Sportsound Watch

17 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I know.

I suspect he's perfect for the direction those in charge wish to send the show in.

Criticising both McIntyre and his bosses is therefore valid. 

You seem to be under the impression that we're all suggesting that McIntyre is boldly and independently stamping his own editorial imprint on proceedings.  I don't think that's the case, and I don't think many others do either. 

Actually I do get the impression that some folk think he is!

28 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Actually I do get the impression that some folk think he is!

Fair enough.  I think you're misreading the overriding sentiment though.

McIntyre is clearly not having to suppress his inner journalistic Pilger, but at the same time, things were very obviously dumbing steeply down, well before he secured this role.  

He's a manifestation of something, rather than its root, and I don't see many signs that people don't get that.  Having a go at him still makes sense because he does bear significant responsibility for how crap the programme is. 

16 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.  I think you're misreading the overriding sentiment though.

McIntyre is clearly not having to suppress his inner journalistic Pilger, but at the same time, things were very obviously dumbing steeply down, well before he secured this role.  

He's a manifestation of something, rather than its root, and I don't see many signs that people don't get that.  Having a go at him still makes sense because he does bear significant responsibility for how crap the programme is. 

I'm definitely no fan of his but have little hope it would change if he was replaced.

5 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Is there anything worse than “football people” playing music?

Yes.  Graham Norton butchering Wheel of Fortune.  f**k goes one of my childhood memories. 

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm definitely no fan of his but have little hope it would change if he was replaced.

And for that reason he won't be replaced.  The producers will be loving how the show is going. 

At Least Jane Lewis seems to be on it less. 

9 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

I'm surprised there isn't reporters sent to the OF training grounds, you know to report if the caretaker has a new boilersuit or reporting on the delivery of a new tractor.

8 hours ago, ropy said:

They did a quick 15 minutes of round the grounds and the team lines then got on to their priorities.

7 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And already we're off how good the Championship is so that Michael Stewart can moan about Hampden.

In all seriousness Rangers are playing 2 friendlies next week: versus Hertha Berlin at 3pm on Saturday - "live from Spain on Rangers TV" seemingly; and then versus FC Copenhagen at Ibrox on Tuesday night. (Incidentally - what is the point of having a winter break here if teams fill half of it with friendlies? but that's for another thread). It'll be interesting to see if these get ignored... or find a place in the radio coverage - given discussing "the penalty that wasn't that never was" will be another week older by then, but properly covering the lower-levels seems beneath them.

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

In all seriousness Rangers are playing 2 friendlies next week: versus Hertha Berlin at 3pm on Saturday - "live from Spain on Rangers TV" seemingly; and then versus FC Copenhagen at Ibrox on Tuesday night. (Incidentally - what is the point of having a winter break here if teams fill half of it with friendlies? but that's for another thread). It'll be interesting to see if these get ignored... or find a place in the radio coverage - given discussing "the penalty that wasn't that never was" will be another week older by then, but properly covering the lower-levels seems beneath them.

Will they be using VAR and have the officials been vetted by the Ibrox boardroom for suitability?

Since Richard Gordon left, they stopped giving score updates live on the show or on twitter. You only get a roundup every so often. It's no longer a national football show. Gordon would chip in with information about goals scored for teams around the leagues and was very knowledgeable. It's now all about hearing opinions and trying to create talking points about Rangers and Celtic, or how shite the rest of the teams are. It's not enjoyable. 

Todays focus on the championship meant I listened to the first 15 minutes in the car on the way to the game and actually went in 25 min early because I wasn't listening to the VAR chat. Crighton and English actually sounded like they couldn't be arsed. 

6 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

The show is on until 7pm tonight is it not? Have they genuinely decided that since they can't spend an hour talking about the OF that they'll just play music and picking celebrity picks? 3rd song in a row we've had...

It was a new year special compilation of the best Sportsound guest music picks of 2023.

TBH there were a couple of decent tunes, it was infinitely better listening than the first hour.

There's always been reasons to moan about it, but it is noticeably worse now than it has been in recent years.

Conroy made a point yesterday about referees' safety in the wake of Rangers singling out Willie Collum. It was probably a fair point, but - for yet another weekend - they spent over half an hour discussing one decision making a far bigger deal out of it than they need to. 

I he as to laugh at the irony of Kenny McLaughlin.

I’m paraphrasing, but at 2.59, just before they went to live commentary, he said “and it’s great well not be talking about VAR today”, as it was Championship football.

He’s the one who absolutely loves revelling in the controversies of VAR.

He’s a tabloid journalist who’s in the position of presenting a national radio programme. 

The fact his favourite team have been bitching like a pathetic 5 year old prom queen all week, making an absolute tit of themselves, just makes it all the juicier for him.

12 hours ago, Hoose Rice said:

And for that reason he won't be replaced.  The producers will be loving how the show is going. 

At Least Jane Lewis seems to be on it less. 

Joey Barton ^

Agree that the half hour furious tugging over VAR problems yesterday when there was a great day of Championship football ahead was galling to say the least.

Would have been better to have had a detailed look at the Championship title race and to hear from the different managers and personalities involved.

It's sad to hear how much Sportsound has degenrated. It's an Old Firm fanzine these days.