Sportsound Watch

On 11/12/2016 at 13:12, deej said:

This really pisses me off. Someone said it last week when hibs played at tannadice, according to them because there was 11000 at the game, and hibs have sold a lot of season tickets, neither of them should be in the championship. 

Never mind the fact this is hibs 3rd attempt at coming back up, and utd were so utterly shit last year they finished comfortably bottom.

You'd have to go back to 1988 to find a bigger crowd at a Dundee Utd v Hibs game: it was being in a different league which made it such an appealing match. 

Whilst in the Premiership/Premierleague/Premier League/Premier Division the matchup has very rarely broke 10,000 people for basically 35 years. 

It's actually a pretty convincing argument that being in a different league can be good for clubs and that winning games and doing well in a lesser league is more fun for supporters than trudging along 50 points behind a Glasgow side which has a budget 20 times bigger. 

You'd have to go back to 1988 to find a bigger crowd at a Dundee Utd v Hibs game: it was being in a different league which made it such an appealing match. 
Whilst in the Premiership/Premierleague/Premier League/Premier Division the matchup has very rarely broke 10,000 people for basically 35 years. 
It's actually a pretty convincing argument that being in a different league can be good for clubs and that winning games and doing well in a lesser league is more fun for supporters than trudging along 50 points behind a Glasgow side which has a budget 20 times bigger. 

Outstanding post.

It's not the first time football fans have preferred being out of the top league.

That really should be teaching those that run our game an important lesson.

Yep, its human nature for people to go along to games if their team is doing well and competing for league championships, top division or not. When we were in the 1st division in 2009/2010, we got some great crowds.

Nah, not having that. This hasn't been fun at all watching us struggle to break down sides like Dumbarton and Alloa. I've hated ever single minute of it bar beating rangers and hearts in the league. Quicker we are out this league the better.

4 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

Our season in  the Championship was a very enjoyable season, great to go to different grounds and different towns.

Some teams don't enjoy it so much, especially when they realise they belong there.

I think the point is that it's the opportunity of promotion which leads to the excitement, not the lure of the tier 2 title's silverware.

It may be novel or interesting for the first year or two, but I refuse to think any club would have a majority of fans who'd prefer to play in the Championship versus the Premiership.

I enjoyed the first division much more than I enjoy the drudgery of the top flight. Ignoring the fact that we won more, the first division/championship is the most exciting league in Scotland.

It's a weird one. Obviously in normal years most of the teams in the Championship are pretty evenly matched so the competition is pretty cut throat. Added to that, winning games is clearly more fun than losing them. My experience of our forays into the top flight is mostly (but not entirely) of desperately hanging onto the odd win, being happy enough with a 0-0 versus some bottom 6 shite, or getting pumped in front of blue or green neanderthals.

But I still love the extra challenge and thrill of getting it right up the, shall we say, more traditionally established, top flight clubs.

So a post Xmas push for title glory from Housties' Heroes will be just splendid thanks.

Apart from the fact we are a top flight club. Certainly bigger than no marks like Dundee and heart of Midlothian.

Might be bigger, but clearly also shiter as you are most definitely not a top flight club.