Sportsound Watch

11 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Allan Preston - “Scottish teams don’t get to play enough competitive games before European ties start”

Also Allan Preston - “Scottish teams shouldn’t have to play the weekend before European ties”

Allan Preston.

Hearts windbag.

Best ignored as he’s a havering halfwit. 

8 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Allan Preston.

Hearts windbag.

Best ignored as he’s a havering halfwit. 

Do you think more competitive games before playing in the early rounds in Europe Europe would be a bad thing?

I'm not arsed really about the weekend off before a European tie, but there's a rationale for it.

Don't see what's so mad about what he's said. A bit of playing the man not the ball going on here.

Edited by VincentGuerin

23 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’ve never really bought the idea of ‘helping’ clubs in Europe. The major beneficiary of European success is the club itself, not the wider domestic game. Balancing these games is part of the challenge. 

These teams have big squads and should be able to cope with 2 games a week. Play a second string if you need to. Seems to me it's a likely to help the team in the domestic season as it is to help them in Europe. We've already got Celtic and Ranger with huge advantages over other teams in rhe league, anything that helps level that playing field is a good thing in my book.

2 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

Do you think more competitive games before playing in the early rounds in Europe Europe would be a bad thing?

I'm not arsed really about the weekend off before a European tie, but there's a rationale for it.

Don't see what's so mad about what he's said. A bit of playing the man not the ball going on here.

Due to his general waffling, Joe Pasqualesque voice, I tend not to listen.

In reality, is playing lower league teams from Leagues 1 & 2 a real test in any event? 

2 hours ago, houston_bud said:

These teams have big squads and should be able to cope with 2 games a week. Play a second string if you need to. Seems to me it's a likely to help the team in the domestic season as it is to help them in Europe. We've already got Celtic and Ranger with huge advantages over other teams in rhe league, anything that helps level that playing field is a good thing in my book.

Yes agreed. It comes under the pretext that Scottish clubs are undertaking some noble representation of the entire game when they compete in Europe. 

The reality is these clubs want to use European games to gain a financial advantage over domestic competition. 

The idea that you then demand help to cope with your domestic obligations is just a bit pathetic. 

44 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Due to his general waffling, Joe Pasqualesque voice, I tend not to listen.

In reality, is playing lower league teams from Leagues 1 & 2 a real test in any event? 

I think competitive games or friendlies before you play in Europe is an easy choice.

I'd certainly rather Hearts had been in them this season. It's a pretty bizarre view to say that not playing competitively before playing European games (often against teams midway through their season) is a good thing.

But, whatever you reckon.

3 hours ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think competitive games or friendlies before you play in Europe is an easy choice.

I'd certainly rather Hearts had been in them this season. It's a pretty bizarre view to say that not playing competitively before playing European games (often against teams midway through their season) is a good thing.

But, whatever you reckon.

We played Preston & Charlton this pre-season. 

Both games were played competitively & at a fair lick & were a far harder test than the pish we played in the League Cup group last year. 

Edited by Thenorthernlight

13 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

We played Preston & Charlton this pre-season. 

Both games were played competitively & at a fair kick & were a far harder test than the pish we played in the League Cup group last year. 

Aberdeen were not using those games to prepare for playing in Europe.

This is not an issue remotely close enough to my heart to go round in circles with you on it. You're just obviously playing the man not the ball, as mentioned above. What he said was a perfectly valid suggestion. You can agree or disagree with him (I agree with his first point but not his second), but it's not some ridiculous shout.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Yes agreed. It comes under the pretext that Scottish clubs are undertaking some noble representation of the entire game when they compete in Europe. 

The reality is these clubs want to use European games to gain a financial advantage over domestic competition. 

The idea that you then demand help to cope with your domestic obligations is just a bit pathetic. 

Of course the major beneficiary is the club itself; however, and as much as it pains me, Hearts and Aberdeen would find it very difficult to reach group stage football had it not been for Sevco's results in Europe over a period of time.

