Sportsound Watch

1 hour ago, David W said:

The two at the ICT v Hamilton game (paid to commentate on football) didn't know you can now get a free-kick for offside in the offending team's own half. I'd like to say I'm surprised but Liam McLeod and Barry Wilson are both idiots.

To be fair, that's a ridiculous change to the rules. You can have someone in an offside position in the opponent's half, chasing the ball back into his own defence (maybe the wind blew it!) and the foul is given where he eventually attempts to play the ball.  You might end up giving away an indirect free kick in your own box.

Or have I misunderstood?

21 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Agreed. Whenever they speak about it they also do so very well and they all come across very well on the subject.

Kenny Macintyre did add at the end that tomorrow Morton play Falkirk in the playoffs

Totally agree with both parts of this post.

I caught the last half hour of tonight's programme and thought the topic was handled well.  I thought Chris Mitchell might have been mentioned given the Clyde connection with Barry Ferguson there and the fact that the first anniversary of his death was yesterday.

The bit at the end about the play-off was ridiculous though.  It wasn't just a slip of the tongue either.  He really believes the tie features Falkirk, and none of those present put him right when he went on about what Duffy and Houston had achieved respectively.

Really poor stuff, straight after a decent, sensitive segment.

Just listened to Saturday evening "off the ball".

Some pundit gave Arbroath the team of the day. Fair enough they won the league, however his explanation was that "they started the day in second place and with a good win today they managed to go top and win the league".

Neither of those stats are true.

Still bitter:shutup

Edited by SlipperyP

18 hours ago, David W said:

The two at the ICT v Hamilton game (paid to commentate on football) didn't know you can now get a free-kick for offside in the offending team's own half. I'd like to say I'm surprised but Liam McLeod and Barry Wilson are both idiots.

Several commentators have made that mistake throughout the season.Chick young had a particular meltdown criticising the referee at a game at Firhill. Even when listeners emailed pointing out the change in the rules he still wouldn't listen.If fans can keep up with rule changes why can't those who are paid to commentate?

1 hour ago, Stellaboz said:

I didn't know this. Are you saying you can be offside in your own half?

No - is the rule not now that the free kick is taken from where the interference with play occurs?  So if I'm in the opposition half and offside but run back to challenge somebody in my own half then it's offside and a free kick where I went for the ball.

3 hours ago, The Minertaur said:

No - is the rule not now that the free kick is taken from where the interference with play occurs?  So if I'm in the opposition half and offside but run back to challenge somebody in my own half then it's offside and a free kick where I went for the ball.

From what I understand about offside this one is defined by.

You can be called for being offside, if you become involved in active play after starting from an offside position or gain an advantage by being in an offside position.

Active play is defined by:
-Making contact with the ball.
-Interfering with an opponent in possession.

From the English FA website:
"If an offside offence occurs, the referee awards an indirect free kick where the offence occurred, including if it is in the player’s own half of the field of play"

Edit: Still think it's an absolutely bonkers adjustment to the rule, how could a team possibly gain an advantage by their striker sprinting back from an offside position deep into his own half to then pick up a loose pass by one of his team mates, that an opposition player is walking after and taking them by surprise.

Edited by dburns

Nice to see Chick Young put in his place by Jim Duffy in his pre-match interview tonight.

He tried to raise the Duffy-Lennon incident, totally irrelevant to the conversation beforehand, to which Duffy retorted, "I thought you were better than that Chick"

6 hours ago, Oscar P said:

Nice to see Chick Young put in his place by Jim Duffy in his pre-match interview tonight.

He tried to raise the Duffy-Lennon incident, totally irrelevant to the conversation beforehand, to which Duffy retorted, "I thought you were better than that Chick"

6 hours ago, Randy Giles said:

Went wrong when he thought he was better than that though.

^^^This. Chick Young would never disappoint me as I've always known him to be a dribbling simpleton that I have no respect for. 

3 hours ago, sjc said:

^^^This. Chick Young would never disappoint me as I've always known him to be a dribbling simpleton that I have no respect for. 

Ooft. That's a heck of a slap in the face* for dribbling simpletons.

*Male ones only of course. 

6 hours ago, sjc said:

True story - me and my mates were in a pub in Belfast, having just travelled from Dublin where we had been for the Scotland game. In strolls the bold Chick with another guy who we thought was his son. It turns out it was his PA - yes, Chick Young has a PA :lol:

Just for a laugh, we asked for a picture with him. Chick was only too happy to oblige whilst instructing his PA to 'take a picture of those guys asking me for a picture'. Even more David Brent than Ricky Gervais.

Edited by Hammer Jag

1 hour ago, Hammer Jag said:

True story - me and my mates were in a pub in Belfast, having just travelled from Dublin where we had been for the Scotland game. In strolls the bold Chick with another guy who we thought was his son. It turns out it was his PA - yes, Chick Young has a PA :lol:

Just for a laugh, we asked for a picture with him. Chick was only too happy to oblige whilst instructing his PA to 'take a picture of those guys asking me for a picture'. Even more David Brent than Ricky Gervais.

I once had the misfortune to have to visit the A&E at Inverclyde Royal.  Obviouslyin the waiting area I was keeping my eyes on the floor, lest some other A&E visitor took offence and decided to add to my injuries.

Someone came in and sat across from me, who I could only see from the knee down, but that view was sky blue, elastic-ankled joggy bottoms that ended about 4 inches above the ankle, white sports socks to fill the gaps, and yellow moccasins.  

As it was such a car-crash I couldn't resist looking up, and it was the bold Chick, who completed the look with a plain white T shirt, gold neck chains, gold wrist chains, and a sovvy ring.  #classy.

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

How much does/did the Beeb pay him to have a PA? :unsure:

Remember he's retired, so it's probably his pension that pays for the PA.

I know it's easy to forget, given that he's on the radio even more than he used to be, but he actually retired in the summer. They had a long countdown to it and everything.

Has there been any explanation as to why he's still on the air? They mock him for it from time to time but I can't recall anyone stating why he's not 'retired' officially.

There are plenty other mediocre pundits and journos so not sure why he's on all the time.

5 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Has there been any explanation as to why he's still on the air? They mock him for it from time to time but I can't recall anyone stating why he's not 'retired' officially.

There are plenty other mediocre pundits and journos so not sure why he's on all the time.

He's better than Jum Spence.

Who is it your discussing anyway..