Sportsound Watch

3 minutes ago, codfish said:

Was interesting to hear Willie Miller talking about Aberdeen’s new signings and commenting that ‘he had no idea of their style’, but that Longstaff ‘had scored a couple in the Premier League’. This was, apparently, a justification for why he was surprised they both started.

I mean, the guy is literally only there to talk about Aberdeen - some minor research surely wouldn’t be beyond him.

He proudly admits he doesn't do any research before games.

He proudly admits he doesn't do any research before games.

I mean, it’s certainly one approach. Given the regular appearances of Derek Ferguson and Pat Bonner, I assume it’s the BBC-mandated one.

7 hours ago, The Master said:

I heard that. 

I’d put more of the blame there on Richard Gordon because it’s up to the presenter to say something like “to Rugby Park now where Leanne Crichton will be watching Kilmarnock against Inverness Caley Thistle”.

It’s just another consequence of “Open All Mics” being less of a scores and results service, and more of a chat amongst old pals that happens to be broadcast on the radio. 

It's amazing to me that they don't seem to get any basic training.

The basic facts are so often not communicated.  The pundits themselves apparently lack the wit to work out what the role demands, so need some guidance.  If it's being offered, it's clearly not regarded as a problem if you ignore it.

19 minutes ago, codfish said:

I mean, it’s certainly one approach. Given the regular appearances of Derek Ferguson and Pat Bonner, I assume it’s the BBC-mandated one.

I think that's harsh on Ferguson. He generally knows what he's talking about, and struggles to put it across, which is obviously a problem in itself.

I'd rather listen to Ferguson mangling sensible thoughts than Bonner and Miller though.

I think that's harsh on Ferguson. He generally knows what he's talking about, and struggles to put it across, which is obviously a problem in itself.
I'd rather listen to Ferguson mangling sensible thoughts than Bonner and Miller though.

I’ll give you that. Articulating it is clearly not a strength, but I dare say he knows far more than the other two mentioned.

Stuart Kettlewell was reasonable for the short time I listened today. A nice break from the usual suspects too.

44 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Miller sounds like he’s doing you a favour being at the game

At least Ferguson sounds like he had a genuine interest in Scottish football 

32 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Miller sounds like he’s doing you a favour being at the game

At least Ferguson sounds like he had a genuine interest in Scottish football 

Ferguson is professional, does his research and clearly takes the role seriously. His weegie accent goes against him harshly, but he clearly enjoys being a reporter at the games on a Saturday.

Miller is a daft old fud who doesn't want to be there but clearly needs the money.

I know the BBC don't care much for Scottish football, especially outwith the OF, but this laughable report from the top of the table clash in the Scottish Championship triggered me much more than it should have.

Report.thumb.JPG.f9a275d9f8a38edfe333b502ae5f45ef.JPG

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

If Crichton genuinely spent that amount of time talking without the context pointing out where she was (eg discussion of players, results etc), then I'd say she deserves the blame.

Part of the issue she shares with a lot of other current/former players drafted into the BBC's coverage is that they don't seem to understand the requirements of reporting for radio - the listener needs context, a bit of colour commentary and actual factual information, concisely conveyed. It's not an easy skill and I think Crichton and many of her contemporaries think they can just turn up and waffle as if they were on a tv highlights show, forgetting that their audience doesn't have any visuals to rely on.

22 hours ago, resk said:

Let's not forget the pig-headed refusal to do anything so wild as to look up, read and understand the laws of the game.  

That is true for every single pundit/ex player that appears on any football programme on every channel in the UK.

6 hours ago, For Your Pies Only said:

Part of the issue she shares with a lot of other current/former players drafted into the BBC's coverage is that they don't seem to understand the requirements of reporting for radio - the listener needs context, a bit of colour commentary and actual factual information, concisely conveyed. It's not an easy skill and I think Crichton and many of her contemporaries think they can just turn up and waffle as if they were on a tv highlights show, forgetting that their audience doesn't have any visuals to rely on.

Absolutely this. Alas, the commentary is frequently just as lacking. Bring back David Francie, David Begg, Brian Moore. 

No, wait. Just the Davids.

On 29/08/2021 at 18:19, Boghead ranter said:

Anyone catch Packie Bonner today justifying that Celtic's defeat was a 'good' one?

Reason being that "Celtic now know which areas of their team isn't good enough".

I believe your average football follower knew that beforehand.

Bonner is an imbecile !