about" is a self-fulfilling prophecy - it's the only thing on Sportsound because it's the only thing they've chosen to talk about. It's such an important game that Sky has decided to show the Manchester derby at the same time.

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Jackson claimed he did - so the obvious thing would have been to ask him to name them. Which, of course, didn't happen.

The nonsense about "It's the only thing people are talking about" is a self-fulfilling prophecy - it's the only thing on Sportsound because it's the only thing they've chosen to talk about. It's such an important game that Sky has decided to show the Manchester derby at the same time.

I asked myself many times what were sky thinking having 2 massive games up against each other. If you look at the following week they didn't have much choice.

Both Celtic and Man C play Tuesday so that rules out either game being Sunday.

After an international fixture list you won't get a Friday night game and I doubt either fixture is suitable for a Friday night anyway.

Sky don't have the Saturday evening KO so you basically had to play the 2 games off against each other.

Edited by Gaz FFC

21 minutes ago, Rugster said:

We knew this was going to happen. That's why the last four years have on the whole been the most enjoyable time in Scottish Football.

The game's up the poley again now though.

Given crowds actually went up during "armageddon" and the media made very little of this. I'm actually hoping crowds drop now and bloody the nose of those who say "we need the Old firm"

Other than the couple of foreign ex-players being presented as conclusive proof of a worldwide appeal, the vomit inducing pish from Jackson about about where Aberdeen fans will be this weekend and the death of rangers causing global warming, I thought it was ok.

Spiers in particular was honest enough to say that the filth (which he deplores) is the red meat that he and his colleagues live off.  Also, that there is enough of a spectacle and a rivalry to have a brilliant, thrilling derby game without all the shite. Which begs the question, why tolerate and encourage the shite as both clubs, the SPFL/SFA and the media do? 

Given crowds actually went up during "armageddon" and the media made very little of this. I'm actually hoping crowds drop now and bloody the nose of those who say "we need the Old firm"

They'd just make up figures to claim attendances are up.

It's the biggest game for Celtic and Rangers fans and it's a big game in Scottish football.  It isn't a significant game in terms of British football or Sky or worldwide, really.  In terms of it's international significance I'd compare it to Benfica v Sporting or something like that.

If it's such a global draw the SPFL is doing a pretty poor job of selling it - given they only get a few million £ for global Premiership TV rights and that's been fairly consistent for years, even during 4yrs without any OF derby.

Edited by HibeeJibee

How much, if anything do Rangers get fined each week for not speaking to the BBC.

if the other clubs (All 40 of them) had any guts they should wait until say 15 minutes into the early kick off and then 1 by 1 tweet that due to the lack of respect or coverage given to the other games this week they will not be cooperating with the BBC and providing any after match interviews or passes for open all mics this weekend.

The embarrassment for Sportsound come 2.55 when they probably plan to start talking about the other games would be superb.