Sportsound Watch

On 17/08/2024 at 17:43, Mark Connolly said:

He's been doing that for ages, and it's not just the 6 yard box. He also talks about "the 18", and how the match time has now reached "the 23rd".

I might be in the minority who actually quite enjoy his commentary, but that stuff is utterly infuriating

It'll be another Americanism the BBC wannabe hipsters have latched on to. Some of them on Radio 4 Extra have started saying the time as 'It's 10' 'that's at 4' because o'clock is obviously so last century. They're verbal versions of dropping the £ sign from pretentious scoffing houses.

11 minutes ago, Charles Stiles said:

It'll be another Americanism the BBC wannabe hipsters have latched on to. Some of them on Radio 4 Extra have started saying the time as 'It's 10' 'that's at 4' because o'clock is obviously so last century. They're verbal versions of dropping the £ sign from pretentious scoffing houses.

Oh come on...if someone asks you the time do you always say ** o'clock?  It's not an Americanism in the same way as saying "o'clock" instead of "of the clock" isn't an Americanism.

On 17/08/2024 at 17:43, Mark Connolly said:

He's been doing that for ages, and it's not just the 6 yard box. He also talks about "the 18", and how the match time has now reached "the 23rd".

I might be in the minority who actually quite enjoy his commentary, but that stuff is utterly infuriating

He's an appalling screaming man-child of a commentator. 

1 minute ago, kennie makevin said:

I think he's good, and always remembers he's commentating on the radio for people that can't see what is happening, unlike others.

28 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

Especially when Sellic get a throw in 10 yards from their own goal line, he makes it sound like they're about to score a tap in.*

*Yes, yes, I know he's an Aberdeen fan.

On 17/08/2024 at 17:26, Ludo*1 said:

Have they just completely got rid of OAM? That's shite.

I remember back in the day (ok about 10 years ago) if there were only league cup games or no premiership games they would drop down into the championship or any interesting games in league 1 (they even went to Elgin City for an OAM.).

What would have been wrong with having the 4 league cup 3 o'clock games, Ayr v Hamilton and maybe Queen of the South v Annan (a local derby with a few large talking points).

Also, were the first two weekends of the league OAM or was that only picked commentary?

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

I think he's good, and always remembers he's commentating on the radio for people that can't see what is happening, unlike others.

Rob MacLean is infuriating for this. He completes a thought/piece of commentary about 10 seconds after its happened.

"it comes in to the box...." ... lots of crowd noise later "that was put in by..." 

Someone should tell him.

42 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Liam McLeod is generally fine. I’ve no idea why he gets so much hate. Suspect a lot just don’t like his accent which is entirely their problem. 

His accent is by some distance the most likeable aspect of his commentaries. It's the hysterical screaming, the inability to specify whether it's minutes, feet, inches or yards he's referring to when he randomly yelps numbers throughout a game and the insistence on calling Celtic 'The Champions', as if it's their actual name that mark him out as "a wrong un". Their are many more reasons to diss him I'm sure but suffice to say he ain't no David Francey.

4 minutes ago, kennie makevin said:

His accent is by some distance the most likeable aspect of his commentaries. It's the hysterical screaming, the inability to specify whether it's minutes, feet, inches or yards he's referring to when he randomly yelps numbers throughout a game and the insistence on calling Celtic 'The Champions', as if it's their actual name that mark him out as "a wrong un". Their are many more reasons to diss him I'm sure but suffice to say he ain't no David Francey.

I’m still putting money on this being entirely your problem 

Can't stand McLeod. The voice, the delivery, the stream of 'facts', the encyclopedic knowledge of every game the bigots played so he can keep slipping in superfluous mentions of them in matches between diddies. There seems to be a new lot of decent comms guys coming through the BBC so there's no excuse for them still having him as the main commentator. Well, apart from his numerous bigot mentions of course.

McLeod's commentary is contrived, a bit like Crocker on Sky you can tell that he is hamming up a prepared line when there's a goal scored rather than there being any genuine feeling or excitement in it. The only exceptions have been a couple of Scotland ones - notably his radio comms for the penalty win over Serbia (where it was still scripted but delivered with real passion) and the win in Norway.

31 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

McLeod's commentary is contrived, a bit like Crocker on Sky you can tell that he is hamming up a prepared line when there's a goal scored rather than there being any genuine feeling or excitement in it. The only exceptions have been a couple of Scotland ones - notably his radio comms for the penalty win over Serbia (where it was still scripted but delivered with real passion) and the win in Norway.

That doesn’t make him a bad commentator. It takes an exceptionally good one to consistently be able to be passionate and articulate in the moment of a live broadcast. 

Plenty of bad ones that have nothing prepared and simply bumble their way through significant moments. 

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'd say sounding fake as f**k every time a goal goes in does make you a bad commentator.

I get the opinion Aberdonians would defend Jack the Ripper if he was from Aberdeen.

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'd say sounding fake as f**k every time a goal goes in does make you a bad commentator.

We’ll agree to disagree as I don’t think he does. Of all the shite on sportsound I really don’t see the issue with him. But if you think pre written lines are unique to Liam McLeod then I suspect you’re mistaken.

3 hours ago, Rugster said:

I get the opinion Aberdonians would defend Jack the Ripper if he was from Aberdeen.

Ask me about Ryan jack. 

Edited by Dons_1988