Sportsound Watch

16 hours ago, jim999 said:

he's getting reemed by two far more intelligent studio guests in Stewart and English 

If Michael Stewart knew what half the words he says actually meant then I would maybe agree.

Just listened to the podcast.

Nothing wrong with the opinion that Shinnie etc aren't good enough but f**k me that's an outrageous outburst from Boyd.

That's his fellow professionals that he's talking about there.  I hope Shinnie remembers that for the game at Rugby Park in a few weeks.

re: the "lazy journalism" point:
Sorry, but a recent Scotland player (and a pretty well-known one at that) saying that certain players shouldn't be picked is newsworthy.
Are you trying to say that if Wayne Rooney said this or that player shouldn't be in the England squad, that wouldn't make headlines?

I listen to the programme most evenings as I do enjoy it and like the different opinions. Always good to hear the different ways these guys see things whether or not I agree or not ain't a big deal. It's also sometimes a good laugh as a lot of the guests are fairly dense or that one sided it's quite funny.

I can see how Boyd's opinion last night is worthy of discussion and perhaps newsworthy at a low level but it can't surely be the main headline, top story on our national radio station's sports bulletin?
Moyes is off to West Ham, Andy Murray is making a comeback from injury today, the autumn tests start this weekend. All bigger news than an opinion.
For what it's worth I do think some of his points had validity, to a point, but he went doolally last night.

You use Rooney as an hypothetical. Fair enough but I genuinely don't think Rooney would be so aggressive and condemning about a fellow pro in the same league he operates getting selected for his national team.

Michael Stewart on football is ok. He makes some good points, is fairly intelligent and is quite respectful. Kris Boyd on the other hand is not. He lacks humility, barely has a command of the English language and I don’t agree with him on his points. I think Shinnie and Christie are both deserved of getting the nod to be in the squad and given a chance. This is a friendly at a time where we are looking for a new manager and we need to look at the pool of players from home and abroad (England et al.) NI, ROI and Wales all have players that may not be deemed international class who’ve been given a chance. Especially NI who have qualified for tournament and a play off with several Scottish Premiership players in their teams making use of their talents and guile. The Dons players may not be in the first XI but I think having some new players out there pushing themselves to be in the squad only helps our game and gives us options. Strachan was far to closed minded and in the end he failed.

Boyd didn’t want Strachan to go. That tells you everything. I honestly cannot believe he gets on the radio or tv. If I was a Killie player I’d be pretty annoyed with him. Lauding another club in the division whilst at same time opining in studio when he should be concentrating on playing as much as he can.

Glad he’s not a Jag. He’d be run out of Firhill if he did on our watch.

I listen to the programme most evenings as I do enjoy it and like the different opinions. Always good to hear the different ways these guys see things whether or not I agree or not ain't a big deal. It's also sometimes a good laugh as a lot of the guests are fairly dense or that one sided it's quite funny.

I can see how Boyd's opinion last night is worthy of discussion and perhaps newsworthy at a low level but it can't surely be the main headline, top story on our national radio station's sports bulletin?
Moyes is off to West Ham, Andy Murray is making a comeback from injury today, the autumn tests start this weekend. All bigger news than an opinion.
For what it's worth I do think some of his points had validity, to a point, but he went doolally last night.

You use Rooney as an hypothetical. Fair enough but I genuinely don't think Rooney would be so aggressive and condemning about a fellow pro in the same league he operates getting selected for his national team.

That’s a great point. Boyd went over he top last night. Calling out fellow professionals whilst he is still one to me is not on.

Either retire and be a pundit or play. I don’t like these players / pundits in studio. Wee McDonald is another one. Can’t abide them.

17 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Either retire and be a pundit or play. I don’t like these players / pundits in studio. Wee McDonald is another one. Can’t abide them.

Yep, in the past couple of years the pair of them have been actively, publicly supporting one half of the cheeks while playing for a competitor from the same division, which is total boot in the baws to the clubs and fans who are paying their wages.

Then again, the ex-pros who still manage to spend the whole time sitting on the fence so as not to upset their mates in the game (Steven Thompson, I'm talking about you) aren't much better.

I can't really see anything ever changing, though. At least, not while both TV and radio punditry are a 'jobs for the boys' profession. Which they probably always will be.

Edited by Nightmare

Boyd’s stupidity and uncontrollable anger is fantastic to listen to, but I’d be mortified if one of our players behaved in this way towards other professionals.

Killie are happy to let him talk shite about every other club in the league but they had the gall to ban him from appearing in the immediate aftermath of Lee McCulloch’s sacking.

Minter.

I thought he was a bit heavy handed.... but to be fair to him, is he wrong? I thought his point was fairly valid.

Right. He could either do a Willie Miller and say nothing at all, or pull a Michael Stewart and put on a pretend accent and say nothing at all, or he could go a bit over the top and give his opinion.

There’s a happy medium between “Biscuits” and Craig Burley.

8 minutes ago, Hammer Jag said:

Boyd’s stupidity and uncontrollable anger is fantastic to listen to, but I’d be mortified if one of our players behaved in this way towards other professionals.

Killie are happy to let him talk shite about every other club in the league but they had the gall to ban him from appearing in the immediate aftermath of Lee McCulloch’s sacking.

Minter.

It'll be similar to Scott Mcdonald that there will be a sort of gentlemans agreement with Killie that he sees his life after football in punditry therefore he's granted this time to do this media work.  The unfortunate side of being a Scottish football pundit is that it pays to have a heavy leniency towards one of 'them'.  Killie have obviously accepted this side of Boyd.

I must admit it really wouldn't be tolerated in Aberdeen.  One of the best things about Mcinnes' reign in Aberdeen is that he's eradicated any public showings of affection for the OF by the team (he says as Mcinnes is about to depart to Rangers :lol:).