Sportsound Watch

I see Clyde are getting absolutely pumped. Funnily enough, they're suddenly not being referred to as Barry Ferguson's Clyde today. 

Underachieving though because of the players they've got... well according to pundits who've never watched a minute of L2 football in their puff. Their players are shite. As is Ferguson by the way.

10 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Derek Ferguson claiming that Docherty of Ayr, who just got sent off for an apparently dreadful tackle, nearly decapitated the Dumbarton player he committed the foul against (Andy Stirling).

Even his colleagues mocked him.

I thought this was pretty funny I really enjoy Open All Mics Im a taxi driver so tune in most Saturdays when out and about. Derek Ferguson is enthusiastic and knows his stuff he's good though his vocabulary ain't great but he is entertaining. I really like Tam McManus i think he is without doubt the most knowledgeable guy on that show always gives an interesting insight and is very witty with it. He's breathed new life into that show among the status quo of Miller Young etc

14 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

Well yes, clearly 50/50 is better than 25/75. But you are presenting a strawman argument - the original statement was that the playoffs "favour" the top flight. My point is they don't

It's not a straw man argument at all.

I'd have thought comparing that play-off to the others that operate to govern promotion/relegation between SPFL divisions was pretty valid.

As such, the top flight team is certainly favoured over any given Championship side in the play-offs.  The Premier League team is already in the final.  That alone favours them over any other given team involved in such play-offs.

Your argument that the team that automatically qualifies for the final of a knockout tournament isn't favoured, is pretty bonkers.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

It's not a straw man argument at all.

I'd have thought comparing that play-off to the others that operate to govern promotion/relegation between SPFL divisions was pretty valid.

As such, the top flight team is certainly favoured over any given Championship side in the play-offs.  The Premier League team is already in the final.  That alone favours them over any other given team involved in such play-offs.

Your argument that the team that automatically qualifies for the final of a knockout tournament isn't favoured, is pretty bonkers.

It's hardly bonkers. There will be a championship team in the final therefore it's no different than a straight 11th vs 2nd from a premiership point of view.

The championship sides I'm sure could petition to change the current format to a straight 11th vs 2nd game if they don't want "any given championship side" to have less chance than the Premiership club.

If anything it favours the championship sides. Three of the fuckers get a chance to go up through the play offs.

It favours The Championship clubs in that they can now fool their fans into accepting that 4th place is now some wonderful achievement.

The Premiership clubs have been doing this for a few years now with their 'Top 6' nonsense.

15 hours ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

This was genuinely funny. The 'banter' on Open All Mics can be painful but Ferguson's lack of awareness of what he had said coupled with Richard Gordon trying to help him by explaining what decapitation is just for Ferguson to ignore it and continue rambling on and the laughter in the background from the other reporters was very funny.

I like Derek Ferguson he is more knowledgeable and enthusiastic  about the lower leagues than most of the folk on Radio Scotland but if he is at the game of the team you follow the time between  him shouting 'Goal' then excitedly describing what had happened in completely neutral terms that makes it impossible to work out who has scored before finally getting round to saying which team has scored can be excruciating. I work Saturdays so this is a regular occurrence for me.

I actually like Derek's naivety, he must be the only one who regularly attends lots of diddy and 20's and under games, it's quite refreshing as he genuinely doesn't always talk about the Old Firm, the others appear to have copied his excitement when goals go in.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

If anything it favours the championship sides. Three of the fuckers get a chance to go up through the play offs.

A separate argument and one I have sympathy with.  

Despite the fact that my team have benefited, there is something questionable about fourth in a league of ten (essentially mid table) getting a shot at promotion.

That does not impact however on the argument that the side in the higher division is uniquely advantaged in the top flight play-off, in a way it's not in those for the middle two divisions. 

People attempting to argue otherwise don't have a case which is why they're trying to shift the discussion.

2 hours ago, nelsjfc said:

It's hardly bonkers. There will be a championship team in the final therefore it's no different than a straight 11th vs 2nd from a premiership point of view.

The championship sides I'm sure could petition to change the current format to a straight 11th vs 2nd game if they don't want "any given championship side" to have less chance than the Premiership club.

Why are you comparing it to second bottom Vs second top when that's not what exists between the other SPFL divisions?

As I said, bonkers.

Doesn't the Premiership team have a full week to prepare while the winner of the Championship play-off semi final has played (usually) a high intensity game in the midweek (and if it's the team who finished 3rd/4th they'll have had to play weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek)? Doesn't the Premiership team always get the second leg at their home ground? 

56 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

the others appear to have copied his excitement when goals go in.

That's just the latest trend. All goal descriptions have to be OTT so they sound good in promotional soundbites. Hearing radio journos who for years have reported normally suddenly making every goal sound like a world cup winner is toe curling stuff. It's unlistenable to when they string a few together.

Just now, 7-2 said:

That's just the latest trend. All goal descriptions have to be OTT so they sound good in promotional soundbites. Hearing radio journos who for years have reported normally suddenly making every goal sound like a world cup winner is toe curling stuff. It's unlistenable to when they string a few together.

That's why I don't mind Ferguson's, his appear genuine.

59 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Doesn't the Premiership team have a full week to prepare while the winner of the Championship play-off semi final has played (usually) a high intensity game in the midweek (and if it's the team who finished 3rd/4th they'll have had to play weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek)? Doesn't the Premiership team always get the second leg at their home ground? 

Yes, the order of home and away is another example of it.

It makes some sense in the Championship that the higher placed side at each stage plays at home in the second leg - it's a reward of sorts.

For that to be the set way it works in the final though, is a clear favouring.

I'm sort of pathetically grateful for the fact that there's been movement from one up; one down at all.  However, there's no doubt that the current set up still favours the existing top flight side.

It's just a pecking order, the top flight team is favoured over the Championship teams, the 2nd place team is favoured over the third and fourth placed teams and the third placed team is favoured over the 4th placed team.

25 minutes ago, ropy said:

It's just a pecking order, the top flight team is favoured over the Championship teams, the 2nd place team is favoured over the third and fourth placed teams and the third placed team is favoured over the 4th placed team.

And yet it's contentious that the Premier League side should be placed higher in any such pecking order, in a way that it's not regarding those finishing in a set order in the same division.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

The Premiership clubs have been doing this for a few years now with their 'Top 6' nonsense.

It is a real benifit being in the top six, especially if you're a smaller club like saints. Playing the top teams with decent crowds brings in the money, you're also guaranteed the 6th place pot of cash at the very least, then maybe European football. Would rather watch that than  being among 2500 fans watching Hamilton scrape a play off spot.