I think PAOK and Aston Villa will prove that over the next couple of weeks.

However, if Scottish clubs can build something from having group stage football from finishing 3rd domestically then maybe we'll start giving ourselves a fighting chance.

Therefore, I consider that quite beneficial.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Id rather biscuits admit he doesn't know the first thing about Thistle rather than tell me 3 times they got to the playoff final last year.

Turns out it wasn't a stiff test against a great team flying under Doolan after all but a cakewalk against a team with one half decent result so far this year.

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Aberdeen were not using those games to prepare for playing in Europe.

This is not an issue remotely close enough to my heart to go round in circles with you on it. You're just obviously playing the man not the ball, as mentioned above. What he said was a perfectly valid suggestion. You can agree or disagree with him (I agree with his first point but not his second), but it's not some ridiculous shout.

No, it’s not ridiculous at all. 
I just don’t agree with it.

Personally I think Scottish football should trial a couple of seasons summer football, but that’s an entirely different subject. 

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

Of course the major beneficiary is the club itself; however, and as much as it pains me, Hearts and Aberdeen would find it very difficult to reach group stage football had it not been for Sevco's results in Europe over a period of time.

I think PAOK and Aston Villa will prove that over the next couple of weeks.

However, if Scottish clubs can build something from having group stage football from finishing 3rd domestically then maybe we'll start giving ourselves a fighting chance.

Therefore, I consider that quite beneficial.

Now, go upstairs & wash your mouth out with soap

When you’ve done that, give yourself a good talking to in the mirror to reflect on your words. 

I thought the most amusing comment when they were discussing the schedule ahead of European matches was when Gordon foolishly introduced Pat "Packy" Bonner.

I am paraphrasing, but while Gordon was enthusing about us having clubs competing for group stage football, or actually havng it in Aberdeens case, Bonner seemed to suggest that "the other clubs" (not Rangers/Celtic) need to do more, and  ensure they have teams capable of competing in the league, cups and Europe.

He seemed to want the likes of us (and hearts and Aberdeen) to spend a pile of cash just in case we get further in the Euro competitions................

I can only assume his mind was scrambled as Killie had just shown that they "wanted it more" against Celtic........

On 21/08/2023 at 08:57, Leith Green said:

I thought the most amusing comment when they were discussing the schedule ahead of European matches was when Gordon foolishly introduced Pat "Packy" Bonner.

I am paraphrasing, but while Gordon was enthusing about us having clubs competing for group stage football, or actually havng it in Aberdeens case, Bonner seemed to suggest that "the other clubs" (not Rangers/Celtic) need to do more, and  ensure they have teams capable of competing in the league, cups and Europe.

He seemed to want the likes of us (and hearts and Aberdeen) to spend a pile of cash just in case we get further in the Euro competitions................

I can only assume his mind was scrambled as Killie had just shown that they "wanted it more" against Celtic........

Pat Bonner is a havering halfwit.

His knowledge of Scottish football is scant, at best. 
I think he even talks utter shite about Celtic. 

He comes across as a pleasant bloke, but my God, he’s a hard listen (invariably I don’t). 

21 hours ago, Thenorthernlight said:

Pat Bonner is a havering halfwit.

His knowledge of Scottish football is scant, at best. 
I think he even talks utter shite about Celtic. 

He comes across as a pleasant bloke, but my God, he’s a hard listen (invariably I don’t). 

Bonner would be brilliant if you bumped in to him in a pub and had a few pints, no need for accuracy, just a laugh.

On 20/08/2023 at 20:05, Thenorthernlight said:

No, it’s not ridiculous at all. 
I just don’t agree with it.

Personally I think Scottish football should trial a couple of seasons summer football, but that’s an entirely different subject. 

The "summer football" argument always makes me smile. Last season, our season started in July and ended at the beginning of June. Would you suggest that we start in February and end at the beginning of January?