Sportsound Watch

1 minute ago, MarkoRaj said:

Ok put it another way, I don't think the tax payer should be paying the wages of a professional Aberdeen fan that can't be arsed doing the slightest bit of research

He did. He understood he is a Canadian international who has recently signed for Aberdeen.

In terms of Miller's job, there's really not much else to do. His job is then to report on his performance.

Who gives a f**k about his time at Vancouver or Reading?

If  was an Aberdeen legend employed by the state broadcaster to talk about Aberdeen on the radio every weekend while attending Aberdeen matches and Aberdeen signed a player several days before their next match I would simply do some research and find out who he is rather than rolling up on the day of the game and say we've signed a player with over 160 Premier League appearances, over 460 professional appearances and 60-odd caps and say I don't know who he is.

But then I have a modicum of shame and intelligence about me, so I can see the problem.

35 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

He's played in the Premier League, the Championship and the World Cup. If you haven't come across him at some point then you don't watch enough football to get paid for your opinions on it

I realise the conversation's moved on a bit and you've made concessions, but for every minute a Scottish pundit spends watching English football it's one they're not spending on the actual leagues they're supposed to cover. You sometimes get the feeling that some of them are watching Bolton vs Hull or whatever on a Friday night rather than Raith vs Dundee United.

In this instance he should have done some research on the player, but to say he should know of his abilities by process of osmosis from hours spent watching English football is nonsense.

12 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I realise the conversation's moved on a bit and you've made concessions, but for every minute a Scottish pundit spends watching English football it's one they're not spending on the actual leagues they're supposed to cover. You sometimes get the feeling that some of them are watching Bolton vs Hull or whatever on a Friday night rather than Raith vs Dundee United.

In this instance he should have done some research on the player, but to say he should know of his abilities by process of osmosis from hours spent watching English football is nonsense.

Willie Miller is more likely to be watching Come Dine With me than Raith v Utd. He comes across as hating the job he’s paid to do. 

2 hours ago, MarkoRaj said:

Ok put it another way, I don't think the tax payer should be paying the wages of a professional Aberdeen fan that can't be arsed doing the slightest bit of research

Tax payer? 

2 hours ago, Rugster said:

Willie Miller is more likely to be watching Come Dine With me than Raith v Utd. He comes across as hating the job he’s paid to do. 

Well he is being forced to watch Aberdeen. 

4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

He's being paid to comment on the game in front of him. Once he'd heard Hoilett had signed and was likely to play, a glance at Wikipedia would've stopped him sounding like an ill-informed buffoon.

38 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

He's being paid to comment on the game in front of him. Once he'd heard Hoilett had signed and was likely to play, a glance at Wikipedia would've stopped him sounding like an ill-informed buffoon.

I completely agree. I wasn't defending Miller, just rubbishing the idea he should be expected to have already heard of someone who's never kicked a ball in Scotland, and that the fact he hadn't should somehow exclude him from his duties.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Eminent scientists funded by large hadron collider finances would struggle with such a mission. 

10 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

It was quite good to hear English taking Kenny to task for being a giddy wee lassie about Neil Warnock. His "so what?" response to SKY SPORTS ATTENDING THE PRESS CONFERENCE was good.

Tom English is far from perfect, but I think he subtly brought some good points up yesterday about the direction of the show. He expressed confusion and borderline dismay at McIntyre's excitement at someone coming on to "have a pop". Quite right to express contempt for this as part of BBC Scotland's main Scottish football output. It was utterly risible in tone, and fair play to him and Michael Stewart for trying to bring the conversation with the Aberdeen fan round to football, rather than the sensationist shite that whole segment was.

And he's right about the Warnock fuss. I think Warnock's a good coach and I don't think Aberdeen hiring him is a terrible idea if it's just till the summer. While it wouldn't be my choice for my club, I can see a rationale there. But the fawning is daft. He's not Guardiola, he's not doing us all some massive favour by being here, and his wee quips generally aren't as funny as the media make out. The BBC Scotland interviewer at Pittodrie yesterday had a noticeably different tone with the two coaches. They're all dying for Warnock's approval when they talk to him, and I think it's right that someone points out how stupid they're all being.

Agreed.  The fawning sycophancy is grating. 

It's almost as bad as when Joey Barton signed for Sevco, you'd have thought they'd signed Iniesta or someone.  Half expected the Scottish media corps to meet him at the border and carry him to Glasgow shoulder-high themselves chanting about their own unworthiness to be in his presence and demanding all the peasants encountered en route bow down trembling before this guy who got one sub apperance in a friendly for England and won the Chamionship with Newcastle once.  Cringeworthy stuff.

Edit:  And I don't dislike or particularly care about Warnock, either.  Good luck to him, it wouldn't affect me either way if he turns Aberdeen around or doesn't.  But this servile nonsense about how lucky we are to be graced with his mere presence in our humble and obscure nation can get in the bin. 

Edited by A Diamond For Me

11 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I'm no particular fan of Willie Miller, but I don't see the crime here.

Hoilett was played for Blackburn, QPR, Cardiff, and Reading, as well as MLS and with small clubs in Germany. There will be literally hundreds of players of that profile that none of us on here will be able to say more than "Don't know much about him but he's a ___ international". Don't really see the issue.

Does anyone one here genuinely "know much" abut him?

staring dwayne johnson GIF

Whether you regard St Pauli as diddies or not seems to be missing the point. Which is that Willie Miller has a phone that he can spend 30 seconds googling a players name if he doesn't recognise you & would then be able to at least bluff you into thinking he knows a little of what's talking about. He can't even be arsed to do that.

I don't need the guys on the radio to know everything about every new signing but the bare minimum of effort for a job you're getting paid to do isn't actually asking all that much. He doesn't have to do this. I'm sure there's someone at NorthSound or the like (or more likely with Radio Scotland some barely sentient ex-pro) who'd grasp the chance to cover Aberdeen games with both hands.

18 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Whether you regard St Pauli as diddies or not seems to be missing the point. Which is that Willie Miller has a phone that he can spend 30 seconds googling a players name if he doesn't recognise you & would then be able to at least bluff you into thinking he knows a little of what's talking about. He can't even be arsed to do that.

I don't need the guys on the radio to know everything about every new signing but the bare minimum of effort for a job you're getting paid to do isn't actually asking all that much. He doesn't have to do this. I'm sure there's someone at NorthSound or the like (or more likely with Radio Scotland some barely sentient ex-pro) who'd grasp the chance to cover Aberdeen games with both hands.

A club who's highest league title is Bundesliga Nord 2 and is only famous for a brown kit and politics is by definition diddie