Sportsound Watch

6 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Doesn't the Premiership team have a full week to prepare while the winner of the Championship play-off semi final has played (usually) a high intensity game in the midweek (and if it's the team who finished 3rd/4th they'll have had to play weekend-midweek-weekend-midweek)? Doesn't the Premiership team always get the second leg at their home ground? 

That's not the case.

Premiership Bottom 6 finishes on the same day as the SF 2nd leg. Indeed on one occasion that has actually been televised on the Friday night, IIRC, so given the Championship club an extra day. Normally the penultimate Premiership matchday is also the preceding midweek at the same time as the SF 1st leg.

This is the typical schedule come the season's end:

Weekend ... Premiership #35 ... Championship #36
Midweek ... ---------------------- ... 4th v 3rd
Weekend ... Premiership #36 ... 3rd v 4th
Midweek ... Premiership #37 ... [QF] v 2nd
Weekend ... Premiership #38 ... 2nd v [QF]
Midweek ... [SF] v 11th
Weekend ... 11th v [SF]

In all the playoff rounds, across all the divisions, the higher-placed clubs receive the 2nd leg at home with the club from the division above ranked highest of all.

That was also the case in SFL - including the short-lived Premier Division playoffs in 1990s - except the Finals for the lower league playoffs used to be decided by a draw.

Edited by HibeeJibee

It is a real benifit being in the top six, especially if you're a smaller club like saints. Playing the top teams with decent crowds brings in the money, you're also guaranteed the 6th place pot of cash at the very least, then maybe European football. Would rather watch that than  being among 2500 fans watching Hamilton scrape a play off spot.

Hearts being in the bottom 6 feels like a relegation only in miniature. You only have to live with the effects for a month as opposed to a year but it's still a bummer

20 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

It doesn't favour anyone, that's just an absolutely Shite excuse for getting horsed.

And yet it does, for all the reasons already given.

It's actually possible to forget who you or others support you know guys, in discussing aspects of football with them.

Despite talking about him and the betting stuff surrounding him, neither Barry Ferguson nor Scott McDonald knew Dean Brett's name, with both repeatedly calling him 'Bret' throughout. I think Ferguson even called him 'Bert' him at one point. They clearly thought the guy's first name was Bret.

Wasn't Jim Goodwin on just a few weeks ago? With the hundreds of managers, coaches and players in the game why bring the same guy in for a second time to discuss things we heard just a few weeks ago? Nothing against Goodwin he's seems like a nice enough bloke.

A novel idea...maybe have a new person in for some insightful discussion? Maybe have someone new every few weeks instead of the same dross on all the time.

20 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Are there that many footballers capable of appearing on telly/radio and discussing things coherently? I think it was Ryan Stevenson on sportscene who just sort of sat there and gave two word answers.

You would think there might be some people in the game who are capable and quite fancy it. Anything has to be better than the likes of Pat Bonner who is excruciating to listen to.

It's been said many, many times but Pat Bonner really is awful.  I listened on the drive back from Kilmarnock and he was on.

"Before today I haven't seen Aberdeen play other than against Celtic, where they were very defensive, so this was different"

Just now, StandFree03 said:

It's embarrassing. Why anyone at the BBC thinks that's acceptable is beyond me.

The BBC also seem to think it's acceptable to have an absolute jobber like Miller say things on air like "Why should I have to research a player?" The significant majority of folk that appear on the programme each weekend and through the week are just part of the "job for the boys" club.

It's been said many, many times but Pat Bonner really is awful.  I listened on the drive back from Kilmarnock and he was on.
"Before today I haven't seen Aberdeen play other than against Celtic, where they were very defensive, so this was different"

I found myself listening to the podcast on my way home from work on Monday and couldn't believe he said that. He's someone whose job is to talk about and give insight into Scottish football, and this is the first time he has seen the second best team in the country apart from games against his old team.