Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

I agree that those on the radio should be getting it right as it's their fucking job but still - it's so far down the pecking order of things that are important.

Professional journalists should know the league is the SPFL and the top division is the Premiership. It's not hard - and it has been for 4yrs.

It's symbolic of wider amateurishness, poor standards and "who gives".

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

It's not laziness.

It's about football fans who follow the game and their team in great detail using something so insignificant to prove that they are in some way superior (or that others are inferior).

I agree that those on the radio should be getting it right as it's their fucking job but still - it's so far down the pecking order of things that are important.

On these boards people pick up on it regularly and it's fairly tedious.

It's nice to have you on the forum, Mr. Houston.

Professional journalists should know the league is the SPFL and the top division is the Premiership. It's not hard - and it has been for 4yrs.

It's symbolic of wider amateurishness, poor standards and "who gives".

I agree, if it's their job. I just think some people put too much importance on it. It's pedantry.

pandarilla has a thing for defending thick ex-professionals and journalists who can't do their job properly and I'm really not sure why, unless it's one of those kind of things where he must have a controversial opinion about something.

These people are getting paid to talk about football and don't even know the name of the league they're talking about. I'm assuming you'd be totally fine if they just started getting team and player names wrong as well? It's "not their job" to get such trivial things right, after all.

23 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I agree, if it's their job. I just think some people put too much importance on it. It's pedantry.

Nobody has mentioned how far up or down the pecking order it is or how important it is. If people are going to continuously be thick as f**k and keep getting it wrong then they're going to continuously get called out on it.

pandarilla has a thing for defending thick ex-professionals and journalists who can't do their job properly and I'm really not sure why, unless it's one of those kind of things where he must have a controversial opinion about something.
These people are getting paid to talk about football and don't even know the name of the league they're talking about. I'm assuming you'd be totally fine if they just started getting team and player names wrong as well? It's "not their job" to get such trivial things right, after all.

It's not laziness.

It's about football fans who follow the game and their team in great detail using something so insignificant to prove that they are in some way superior (or that others are inferior).

Maybe struggling to follow the discussion properly 'nightmare'.

My issue is two-fold. Firstly, I find the corporate re-branding embarrassing. Maybe it's an age thing, but when the name of the leagues change so regularly it's easy to stop giving a f**k about such trivial details. Sometimes it's copying the English model, sometimes not.

Secondly, some folk on here pick up on this detail at every point - and often to demean other posters. It's pedantry.

I probably did similar when I was younger when discussing football with my dad. He would get players names wrong or whatever but invariably his actual football opinion was bang on. Writing people off for such minor errors is pretty immature.

'So regularly' is stretching it.

Anyone under the age of 50 will only have been aware of 2 changes: from SFL + Premier Division to SPL in 1998, and from that to SPFL + Premiership in 2013.

So between 1997 and 2014 it had 3 different names? I think that's fairly regular.

29 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Maybe struggling to follow the discussion properly 'nightmare'.

My issue is two-fold. Firstly, I find the corporate re-branding embarrassing. Maybe it's an age thing, but when the name of the leagues change so regularly it's easy to stop giving a f**k about such trivial details. Sometimes it's copying the English model, sometimes not.

Secondly, some folk on here pick up on this detail at every point - and often to demean other posters. It's pedantry.

I probably did similar when I was younger when discussing football with my dad. He would get players names wrong or whatever but invariably his actual football opinion was bang on. Writing people off for such minor errors is pretty immature.

I'm not struggling to follow anything, 'pandarilla'.

I get that you think it's pedantry, but at the same time, based on the regular reaction in this thread, clearly many people don't, and would like a higher level of understanding and competence from those who are being paid to talk about Scottish football. Especially when we have f**k all in the way of alternative if we want to listen to coverage about our game. In my job, if I started pronouncing the names or products or systems incorrectly, I'd expect to be pulled up for it, even if it was trivial and the person knew what I was talking about. It's just a basic level of competence that many of us expect to be adhered to.

If you think that's an immature way of looking at things, then cool. Each to their own, and if your own enjoyment is listening to Chick Young then fair more power to you.

4 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It's not laziness.

People who are paid to talk or write about Scottish football and can't put in the effort to know the difference between the SPFL & the Premiership are also quite tedious. If it's fans doing, can't say I care. Even after years I still find myself having to explain "the Championship. No, it used to be called the First Division, it's the second tier, below the Premiership" to some folk, so if people can't keep up with that, fine.

Except when it's your job to know what the f**k you're talking about, in which case it's inexcusable laziness and shows the usual contempt for everything Scottish football that isn't the Old Firm or the pishy national side.

2 minutes ago, forkboy said:

People who are paid to talk or write about Scottish football and can't put in the effort to know the difference between the SPFL & the Premiership are also quite tedious. If it's fans doing, can't say I care. Even after years I still find myself having to explain "the Championship. No, it used to be called the First Division, it's the second tier, below the Premiership" to some folk, so if people can't keep up with that, fine.

Except when it's your job to know what the f**k you're talking about, in which case it's inexcusable laziness and shows the usual contempt for everything Scottish football that isn't the Old Firm or the pishy national side.

I'd rather they learned how to use the English language first before moving on to the complexities of the Scottish league naming system.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

I get that you think it's pedantry, but at the same time, based on the regular reaction in this thread, clearly many people don't, and would like a higher level of understanding and competence from those who are being paid to talk about Scottish football. Especially when we have f**k all in the way of alternative if we want to listen to coverage about our game. In my job, if I started pronouncing the names or products or systems incorrectly, I'd expect to be pulled up for it, even if it was trivial and the person knew what I was talking about. It's just a basic level of competence that many of us expect to be adhered to.

If you think that's an immature way of looking at things, then cool. Each to their own, and if your own enjoyment is listening to Chick Young then fair more power to you.

1 hour ago, forkboy said:

Could not agree more with the bits in bold. 

Pathetic again tonight, beyond ridiculous.

Let's talk for half a programme about what England think of Scottish Football, Rodgers and Celtic.

What is it with the medias obsession with what the English think of the game in Scotland? I doubt most of them have ever given it much thought, apart from the occasional OF game, and who cares what they think of it anyway?

What is it with the medias obsession with what the English think of the game in Scotland? I doubt most of them have ever given it much thought, apart from the occasional OF game, and who cares what they think of it anyway?

Because the people running our game are more concerned with how much sky will pay for 4 OF games than getting people here to attend matches across the whole country.