Children Should Be Banned...

Mjölnir

Every time I go upstairs and forget why, I blame it on heading sodden, mud soaked leather footballs in the midfield from goal kicks. They could always make kids play with even lighter ones than the already light modern football.

Obviously it's an instance of political correctness gone mad, but I don't think it's the worst idea in the world IF it encouraged the stars of tomorrow to play with the ball on the deck rather than big hoofs up the park until their 'necks developed the strength required'.

Obviously it's an instance of political correctness gone mad, but I don't think it's the worst idea in the world IF it encouraged the stars of tomorrow to play with the ball on the deck rather than big hoofs up the park until their 'necks developed the strength required'.

:unsure2:

I went to an egg chasing school in the 1980s. I could have told them back then that sending fat specky kids out in the freezing weather to play a game they didn't understand or care about was bad for their physical and mental health. This is probably why I'm not currently Professor of Extreme Cleverness at Oxford.

Every time I go upstairs and forget why, I blame it on heading sodden, mud soaked leather footballs in the midfield from goal kicks. They could always make kids play with even lighter ones than the already light modern football.

I'd like to see a world cup where they use these bad boys:

post-43879-0-82442000-1407774367.png

Would've been a much more interesting thread if you hadn't amended the title, IMO.

In fairness, in the last few years there have been a lot of articles written about brain damage among footballers, and apparently it could be quite serious. I remember one that suggested that damage to the brain from heading footballs over a career could be similar to that suffered by boxers. If true, it's worth making people aware of, as I'm sure there are people who happily play football that would consider boxers lunatics for risking their long-term mental functioning.

Seriously! I'm not taking the piss out of footballers' intelligence, honest! :lol:

I went to an egg chasing school in the 1980s. I could have told them back then that sending fat specky kids out in the freezing weather to play a game they didn't understand or care about was bad for their physical and mental health. This is probably why I'm not currently Professor of Extreme Cleverness at Oxford.

I went to one in the 1960s, some things never change. (I was a thin, speccy kid, but otherwise you're spot on.)

Archived