Female Managers in the SPFL? In the Premiership?

I see that Lowland League club University of Stirling have just announced the appointment of Shelley Kerr as their new manager - making her the first female manager of a British senior mens football club (and arguably the first of a professional club given a good proportion of Stirling players are effectively full-time).

In principle, this could see a female manager in the Scottish League next season - as Stirling finished 2nd last season and going one better would mean the playoffs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28856370

However it got me thinking. Assuming that doesn't occur - how long until a SPFL club appoints a woman? A few years perhaps, or a decade? It would have seemed unthinkable not long ago, but more recently, I'm less sure.

How long until a Premiership club appoints a female manager? Or is it possible there will never be a female top-tier gaffer in Scotland?

Thoughts?

There will at some point be a female who will break through to manage an SPFL club as the world changes and men's perceptions of what a woman should or should not do change through the years.

She will get there on merit rather than just because it's an ex player who used to be someone once, but don't expect most fans or some people in the game to take to it lightly as it is still viewed as a man's game for years to come.

I don't think we'll see a woman at a top flight club for many a year should a woman manage one of the lower tier clubs and be successful. but she will be the pioneer that broke the mould.

If a woman does manage a club in the SPFL and be completely incompetent then it will be a major set back in having more than woman manage a club.

There are more female fans today who attend matches than there were over two decades ago and many woman involved in being a pundit in the media so having a female as manager is the next logical step after the EPL allowing a female to be an "assistant ref" ?? LINESMAN ffs in the EPL a few years ago and she has fought tooth and nail to be there on merit alone.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I imagine most of the sexist comments are ripping the piss and playing on what people expect football forum fans to say. I see nothing wrong with a female manager if she's up to it. I had a drunk conversation in the pub a while back actually about the day Football becomes a mixed sex sport.

Imagine the outrage when you're male 7ft centre half squishes the pacey 5ft female winger.

Edit: Or better yet when you're female 7ft centre half squishes the pacey 5ft male winger. :thumsup2

To be honest, I imagine most of the sexist comments are ripping the piss and playing on what people expect football forum fans to say. I see nothing wrong with a female manager if she's up to it. I had a drunk conversation in the pub a while back actually about the day Football becomes a mixed sex sport.

Imagine the outrage when you're male 7ft centre half squishes the pacey 5ft female winger.

Edit: Or better yet when you're female 7ft centre half squishes the pacey 5ft male winger. :thumsup2

It'll never become a mixed sex sport, fortunately.

Struggle to see a female manager being a success, the male minds programmed to despise the sound of a woman so hearing one screech at you at half time about not doing something good enough would cause a fucking meltdown rather than inspire. It might not be right, but its what would happen.

It'll never become a mixed sex sport, fortunately.

Struggle to see a female manager being a success, the male minds programmed to despise the sound of a woman so hearing one screech at you at half time about not doing something good enough would cause a fucking meltdown rather than inspire. It might not be right, but its what would happen.

Or maybe she would have the ability to remain calm and composed in getting her point across, unlike so many "fitba men".

On the original point about female managers in the SPFL, I doubt someone like Anne Budge would be afraid to appoint one if she thought she was the best candidate.

Morag Pirie has been lineswoman at a few Dundee games (right in front of the Derry 8) )....she did ok.

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things with relation to the thrust of this thread but one of the games she did at Dens I was sat in the SE for a change and she got pelters for a couple of (probably) poor calls, there were lots of shouts about getting back to the kitchen etc. I think it will take a long time for a more enlightened attitude to permeate the zeitgeist of football fans. Craig Brewster used to get slated for his perceived sexuality on a regular basis.

I think it works both ways, though.... I've certainly observed that some fans who will berate a male ref or linesman, don't seem to do the same with a female official, perhaps because: [1] they think others will take exception to it, assuming they're sexist; or [2] they feel uncomfortable abusing a woman.

The point I was trying to make yesterday is that we're unlikely to see a female boss in the SPFL until the top ladies team, at least, is managed/coached by a female.

The game would be so much better if we got away from appointing only people with a football background.

So you are looking for some kind of rugby or cricket coach for your next gaffer?

I would always want my clubs manager to have had a background in football.

The point I was trying to make yesterday is that we're unlikely to see a female boss in the SPFL until the top ladies team, at least, is managed/coached by a female.

Thistle ladies are managed/coached by males too. It would be interesting to hear how many of the ladies teams were managed by females.

Archived